Register now to get rid of these ads!

s-10 chassis swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billshari, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Here is something to contemplate. What 50's and earlier car or p/u bodies are compatable with s-10 chassis? Long wheelbase/short wheelbase. How about track width?

2. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

There's lots of threads on this already and going over it again is beating a dead horse. S-10 doesn't work real well with most car bodies, without lots of modification. They can work much better for truck chassis swaps. You can find most of what you're looking for by doing a search of this site and info on wikipedia.

What, I'd like to see is info on chassis swaps for 1940's cars that don't involve S-10 frames... ie... dakota, import pick-up, smaller 1960-70's car chassis, etc.

3. RacerRick

RacerRick

S10s work great for chevy AD truck swaps. T

They work ok for 49-54 chevy car frame swaps with some work. It mostly has to do with the track width because they are very narrow.

Other than that...don't know.

4. When working with car bodies, you must also deal with the gradual rear kick-up of the S10 frame, I've seen where people cut out the floor in the rear passenger compartment to clear it, and then box it in.

I'm curious if the stock fenders on a '36 Chevy 1/2 ton would clear the S10 front suspension! Done a search on this, but nothing. Anyone?????????

5. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Just to spread the info an S10 front clip works well under a shoebox ford....I've heard of one guy that swapped the body onto an s10 chassis but I don't know details

6. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I dropped the plans to add an S-10 front clip to my '55 Merc wagon.
    There were too many issues.
    Width, Engine Mounts for the Y-Block, running the exhaust/Headers, etc.

Glenn

7. the machine

the machine

8. Terraizer

Terraizer

the machine very cool, i too am building a k series IH on a S-10, mine is a 1942 K-2 on a 1985 longbed regular cab s-10 cut down 3"s for a 115" WB, i cut all the S-10 mounts off of it and am building new mounts out of 2x3" square tubing and using Poly Scout mounts, i used a Scout 2 rear dana 44 in mine thats 58.5"s wide. I also have a 1937 D-15 IH on a 1987 S-10 shortbed xcab chassis with 9"s cut out of it for a 113" or so WB, sits about 4"s off the ground at its lowest point.

9. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

10. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

Would you two mind starting one thread that was IH/KB S10 Swaps.
    I am starting on mine this weekend and will post some pics soon. "99 S10 short frame and a "48 KB1.
    I think it would be helpful to all of us doing this swap and I'm sure others over time.

11. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

hell yeah. the machine doesn`t mess around.. git-r-dun.:)

12. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Works pretty well on fat fendered Fords. As was mentioned above the slight rise in the rails comes through the floor and will be boxed in but the stock rear seat is going to fit with little modification so it isn't a large deal.

Attached Files:

• 46.JPG
      46.JPG
      File size:
      46.7 KB
      Views:
  13. the machine

the machine

I plan on posting some thing when i get a little closer. I am taking lots of pics. Terrazier, did you channel yours any? I was planning on using suspension to lower further.

14. Abomination

Abomination

I'd love to see a definitive list of projects that have been done on S-10 frames, and the degree of difficulty, rated 1 - 5.

~Jason

15. jay in cleburne

jay in cleburne

I am putting a 47 Willys pickup on a 1994 Blazer chassis. I moved the engine and transmission rearward 8" and from there it looks to me like it will be no big deal. I havent got the wiring harness bucket of worms yet under control. The Blazer ran and drove good so I stripped it down and built mounts for the Willys. --- Jay in Texas

Attached Files: