Register now to get rid of these ads!

The YAY-HOO CUP... who's worthy?

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by BLAKE, Jul 31, 2012.

1. BLAKE

BLAKE

We'll be there again this year to award to uber-coveted YAY-HOO CUP to the quickest car driven to the event. For those unfamiliar with it, all you have to do is drive your car there (at least 150 miles), register at the spot where the Yay-Hoos are hanging out, and then bring us your quickest time slip. The champ gets their name added to the cup for posterity and a nifty dash plaque to keep for themselves.

This is the fourth year for The Cup, and the previous champs were:

2009 - Jeff 'FLAMEDABONE' Yocum (11.31)
    2010 - Jeff 'FLAMEDABONE' Yocum (10.98)
    2011 - Jason 'DASCHAEFER' Schaefer (10.61)

Here's the post describing Jason's win last year.

Who's up for it...!!?!?!?!

2. daschaefer

daschaefer

Competing for the coveteted Yay-Hoo Cup is the heart and soul of the HAMB drags! Real hot were meant to be driven not trailered...

I'll admit that over the years my family and luggage out-grew my Model-A and a trailer became part of traveling..... And I'll also admit that trailers help when you spill rods and pistons all over the track..... but I just want to thank the Yay-Hoos for reminding us to drive the wheels off of em.

To all you guys that drive em,,,, It really dont matter if you plan on being the fastest,,, I recommend signing up with the Yay-Hoo's so we can all brag about driving what we built and getting recognized for the miles we traveled.

PS. If you want your name on that cup... Im gonna make you work for it!

3. BLAKE

BLAKE

Ooooh... SNAP!

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm afraid i have nothing for Jason this year... Even on a perfect day on a perfect track, my little car doesn't have a 10.60 in her. The scaryiest part is Jasons 10.61 was his very first pass with a brand new combination and he spun the tires till about half track.

With some traction his little coupe might just be the very first car driven to the Drags that runs in the 9s. Seriously. Milner ain't gonna beat that....

Me and my little hot rod will be there giving it all shes got just the same.. I'm REEEALLY looking forward to it...number 10. Who da thunk it???

See you in less than three weeks. -Abone.

5. daschaefer

daschaefer

Anybody can build a fast car,,,making it truely roadworthy is another story

The FlamedAbone Sedan is the only car I know that can travel +1200 miles, hit the 10s, then load the gear and luggage and return +1200 miles.

The OrganGrinder is the only car at the HAMB that drives oner 300 miles and totes the front wheels in first and second

and looking at last years contenders:
    Mike Atchley - ATCH - 255 miles
    Bob Klessig - BOBK - 3289 miles
    Robin Harvey - RAVEN - 200 miles
    John Schurwan - JOHNNY WISHBONE - 310 miles
    Jason Holland - 400 miles
    Doug Shepherd - 400 miles

This equals over 4000 round trip miles accumulated. That equals over 250 gallons of dead dinosaurs sacraficially burnt in honor of the Yay-Hoo Cup and the Tradition of DRIVING hotrods.

Hoping that this year all the Cup contenders could meet and share some road-trip stories and maybe a group photo with the cars

IM READY !!!!!

6. BLAKE

BLAKE

Great idea...!!!

7. raven

raven

I'll be there with a slightly different setup than last year...
    and a few more miles.
    r

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figured it up the other day...When I get back this year my little car will have more than 25 thousand miles in HAMB Drags trips. Other than getting run over by a tractor trailer one year, she hasn't had a hiccup.

I didn't add up all the beers in the parkinglot however......

See ya, -Abone.

9. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

WOW!

That sir. Is some HEROIC SHIT!

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe more like stupidity really...

Honestly, I have loved every single mile. I drive my little car every day and it always puts a smile on my face, but the HAMB Drags trips are espesially meaningfull to me and I will remember every one of them for the rest of my life....And when I'm old and sitting in a rocking chair, I will bore the shit out of everybody telling them the same old storys about how FAST I used to be and how nobody could beat me...

Well...except for that one guy.....

