Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alexander Brothers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Excellent choice for a front page post. These guys were rulers.

Two things: First of all, I still disagree with the wheel choice for the restored Grasshopper; I still don't think it looks right.

And second: What about their Crown Victoria, the one with the 1957 DeSoto (I think!) rolled pans? Anyone have a picture of that? A really big one?

Again, great post! Nice work.

3. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

to me the alexander bros. were the best of their era;great design & superb workmanship. the second version of the victorion in candy burgandy & with revised sidetrim and the bailey merc showcase their talents perfectly . so many others as well.mike is an absolute gentleman and larry r.i.p.

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

Every kid from my generation knows the Deora(my 3 year old nephew knows it)and the Grasshopper.3 Ridier awards I believe in a 4 year span.Just incredible.I also think that Mike had a lot to do with the ASC convertibles in the 80s and 90s.

5. Rikster

Rikster

Dave Jenkins photo

[​IMG]

6. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

One of my favorite builders from my youth. I remember seeing a series of build articles on the Deora and thinking. "60 Ford wagon tailgate? That is friggin Genious!

7. Visionaries and car builders with taste. They put out a lot of well designed cars and trucks. My favorite Eastern builders. Valley Custom gets my vote for the West. Tasteful, easy to look at customs. Pat.

8. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

9. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Theo-
    You are so right about the Grasshoppers wheel choice (originally had Olds Fiesta caps)- But I couldn't find an original picture of it anywhere!

10. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

Agreed. Some of the details in the deora were amazing. I can't recall how many 1/24 scale kits of that car I built and then tried to further "customize" when I was about 11...

11. bob-o

bob-o

The Alexander Bros are RULERS. Thanks for this thread, Jive-Bomber :)

The Victorian is in my Top 10 Favorite Customs list for sure (obviously). I hear that it's being restored... Anybody have any news about that?

PS. That's a great photo of it, Rik. I've never seen that one before! Thanks for sharing :)

12. Not only great customizers but great guys as well. I met them at the GNRS in '99 standing outside the Cow palace and Larry just started talking to me. At first I had no idea who it was but we just chatted like we had known each other for years after I figured out who it was it was cool to know what a really down to earth great guy he was. Thanks for the post Jive Bomber

13. The Victorian was at a KKOA Show in Holland, Mi some years back and I don't think they knew what they had, heard it was being put back, but have seen nothing of the car other than a photo in Rod and Kustom back than. I also heard the owner of the A Bros Purple Pelican 54 Ford still owns it and was rumored to be re-storing it. As a Native Detroiter - RIP Larry A , no doubt a huge contributer to our areas, as well as Americas Kustom scene.

14. autobilly

autobilly

Great cars, great guys and great post, but everyone knows, guys in the '50's didn't have tattoos.:D

15. hemifarris

hemifarris

The above car was built for my good friend, Sy Gregorich. Sy always owned ,and drove, bitchin' cars. He was in town visiting his family and old buddies. He looks great. He's now living in California.
    Mike and Larry built cars for several more of my friends;
    1) Bob Massaron's '56 Chevrolet "Venturian". Bob kept adding and adding. I didn't care for the final project but he did and that's all that matters.
    2) Bill Whetstone's '60 Ford "Adonis"
    I was lucky enough to hang out at their shop in 1960-61 when I was 15 years old............

16. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

on rik hovings site there are pictures of the start of the victorians restoration. i believe they are several years old

17. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I met one of them at a SF Rod and Custom show at the Cow Palace. Sadly, his name escapes me now. As K13 stated, he was a nice fellow and willing to chat with someone he had never met. I was duly impressed. He was in the area of a couple of their cars, one was the Deora and I think the other was that nifty green pick up. Really nice cars and a nice gentleman.

18. lukey

lukey

The victorian is tied as my #1 all time favorite kustom!

19. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

The Alexander Brothers are among the best. I'm the current caretaker of the Adonis re-creation and have been lucky enough to meet both Mike Alexander and Bill Whetstone.

RIP Larry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. hemifarris

hemifarris

Bill's a great guy. He still owns a lot of fabulous cars and pickups.I was lucky enough to hang out at Alexander Brother's shop during the Adonis construction, I was 15. I have breakfast with him Saturday mornings. We call it the breakfast club. We started with 8-12 guys back in the late 70s. Now we have 80-115 guys every Saturday.

21. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Very cool, what an amazing time that must have been and cool that you're still gathering. Bill is great and his story of buying the car new in December of 1959 and taking it to the A Brothers within a couple of months is incredible. He drove that car everywhere!

By the way, your '59 El Camino is stunning. Really inspiring.

22. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks sylvian. Back at you as far as neat cars are concerned. Bill is impressed with your build. He drove the Adonis to many of Bob Larivee's "Promotions Inc." shows. Back then, Bob Larivee (Detroit Autorama founder) would pay some of the guys money to show up. Bill Whetstone was one of those fellows. Bill would leave Detroit and drive straight through to Dallas for a show, then head somewhere else for the next weekend. Bill is a great guy and very interesting to talk with. I'm handicapped now and can't walk very far. Sometimes I sure wish I could turn back the hands of time......Mike

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

Really great guys, Both of them were quick with a smile, a firm hand shake, and a word of encouragement....They were the perfect combination of true talent,.. and humility.

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

Not trying to be picky,... But just to get the record straight,... Bob Larivee is NOT the Detroit Autorama founder,... The Detroit Autorama was a joint effort of all the clubs that made up the MHRA, To raise money to build a Drag Strip.

Professional promoter Don Ridler was hired in 1956 to promote The Detroit Autorama,.. Bob had a chance to work with him,... And learned the trade very well.

Bob was a member of MMAC (Same club the Alexander Brothers belonged to), and he was at the first Autorama painting show signs, and eventually becoming a prominent promoter. in 1959 Bob and his Brother Marvin founded "Promotions,Inc." He was also in the inception of ISCA, and CASI.

Bob still handles the promotions with CASI,.. But the show is still run with MHRA,... Bob is a friend and a fellow MHRA Member,.... But the founder of The Detroit Autorama is Michigan Hot Rod Association.

Please note,.. no offense intended to anybody,...Just wanted to get this straight. :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  25. The victorian was a heavy influence in my custom life, and in my car. Midwest pride.

26. hemifarris

hemifarris

No offense taken by me. I stand corrected.:)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  27. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

John Schleicher of St. Paul, Minnesota is the one that did the build on the Adonis recreation, I was just lucky enough to acquire it. He did a beautiful high quality job on the car and was helped by both Bill Whetstone and Mike Alexander. They had many photos, details and drawings that were scrutinized.

28. thesupersized

thesupersized

I love the alexander brothers' style, the interiors were as cool as the outisde.

Attached Files:

29. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Very true...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]