Register now to get rid of these ads!

Church: Cars Not Culture

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 25, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. 53burb

53burb

May I add to Ryan that Coby has some kool ass looking shirts and limited #'d prints too. KNUX!

3. Deadender60

Deadender60

Coby is and his brother Mark are super talented! I don't know what their parents put in their water...

I think we're safe to make it public... we (Coby and us) started letting people know in Paso this weekend that Church "Numero Tres" will feature Deadend Magazine photography! I can't wait!

-Juan

4. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I bought that hemi shirt, a '36 3 window shirt and also issue #2 at Paso this weekend at their vendor booth. I love what they are doing over there at CHURCH. Great creative thinking and awesome images ...keep it comin!

5. I had the pleasure of meeting Coby & thanking him personally for something he did for me a while back yesterday at Paso.

Good guy, awesome stuff.

Thanks again Coby.

6. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Wow! Thanks Ryan, for posting this.

I just rolled in from Paso late last night. Here's a long winded update on all things Church.

1. Health.
    I feel better than I have in quite a while. Still hurts to sneeze, and the fatigue is bothersome. Very minor stuff.......all things considered. I did have 2 very minor strokes, the last one a few weeks back. I now have a neurologist, and have done a battery of tests on my brain, neck arteries etc. trying to find any blockage. Doctors can't find anything. They thought the stitch on my valve may have broke and caused this, but don't have any definitive proof. I'm OK with that, but if that's the case, they would have to open me up again. Currently, they have me on a little bit of aspirin daily to thin my blood a bit.

2. Paso.
    It was the first show I sold at since last Paso. With that comes good and bad. When I sell, I pretty much miss the show from a spectator. Sadly, checking out all the cars is why I go in the first place. The dive up with Bumpstick, Happy Hoppy, Sean, Mike, Dreadman, Lawrence, and Munster was awesome. You guys are the best. It was an adventure as usual, but I had a blast. My car didn't break down, so I'm beyond stoked. Several HAMBers stopped by to say hello which was awesome. I finally got to thank HRLC in person for sending me a box of cookies while in the hospital. Myself and the ICU nursed enjoyed them immensely.

Friday, while cruising around, I saw this guy wearing one of my shirts. Of all the crap he must have in his closet, the fact he was wearing one of mine really made my day. He stopped by my booth and chatted for about 15 minutes. He bought some stuff, and said he wears Church all the time. Later in the day, he was put into the hall of Fame. No matter what any of may think about his creations, he's well deserving, and amazingly humble. It was Chip Foose.

Cole and Susan stopped by, Zombie, McPhail, Geoff and Suzi from Rodders Journal, and tons more. My Paso couldn't have been better with the exception of being able to hang out with friends more.

3. Family.
    I think the world of my brother Marc and his wife Paula. After a couple of years of waiting, they finally adopted a baby boy named Dylan about 3 weeks ago. He's three months old, and sure to be a ruler one day. Despite the new addition to the family, they made the trip to Paso and Dylan experienced his first of probably a zillion car shows.

4. Church zine. Numero Tres.
    I met Juan and Jesus Espinoza a few years back in Bakersfield, shooting a 60 chevy way down at the top end of the track. We chatted for a while and have been friends ever since. We have the same view on cars and "the scene". We both decided to try and do do something about it in our own little way. I believe we have the same goals, but are taking different paths to get there.

Their photos and site are awesome. If you have not been to deadendmagazine.com yet, you totally suck! I always wished they were in print, even if it was competition. More often than not. I am happier helping other before helping myself, so I offered to showcase their work in Church, numero tres. I think we are both really excited about the new issue, so I guess I better go start on it.

5. Marcy brought me a batch of girls shirts I designed. I hope to get them on my site sooner than later. One is a wrench, but for mean girls I like to call it "The wench". She also brought me a new guys T, with 2 wrenches that make a cross. That will also become a print, but not just some sissy 11x17 P.O.S. I believe it's gonna be 27x40!!! Printed on black paper in a few select colors, and a very limited edition. The cragar fender-well design will be printed too, and I think it will run 12 or 13 by 40. I can't wait.

Also, the Rodders Journal issue after this current one with our own Bobby Green (ruler), will have an article about magazines. I think Hot Rod Delux, Hop Up, Burnout, Dice, Barracuda, Rod and Kulture and a few others will be in there. I was told there is a mention and some verb-age about Church as well. I'm completely honored to be in company of some of the big guys.

I may be designing a couple more things I plan on keeping on the down low until I'm sure they will pan out. I think there are many good things ahead for myself and Church.

Sorry for the long winded post. I'm usually a man of few words.

Coby
    carsnotculture.com

7. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Coby,.... Your the ruler my friend. Keep up the great work.

8. Oggie

Oggie
    from Nor Cal

I had the pleasure of meeting Coby at Paso and have to say he was very cool and humble.

I've been wearing the Church hat I bought since I got it. I also picked up a couple of shirts for my nephews, a Cragar and the flamed fender, they loved them and they're not really hot rod kids, but you gotta start somewhere.

I will definitely be keeping up with the stuff, probably pick up some prints and magazines.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Oggie

(PS get some 3xl's shirts :D)

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Colby, it was my pleasure to finally have the opportunity to meet you in person. I was thrilled to hear all the good news thats going down in your world. The amount of people I saw over the weekend wearing Church swag was amazing, especially Chip on Friday. Looking forward to our paths crossing again in the near future.:cool:

10. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Nice to meet you in paso, I rocked the flathead shirt today....Your stuff is rad. Keep up the good work.

11. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

It was great to meet you at Paso Coby. I haven't stopped wearing Church shirts since I bought them! They were definitely worth breaking my t-shirt buying freeze for! The girls shirts fit great, thanks for remembering us.
    Good also to hear the news about you getting together with the guys from Deadend. Talk about two killer products in one!
    Stay healthy and keep up the good work.

12. I can attest that this is true as my wife and I ran into Larry, Denise & Megan in Carmel on Sunday and Megan was wearing a Church shirt! Sorry I did not get to meet you, been a fan since I first saw your stuff. Met your brother who was a very nice guy, we had a cool talk about the origins of a very nice custom Chevy that came from around my neck of the woods. Looking forward to meeting you sometime and keep the great art & design coming!

13. RF

RF

Yeah, you're much better with single-digit sign language...esp @ 5 in the morning.

14. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Coby, It was nice talking with you at Paso Robles and I wish you and Church all of the best !
    Rob

15. Deadender60

Deadender60

"...I believe we have the same goals, but are taking different paths to get there"

I think our paths have crossed.. haha...

16. marcoman

marcoman

Congrats on the New DM and the hooking up of you two "forces," the images you create are better than great, so I'm looking forward to seeing your stuff in the new Church book.
    Killer.
    ~M~

17. marcoman

marcoman

Coby it was also a pleasure meeting you as much at it was bumpin' into Chip by my Riviera this past weekend. Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you and your brother, you guys truly rock. Stay strong dude, there's still a lot for you to do on the road ahead....
    ~M~
    PS: Can't wait to do that "stuff" with Church!

18. 53burb

53burb

It was good to see you and meet your brother and his wife too. It was my 1st time there at 'paso Coby and it was worth it to go up there and to see you doing your thing representing one of the accomplishments that you have endeavored in your young life so far and with many more things ahead for ya. KNUX!

19. Hey Coby

Sounds like you're back on track and there to stay.

Must email you.

Cheers

JzF