Register now to get rid of these ads!

please help me ID my saginaw 4 speed...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chromedRAT, Oct 12, 2005.

1. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

tried to buy linkages from Jegs tonight and learned that there are apparently a gazillion different cast iron saginaws and half a gazillion different hurst competition plus shifters. dude asked me what i was putting it in, no help there as i read that saginaws weren't put in 65 impalas from the factory. also asked me where the trans came from. under this dude's bench in his garage apparently isn't enough info. took some numbers off of it, here they be:

on the gear box itself, passenger side:

GM 3925656 (or 3925856, casting is rough)

on the side cover, driver's side:

GM 6261888

Tail Shaft:

287 on driver's side, 362264 (the 6's might be 5's or 8's) on the passenger side.

the side cover has seven bolts, and the tail shaft is drilled in a triangular pattern to accept the shifter.

as far as the shifter goes, there's no damned numbers on it. all it says is hurst competition plus and a single patent number.

any help would be appreciated. i spent a year finding the parts to put a 4 speed in this thing, i was actually looking forward to just calling them up and waiting for my damned package. thanks fellers...

2. SimonSez

SimonSez

So you have a trans with shifter attached, but there are no linkages, right ?

Does the trans have the shift arms on it ?

If it does, you should just be able to measure how long the linkages need to be. Might make it easier to order the linkage, or you could make your own linkage using heim joints.

Put the trans in first and the shifter in first and measure the distance between the holes on the shift arms and the shifter. To double check, put them both in second gear and the length should be the same.

Do the same for third/fourth gear, and also reverse and you should get all the lengths.

If the shifter is not attached yet, make a bracket to put it where it needs to be first, then measure the linkage.

3. How many GROOVES are machined around the front INPUT shaft?

4. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

three grooves around the input, pretty sure about that, but i bought it a couple of months back.

there's no shifter on the trans, and trans is bare. the shifter was bought seperate and has linkages for a muncie on it.

5. muffman58

muffman58

Sounds like a Vega trans.

6. atch

atch

check this; i don't believe that the grooves have anything to do with strength; i think they only delineate the ratios of the gears inside. i'll keep looking, but i've got other sites bookmarked that go into more detail than this one.

7. atch

atch

8. atch

atch

check here for identification help.

and here.

and here.

9. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

pretty sure it isn't vega, as i've heard that their shifters mounted directly to the floor and that they had no provision for a shifter on the trans, no drilled holes, etc, whereas this one does. could be wrong. guy i bought it from held his shifter bracket up to it to show me how it went together. he had promised the shifter to someone so i couldn't get it or the linkages he had. i'd just like to know what to tell the dude on the other end of the phone because they won't let you buy anything without knowing what it came out of anymore...

anybody know what differences there are in the cases and etc of saginaws??

10. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

or let me ask you this... are the transmissions different at all (aside from some being drilled in the back and some not), or is it just that the shifter is mounted at diferent heights and etc. in different cars, like console vs no console, etc?

i can't find a damned thing on this anywhere besides the gear ratio.

if the transmission end is the same in all of them, and the height and location of the shifter is the thing that varies in each shifter kit, i'll just wing it and say 70 chevelle.

11. jerry

jerry

You should be able to get away with calling it a 70 chevelle.

The only difference is in the gear ratios insidw the trans. The 3 ring input shaft is a 3.10 low gear.

I have a mount for a hurst shiter that mounts to the tail housing bolts and has a clamp that goes around the tail shaft by where the seal is. If I can get it back from ENFO in Tucson. ;)

jerry

12. Its a 4 cyl trans -the floor mounyed shifters were installed on the same transmissions that had a tail mount for a shifter too.....

it has a 3:50 to 1 first gear....ideal really it will take more abuse and will also give you both ends...more out of the hole power and ability to use it with a "hi" rear ratio ,such as a 2:73

13. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

ah, so it's a chevy II trans then?? should i just call the sonofabitch a "70 chevelle" anyway because it's a bit closer in size to my impala? (in case it makes any difference at all where the shifter ends up...)

thanks fellas...

14. ENFO

ENFO
    from Tucson AZ

Hey Jerry Im still working on making a copy. SORRY!:)

15. jerry

jerry

Not a problem guy!

jerry

16. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

broke down bought a new 4 speed indy universal shifter since my comp plus is apparently "too old" to find parts for in this day and age, or flat out doesn't exist according to the jeg's phone jockey. thanks for the help anyway.

17. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

The case number was used 76-80.
    The side cover number was used on "H" bodies (Vega & Monza) 76-78.

18. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

good to know, man. first time playing with a 4 speed, i'm looking forward to it.

19. muffman58

muffman58

Told you so ! I just had to say it.

20. I've had several and was not kind to any of them- they will be allright!

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Can't help you identify, but I have two Saginaw transmissions. One that I am going to use, and the other just sitting here.
    The one I am going to use has a full Hurst linkage, gate, and shifter, and is a very nice well designed set up. Also very compact linkage.
    The other Saginaw has an Inman (?) gate and linkage. Both transmissions are identical, but the Inman shifter gate and linkage is crap and cumberson compared to the Hurst. Cave man adjusting, and long bulky linkage rods.
    Only offering help here. Don't try to save a few bucks on linkage/gate. Get a good one to start off with, like the Hurst.
    Good luck.
    (Oh, in my earlier investigations, I think I remember reading somewhere that the Vega Saginaw was a bit different, but can't swear to it)

22. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I am with him nothin worst than a shit shifter will piss you off when you need to get under a low car in the rain.Hang out for the hurst

23. This thread is over 5 years old...prolly has it done by now.

24. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

This thread is over 5 years old...prolly has it done by now.

Hah.....good one. Looked at the month/day, and didn't notice the year....geesh, gettin too old.......:eek::eek::eek: