Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to unlock a locked up motor? FLATHEAD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconwagon62, Sep 16, 2007.

1. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Ok guys, I am going to keep my flathead in my 59 Rambler, Super Station Wagon (maybe) the motor is locked up...prior owner said it used to spin over, now nothing, whats the best way to free it up? I don't want to bust a ring. Tranny Fluid in the Cly's? Blaster, what worked for you??

2. Flatman

Flatman

Pull the plugs and drizzle in some Marvel Mystery Oil. Walk away and let it soak everything good. After a couple of days, try bumping over the engine with a johnson bar on the crank a little bit at a time. If you get a bit of motion, work it back and fourth as it frees up. Don't force it too much, patience is the key.

Flatman

3. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

fill the cylinders with transmission fluid and let set for a day or two, then put a wrench or socket on the front balancer and gently tap back and forth untill its free. It dosen't take much rust to stick an engine. were they still useing a flat head in 59? I would think it was an old 258 inline ohv?

4. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

If it's a stick after soaking put it in second and rock back and forth.
    Paul

5. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Thanks, and YES AMC used a Flatty into the 60's! now we know why they are no longer around Lead the pack or be left behind! or be bought out by MOpar.....Thanks guys.....John

6. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Get a can of Kano Labs "AeroKroil". I do not go to the boneyard without a can of this stuff, make 3n1 oil look lame.

7. budd

budd

i use combustion chamber cleaner.

8. Boynamedsue

Boynamedsue

tranny fluid seems to work the best, it has better detergants in it.

9. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

just filled it with Tranny fluid! now WAIT....

10. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

pulled the head tonight, insides NASTY.....still can't flip it over, guess I got to let it sit, DAM I hate to wait!!!!!!!!!!

11. GlenC

GlenC

I remember using kerosene to unstick a T truck engine in the 60's. Just kept filling the cylinder heads and letting it run through into the sump for a week, then drained the sump, oiled her up and she fired!

Cheers, Glen.

12. overkillphil

overkillphil

Kroil is the best penetrant on earth! I practically soaked my 'stude flattie in it, and had no problems breaking anything free. Plus, it kinda smells like hopp's nitro solvent!

13. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Ditto to what Scarebird and Overkillphil said. Aerokroil or plain old "Kroil" as it's known in aviation circles is the BEST unfreezing, unlocking,bustin' loose product there is. even use it in all my air tools.

14. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

I will agree that Kroil is the best. We take apart 100 year old steam lines with the stuff. Yea let it soak too, but for about half the time of others. I love it the next thing you know you are using the stuff on everything. Shit I have a can in the shower.

15. Mockie

Mockie

Marvel mystery oil down the plug holes worked fine for me, let her set 3 days before trying and broke loose easily after that. Motor was a 235 that had been sitting for 50 + years.

16. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

My uncle is a retired diesel and tractor mechanic. Whenever he buys an old tractor to fix that has a locked up motor, he'll load it on his trailer, throw a big safety chain on that he can secure loose enough so the tractor can't roll off the back of the bed, and take off down the back country roads - starting and stopping the whole way with the tractor in gear. After about a good hour or two of this, he'll often be able to get the starter to turn the motor over on its own.

17. ccrain

ccrain
    from Greer

Okay i have a 74 pinto and the motors stuck solid i have filled the spark plug holes with transmission oil if i do get the motor un stuck do i have to worry about all the tranny fluid i put in it,if so how do i get it out?Drain the oil

18. Seems like everytime someone has a stuck flathead all the advice assumes the pistons are stuck. Don't overlook the valve train.

19. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

It doesn't matter. You can drain the oil but it will still be a pinto.

Neal

20. flthd

flthd

Anybody messin around with rusty or seized parts should try that kroil oil that stuff works freakin awesome.Ive worked on mechanically f'd up stuff for years.

21. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

22. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

fill it with diesel.. it may take some time, but it wont disturb anything, and oils up everything inside!!!

23. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

I'm a believer in Marvel Mystery Oil squirted into the spark plug holes. Also, I "fill" the engine with 10+ qts of motor oil to let the crank "bathe" in it for a week. Of course, drain and fill properly before starting it.

24. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Why not just tear it down and rebuild it?

25. Ggg6

Ggg6
    from IL

How do you get the valve trail loose?
    I have a 46 Willys cj2a, I have removed the head. The pistons move about 1/2", but on #3 cylinder I do not see the valves move at all. I do see some valve movement in the other 3 cyls.
    I have tried tapping on the valve heads with a small hammer which helped one or two of the valves but not the two valves in the #3 cyl.
    Heat them up with a torch a little?

26. wristpin

wristpin

Don't forget acetone/atf, 50/50 mix, can't beat that with store bought brands.

27. XxWingNutxX

XxWingNutxX
    from Greer SC

I used a pry bar on the flywheel. Not a lot of pressure just tugged a little then once she finally (3months) twitched i put her in third and drug it down the road. just a note if you forget to put the plugs back in you will have marvel mystery or tranny fluid everywhere!!!!

28. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

ATF!... let it soak, and work it over with a pry bar... It's worked for me on all my engines!

29. diesel2007

diesel2007
    from nebraska

I agree with the Kroil idea. it is amazing stuff. What i have learned to do is pour kroil down the cylinders, and sometimes even white vineger down the exhaust manifold to eat some rust around valves. But i only had one project that was severe enouph for that. Sometimes pouring kroil down the cylinders works by itself, sometimes you may need to bolt an angle iron or something sturdy and put slight pressure on it with a jack or a come along and leave it set for awhile. the constant pressure may help break it loose. just my two cents

30. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

how old is this thread. I bet that Rambler is long gone. John?