Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Ford Horn Ring Removal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmw56, Aug 10, 2010.

1. dmw56

dmw56

I have a 1948 Ford steering wheel that needs restored. My question is how do I remove the horn ring without breaking it. I've twisted it both ways, pushed down on it twisted but no luck. Can anybody reveal the secret! :confused: Thanks!

2. Billet

Billet

dmw56,
    I looked up the wheel on the web and it "appears" to be about the same as the steering wheel on my 46 ford. I remove my horn ring by depressing the center and turning it counter- clockwise. I press the horn ring with the palms of my hands and push the ring with my thumbs- No tools but it's tight. Good luck-

3. dmw56

dmw56

^ Thanks, I'll give it another try!

4. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Changed the horn wire on my '47 this spring. I had no doubt how to twist it off but it took so much force, it really seemed that the ring was going to break just as it turned to release. I got a new horn button cushion(11A-3672) and put it in with a thin coat of silicone grease. Replacement horn wires are about a foot too long and should be cut to the right length before install. Good Luck: Fred A

5. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

thats about it, push, turn, pray you don't break it. all are tough.

6. 21tat

21tat

It's a push and turn on my '49. Should be similar, right?

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The super-tightness is increased by the rubber ring, which is always totally fried and stuck to wheel and button.
    Get an assistant to hold the thing down by pushing down at middle...this will be a huge help. Make sure assistant knows it MUST be down straight, not tilted.
    Then apply force at roots of the horn ring struts...don't be tempted to move outward for leverage. You can do this a LOT better if you don't have to holditdownyourself.
    Getting it off second time will be a lot easier...
    I would "butter" both sides of new rubber ring with light grease.

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Now what you wanna do is take a screwdriver and pry up till you hear a click, or possibly a snap. Then just pop it out.;)

I agree with the other guy though, that rubber probably melted the horn to the wheel because it gets so damn hot where you are.

Sorry to say i just got rid of a '48 Ford steering wheel in pristeen condition, i with i knew you were looking for one I would've given it to you...

9. dmw56

dmw56

Now you tell me!! :(

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

ya never call, ya never write.... you should've asked

18,000 miles on the truck

11. dmw56

dmw56

Got it off without breaking it! Thanks everybody.

Hillbilly, keep racking up those miles! :D

12. 1rifleman

1rifleman

Howdy -- Some of these horn buttons can be a real pain. Here is a couple of tricks that may help.
    1) trying to depress the horn button and twist can be difficult. Instead of using your hand find a racquet ball and center it on the horn button and push. This will be far easier that using your hand and it gives a lot better turning surface than the palm of one's hand.
    2) try to find a small, thin piece of plastic that will fit between the steering wheel hub and the horn button. If the spring has been broken, or is missing, this will help lift the horn button once it has rotated enough to be removed.

kidcampbell71 likes this.