Register now to get rid of these ads!

Appleton spotlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kkoacolonel, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Here's what it looks like. The plastic handle and the knob on the back is what I need to replace.

[​IMG]

2. Chad s

Chad s

That is another variation of the appleton/lorraine handle from the later 40's (Appleton 552 era). The easiest to find are the 112 era handles, but these later ones do come up. Finding them in maroon will be very hard!

The switch knob is a bit different than the one in the 552 handle I posted in the pic, but it should be interchangeable. The handle definately is the same. If you found a pair of appleton 451's, you could rape the parts and have the right plastic, but in a cream color.

3. Chad s

Chad s

A pair of these turned on up ebay last year. The guy claims to have ordered them from one of the Barris adds in the mid 50's. They were not marked "Appleton" anywhere on them, in fact there were no makers markings to be found anywhere on them, but they matched the profile of the ones in the adds from the little books perfectly. He had the bid starting at $600, and I think there was a reserve. They didnt sell that time, but I think they were re-listed later, but may have not sold then either.

I would have liked to have them, but I wasnt willing to pay that for them.

4. The color in the pic isn't really what they look like. They are more like a chocolate color. I wouldn't care if they were white or black. Chocolate doesn't go with my interior.

5. Chad s

Chad s

I would just find a pair of appleton handles you can use. The dark reddish brown color your describing was a Lorraine thing. Generally, if an Appleton handle was any color other than cream, it was for a specific car (i.e early 40's cadillac was white plastic on an appleton, strudebaker was dark brown).

I can PM you with the number of a guy who can sell you just the handles, all he deals in is spotlights, and has any part you could ask for (though dont count on a passenger side 49-51 merc bracket, that will be a challange, best off shaping one to fit) when I get home.

6. Thanks. I'll call him and see what he knows.

7. Rikster

Rikster

Very intersting post.

I have been collecting photos of Appleton Spots for some time and tried to sort them best I could. There is still so much "mistery" about the spotlights.

I have a special section for them on my site. Some folders contain more info on how to mount them, others just show the spots as I found the photos on the internet (mostly on ebay etc) sorted by brand and #.

Appleton/Lorainne Spotlight section

8. Beecher

Beecher

not on my 40 coupe yet, i need a handfull of parts (like lenses, some plastic, and some hard bits). But heres a pic to make you drool. They are stamped Feb 14 1940 in green ink on the back of the reflectors. They need some ding removal, and some chrome. But i can hardly wait.

I guess technically these are Lorraines, but it says "An Appleton Electric Company" on the badge. I was going to remove the badge when i restore them, but someone warned me against it due to loosing their value. Havnt decided a plan of action yet. but i do love these things.

Attached Files:

9. Beecher

Beecher

oh, and yeah, i have a matched pair!!!

10. Chad s

Chad s

Drool? That would look good on a cop car! Sorry, had to say it!

11. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

This is an amazing post.
    I'm piecing together a set of 112s, and it's posts like this which really keep me going.
    Thanks to Chad S. and to everyone else as well.
    You guys are a font of information.

12. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

Make sure you have 112's with the same shape there's two styles one has a taller/sharper peak and the other has a blunter peak like the 552's. I'm still looking for a 112 with a sharper peak been buying Appletons on ebay to make a pair, I also just realized I've collected over 10+ sets/pairs and some singles and still have not found the one I need.

13. I am looking for a set of teardrop Appletons. I believe they might be 112 series? I am looking to put a set on my 51 Mercury. Can anyone help me out? Looking for either the complete, useable spotlights or true Appleton dummies. I have a few Mercs I am going to need them for. Please let me know. Thanks, Jason.

14. appleton guy

appleton guy

I have one Appleton 112 series spotlight that is in mint/near mint condition. No pitting that I can see and no dings. Is there anybody who could offer some advice as to their worth. I intend to sell the spotlight.

Please email me
    -Mike
    [email protected]

15. gpbrianbaja

gpbrianbaja
    from oregon

Currently I am in Iraq and I will be returning home in December. I am looking for a good set of Appleton spotlights to put on my 51 merc. Does anyone know where I can get a set?
    Thank you

16. jay

jay

I was helping my friend clean his garage and came across a dust covered box...Curiosity got the best of me and i opened the box to find a pair of appeltons staring back at me...after calming down i asked him about them and he told me he had run them on a dodge he had back in the 50's...he had forgotten all about them...told me he also had a ding dong bell hooked to the door so it chimed when you opened the door....he gave me the spotlights to put on my 38....i cant wait to get them on

17. Chad s

Chad s

Nice, what model number are they?

18. FASI

FASI

This is one of the pair on my Chevy. These are Appleton S-552 and were the original spots installed by Barris when they built the original Larry Ernst Chev. I bought these from the current owner/restorer of Rev. Ernst's car and had them restored and put them on the 2nd iteration of the Ernst car. This has been an interesting post by adding new to me info on the Appletons.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I love the look of teardrop spotlights on Customs.

Anyone know how/when the fad of placing them on customs started? Who got the ball rolling?

20. Chad s

Chad s

So they are the original pair off of the Ernst car? My pair of 552's also cam from the owner of a famous Barris car, and were purchased from Barris.

21. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

hey Bad Bob, could you make a mold from the good handle you have and cast a new one to match? just an idea. i'm sure you've already thought of that though.

22. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thats cool, just a little trinket that no one else (excpet the entire interweb) knows about when they look at your car. Which is amazing by the way.

23. jay

jay

Hey chad ... i think they are 112's they have a thumb switch on them but i am new to the spotlight game...the handle looks kinda like a ivory color....but it could have been white at one time...they have a few dings....but they will clean up nicely...i cant wait to put them on the 38

24. Chad s

Chad s

Is there a "series" number stamped on the chrome spotlight bucket itself? It would says "Series 112" under the APPLETON stamp, if they are 112's.

25. jay

jay

Hey chad.. you got my curiosity up so i went and got them out of their storage spot to see what they are...there is no appleton markings on them at all...so i may have a generic brand...they are still tear dropped so that is cool...the model number is a s35...they have about 2 inches of cloth wiring left on them so i am guessing that it will have to be changed out when i get ready to run them.

26. Chad s

Chad s

S35 is not an appleton number, maybe its a lorraine number? I have never seen an unmarked lorraine before. Is there any name on the handles?

27. alchemy

alchemy

I've had a ton of Appleton 112's over the years, but got something different over the weekend. Found a nice one chrome shaped exactly like a 112, but no stamped name and number. Wonder why? Has a switch and handle just like the rest of the 112s I've had.

Also got a NOS (with the install kit and part of the box) 112, but it is the painted war model. Some guys say chromers prefer to work with virgin parts though.

28. Chad s

Chad s

I have an unmarked one as well, they were made around the same time, its not a mistake or anything, just another varient. I actually am looking for a second one to complete a pair if you want to sell it.

29. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

I have an Appelton s-450. Its in very good shape chrome is in great shape. This thing worth anything? Not sure I wanna use it and may dump it.

[​IMG]

30. Chad s

Chad s

This is a very common spot, and is the style that was sold as an accessory at the dealer, or used on a cop car. It is not the style that was popular for a custom car in the early 50's. Its worth $30-80 depending on who wants it, and the condition of the chrome. Any dings or dents will severely lower the value, as these arnt desirable enough to send to a plater, when NOS ones can be had for $100-150.