Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rusty 55 chevy gasser project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrohonkey, Sep 8, 2009.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Great job!! Here was mine when I got it home. Pack rats had been in it. :)
    [​IMG]
    It cleaned up rather well though.
    [​IMG]
    Ever see one of the buggers? Big as a cat. LOL. Here's one on the E-brake cable.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Beau

Beau

Doin the same job on that Overhaulin show right now.

Nice work!

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

[Ever see one of the buggers? Big as a cat. LOL. Here's one on the E-brake cable.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like he died happy!!! But I'd take it if it came with that solid as hell lookin 55!!!!

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

He looked like a possum with long legs. :D He was a sail rat. I sailed him out into the field. :p:D

5. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I agree, major undertaking...but awesome job. Man where there is a will, there is a way!!! Can't wait to see this one standing tall. Good luck with the rest of the project...hell should be getting easier from here on out!

6. Wow...now that is a serious rat!

7. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

your my hero!! what a save! keep us posted!!! lots of pics.!!! i vote you for save of the year!!

8. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

NITRO...I usually get pissed when someone cut's up a 55-57 chevy. too make a gasser. but SIR i salute you. your the only person brave or crazy enough to save that old bucket of rust. and i'am leaning towards BRAVE! thank you for saving that old huppy, i'am fore ever in your dept. what a real person you are...POP.

9. Ahhh shit, you are making me blush!
    The only real unfortunate part is, the more I patch and paste, I feel inclined to build a early to mid 70s street racer out of it... no disrespect intended. I have a 671 for it and I'm still looking to put Halibrands on... more than likely ,even better, Craigars!!! Thinking along the lines of project-X style from Hollywood Knights! Only time will tell.
    At any rate, this 55 will be saved, no and's, if's, or but's! One more old car out there.
    Thanks for all of the kind words and encouragement...it's much appreciated. When you are in a position like mine, where talent is moderate, but funds are extremely limited,and young children run through the house, I end up with no money or time but somehow I find motivation when I am not drunk and staring at the hulk in the garage!
    I am 34 years old and feeling like the term..."Street Machine" is on the cusp of being old.
    Arguably, maybe, I should have died young, but promise no graffix style paint or centerline wheels...yet! :)
    Thanks, y'all!

10. Please send my ol'lady your point of view! Thanks dude!:D

11. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

Hi! Just found this thread. Congrats to you my friend! Don't listen to any BS that you might get from people! You nailed it when you typed about "1 more old car back on the road" and you will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself with 2 cars that nobody else woulda bothered with. That is quite admirable! I totally dig the 70's streetracer thing also. There was absolutely TONS of 60's gassers that were terrorizing the streets in the 70's (and even in the 60s!).

Go for it! I did the same thing with a couple throw-away '65 Dodges. Again, you were right: when done properly, nobody will ever be able to tell. Absolutely, entirely worth it!

www.primerking.com

12. PS do not forget to respect thy van!

13. racer756

racer756

Awesome!! You must be related to Jim Sibley>>:)

14. Since my welder seems to have taken a "dirt-nap" , decided to work at rebuilding the doors. The old gasser doors say "HUSTLER"... they appear to be 57 doors (based on the trim hole configuration). These doors have been gutted so I am going to put all of the inner-structure back so the doors latch properly and glass can be installed in the original fashion. The rusty 2 door, doors are donating the necessary parts along with some interchangeable 4 door, door pieces.

Attached Files:

15. indygasser

indygasser

16. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I love this one just the way it is.

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Unbelievable! I gotta admire your determination to take what looked like a goner and bring 'er back to life. Keep it up and keep us posted!

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

19. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Nitro thanks for your post when I saw the pictures of top looking like you took a can opener to it. I had my doubts where you were going. But then you got my attention nice save. Keep up the good work and the post. Ron

20. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Here what I started with

Attached Files:

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man you are truly dedicated that car was a rusty bone when you started and you saved it , the HAMB really has the most talented vintage tin resurectors on it

22. Butch M

Butch M

Man my hat is off to guys..... way to save em.....

23. Looks like you had some pack rats too!:eek:

24. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Looks great guys!

FYI, 55 and 57 doors are the same (minus the trim holes). On 56 doors the lock position is closer to the handle.

25. Funny you mention that, because when I had my '56 years ago everyone thought I was crazy when I told them the 55 and 57 doors are different!

26. 1955 Chevy door rebuild 003.jpg

1955 Chevy door rebuild 007.jpg

1955 Chevy door rebuild 008.jpg

1955 Chevy door rebuild 010.jpg

1955 Chevy door rebuild 013.jpg

1955 Chevy door rebuild 014.jpg

barn find 001.jpg Started cutting pieces from the very rusty pair of doors that came with the matching body...atleast it was a set!
    I plan to use the inners to repair these gutted old gasser doors. I want windows that roll up and wing vents, so between the two, should work out well!

27. Thanks,
    Your car has the street-racer look of the late 60's early 70's that I am going for...any chance you could post some pictures of your 55 on here? Thanks Jim

28. Dueceburnout

Dueceburnout

looking good JD. keep bustin on it. i want to see it at the show soon. you got a 671 huh. i need that for my crager SBC intake. you keep that 4 speed my old man built for ya? cus you know REAL cars have a stick. get the body in shape and i'll trade you fome some of my rusty crap. tell there fixed:-D. oh and even after all these years i still look up to your fugly ass. when you coming over to this side of the state? i have beer

29. Sure Jim, it ain't much, but it's all mine!

Back in the "day" (around 1977)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dragging it from it's sleep in the old garage......

[​IMG]
    in it's new home, still waiting....

[​IMG]

Put some new American 5 spokes on the front of it. (needed the chrome wheels for the 40).....

[​IMG]