Register now to get rid of these ads!

will powder coat on headers work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROBERT JAM, May 12, 2011.

1. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I just had the local powder coater tell me that powder coat will work on headers.I thought the header would be to hot for the powder coating.Any one give me some good info on this

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

no, powder cures at 450 degrees, headers get a lot hotter than that. Powder coating is a plastic so its just gonna melt off.

there are a couple spray on coatings that a local guy uses, but they arent powder.

3. Ugly with standard powder. Yes, it will bake

4. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Thanks I thought so.Didnt want to screw up my sanderson flathead headers

5. customs by jason

customs by jason

you could put a ceramic coating on them its baked on like powder coating and now you can get the ceramic coating in just about any color and in a chrome color

6. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Big Fire, very bad.

7. narlee

narlee

The ceramic holds up very well. I had some exhaust manifolds done about 14 years ago and they still look good.

8. eastwood offers a high temp powder coating for exhaust but its crap! stay away from that! I own a powder coat shop and we ceramic coat exhausts for customers. I had my headers on my 51' powder coated with the high temp powder about 12 years ago. Its fine if you dont brush up against it or touch it, the stuff just flakes off!

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  9. chubbie

chubbie

OOPS! I did my headers on my model A and like it. so I was going to blast the headers on the 442 and use the eastwood high temp header coat. maybe have to rethink this

10. A local powder coater does black and silver powder coat that holds up on the exhaust,,at least it has on mine. HRP

11. mostly NO.
    I use the high heat powders for motorcycles etc but it doesnt hold up to V-8's at all.
    Dupont makes one called "pipe black" that is supposed to be good for 1000* F , havent tried it yet though.

12. sigh....no fire, but it would get to hot and flake away over time.

13. v-8 motor? black and silver high heat can be gotten from Caswell, but have had zero luck with longevity on v-8's, the high HP v-8's will burn it off in no time flat.
    I have heard good stuff about the dupont "pipe black" from another coater, but havent tried it myself yet.
    I dont know of a silver available besides the caswell and again, their stuff works great on motorcycle headers etc

14. customs by jason

customs by jason

you can powder coat motorcycle pipes and headers cause those pipes only get to about 700deg and that was after a long ride right after it pulled n to the shop.

15. bbq paint works good if your poor like me and cant afford the ceramic coatings

16. Big Nick

Big Nick

and that still tends to fail, the coater here did a thunder header for a local guy and I watched it bubble right after start up. Send them to Jet Hot, ive never had an issue.

17. customs by jason

customs by jason

ive done one set and it has lasted for about a year with no problem alot has to do with prep of the parts and if they were cured at the right heat and for the right time

18. I have flame spray on our headers

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Doesn't matter how they're done, powder coating wont hold up unless the curing temp is higher than the operating temp. I had an extensive conversation with the local powder coater and he said they use either 250 degree temp or 400 degree temp, and every time you get things hotter than that it will get sticky again.
    Once it's sticky every bit of dirt and crud will stick to the "wet" coating and soon it will look ugly. If it gets way over the curing temp it will simply bubble and smoke away.

20. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Ceramic coat is the way to go. Another great option is porcelain.

21. ditto, my thoughts exactly.

22. Lucky3

Lucky3

It will work perfectly........until you start the engine !

23. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used Eastwoods white "ceramic" coating on my headers and cured it by running on an engine stand for 45 min. So far so good; the car isn't on the road yet.

24. I used a coater from White City, OR (just outside of Medford about 20 years ago to put on some high temp powder(?) coat on my entire exhaust, except mufflers. Not a great photo, but the coating has stayed on and not flaked or significantly discolored.

[​IMG]

this is a recent photo.

25. dannyego

dannyego

I used vht header paint..... It sucked.

26. 54BOMB

54BOMB

They make coatings for exhaust. Check out what the big turbo cars use, that stuff gets super hot. Not every one is stuck in the past like we are. :D

27. chevyshubox

chevyshubox
    from Australia

I bought some small block Chev ramshorn manifolds of ebay as I thought they where ceramic coated at least thats what the add said. They looked great till I started the car and within 10 minutes most of the coating had melted off. Guess what they where powder coated but they sure did look good before the engine had been run.
    Anyway I think this answers your question no you cant powdercoat headers as it will melt of within about 20 minutes of the engine being started. There wasnt a fire but I reckon it might have come close as there was lots of smoke and man they sure did look crap after the coating had melted off.
    I put the old ones back on.

28. rodnut1

rodnut1
    BANNED

My local coater showed me this new 'high temp powder' just the other day. He's been in the coating business for at least 30 years. He claimed he's tried it on a couple of sets of headers, and it works. Don't know how hot his oven was when baking this stuff. I do know that the baking temp does not have to be the working/running temp of the exhaust. The high temp (1800 degrees F.) ceramic coatings I have done locally are baked at around 500 degrees F. The high temp ability of the coating occurs during the break-in and curing proceedure on the motor itself. It may well be the same with this new powder coating system. Personally, I'll stay with the high temp ceramic, as I've always had excellent results from it. Plus there are more colors available. The set of headers and exhaust I recently had coated for my present project was done in 'titanium' and looks bitchin'.

29. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

So Robert, what are ya going to do about the Coating??????????

30. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.