See ya, -Abone.

11. squirrel

squirrel

I ordered the new pulleys, and I've been taking off excess weight...and I still doubt I'll even be in the tens. But it is about a 1200 mile drive to get there.

12. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

The rest of us are gonna try to be there in the 10's , but we'll probably not make till after-noon, or maybe three. I love one liners,

13. daschaefer

daschaefer

Must be nice!,, I only have 2 HAMB drags under my belt but somehow I am on my fourth engine???
    First year I ran a 454 that I had been running for 9 years but it ran like crap that day (didn’t like the race gas?). It ran an 11.10 …but my 1/8 mile ET was about a half second slower than average.
    Second year I got greedy and built the giant cam junk motor that barfed rods on the track. The 10.61 pass was half throttle spinning in first and floored at the top of second.
    Third engine was a refresh of the first years engine but I added the giant cam. I thought it was gonna work. Started beating on it last month and man was it FAST…. Oil pressure was great, sounded great but I was looking closer this year. Split the oil filter and saw bearing material….. crapola!
    Just tore it down tonight and the crank is tweaked (warped at #1 main .002). rod bearings are perfect, mains are jacked. I just aint got enough money to build a bottom end that is gonna stay together with that setup. Im leaning toward going back with the mild cam and toning it down this year……. to be continued
    Fourth times a charm!

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Jason, it looks like another like a good old fashion HAMB Drags thrash for you this year...bang together some left over stuff till the wee hours then hit the road and flogg it without mercy down the strip at Mo-Kan.

Good luck and I'll see you in a few weeks.

-Abone.

15. I did a google the other day and found Blake's in car video of the Aquaming on it's shakedown run in 2007 at the HAMB Drags.

I have interior now, so the it should go faster. A little rain-X to slicken the aerodynamics and I might have a chance. :)

Who do I talk to about buying a 5 second credit?????

16. senior fried

senior fried

I have said it before and I will say it again. This is one of the coolest events in Drag racing Today ! The YAY-HOO cup...

Attached Files:

17. BLAKE

BLAKE

You guys are sweet - thanks.

For Tyler... best ending to a drag video evah!

18. ryno

ryno

man of many talents....

19. daschaefer

daschaefer

You got that right!

I confirmed that the stock crank was actually twisting under full power. I considered an Eagle crank then remembered that I aint got a job.

So now Im slapping another stock crank in it from a truck 454 that I was saving for another project and Im putting the baby cam back in it to tone it down. My stock rod bolts have been re-torqued at least 4 times so I stold some more stock bolts from an engine that only has about 150K miles on ity...Nothing but the best for the ole Chicken Coupe

I had a dream about 9's but now another 10.61 would be a miracle.

20. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Ooh! Squirrel is coming in to compete for the cup?

Kick ass!

21. Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  22. daschaefer

daschaefer

I just took a look at the details (link) on Squirrels 55...... NICE!!!

Looks like between me , him and Flamed A-bone,,, this might just be a contest of who can run the smallest pulley....

Almost done assembling the long block. I'm not happy with the tolerences in this years slap-together junk motor but I just dont have time or money for machine work. Bolted the heads on tonight and put on enough spray paint on it to hold it together if the bolts fail......

Work harder NOT smarted,,, thats what I always say!

23. Hey Blake... why did you call him? Hahaha...!

24. BLAKE

BLAKE

To remind him to turn right about a quarter mile past the light...

25. I think my pizza was ready, 2007 was a long time ago I'm not quite sure.

26. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Rumor has it that Danny G may be a contender.

Supposed to drive his 55 Chevy from Katy Tx. so he can flog it @ Mokan.

27. ryno

ryno

dw that new pic makes me wanta punch someone
    not sure why, just the way i feel
    not you, of course, too much love in my eyes for you,just that pic really gets me

28. Danny G

Danny G

That the plan, just not enough horses to mess with the big blocks. I have a lot of work to do since I just got it running.

29. BLAKE

BLAKE

Awesome! Danny rules.

30. senior fried

senior fried

lol !!!