Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Chevy PU Suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Piston1, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Piston1

Piston1

Getting ready to assemble the frame & looking for suspension ideas. Mustang II vs. GM clip.... rear leafs vs. 4-link. Looks like there are alot of IFS kits out threre are there any that are preferred?

Air bags would be nice but can't afford them!

Thanks,
    Ken

2. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

RBs Obsolete has a real easy weld on clip that uses GM components, and ElPolocko here on the HAMB should have a kit that uses Dakota parts

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a nova clip works well

4. S.Sutherland

S.Sutherland
    from Fontana,CA

How about keeping the stock I-Beam and using monoleafs, some super slide springs from posies or putting a dropped axle under it? I have a 57 Chevy Pick Up that utilizes the stock suspension front and rear, yet is equipped with a 454 and turbo 400 automatic transmission. You can't get as low with the straight axle as you can with an IFS, however if you plan on going the traditional route with your project I reccomend stock, slighlty modified components regarding your suspension. You can view my truck and its stance on "My Space." Simply run a search for Seth Sutherland, and click on th icon that has a picture of a 57 Chevy Pick Up.
    No Limit Engineering in San Bernardino also has a lot of nice suspension pieces for 55-59 Chevy Trucks.

5. hackers paradise

hackers paradise

I would stay away from the Nova/Camaro clips because they are way too wide and you will have steering clearance issues. I have narrowed a ton of A-Arms for those subframes. I like the S-10 clips. They are nice and narrow and parts are dirt cheep! Mustang II is also a good choice. There are several weld it yourself kits out there that are resonably priced and the truck ends up setting quite low.
    4-link rears are nice but pricey. You can get a leaf setup to work very well and sit right alot cheeper. I have used S-10 springs in those trucks and they sit good and the ride is very nice. You will have to fab the front brackets but the stock rear hangers work.

6. Richard Head

Richard Head

I have a 67 camaro clip in my 55. It definitely is not too wide. The truck sits with the bumper 5" or less off the ground and I have 15x7 wheels with not very much backspacing. The truck rides great. The only reason I wouldn't recommend using one is that they are getting hard to find. In the rear, I flipped the axle on top of the springs with a c-notch. It could be lower, but I would have to raise my floor.

Dave

7. Piston1

Piston1

Thanks all for the responses. A friend of mine has a camaro clip on his & likes it. That seems like allot of cutting & welding to me though. I've also heard about the dropped axle & mono leaf setup working nice, but read some about the mono leaf breaking. The fat man setup looks good too. I guess when it's all said & done the price is about the same. Do the IFS setups give the best ride? I plan on driving this alot.... if I ever get it done.

8. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

i've had an 78 firebird clip on my 55 since 1991 and it has served me well . no steering issues but is just a little bit on the wide side if you are planning on running wider than a 7" wheel ( ive got 6" now , but in the past have ran 15x8 vette rallys with a low profie tire) . The ride is great and parts are cheap and easy to get .

9. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

Check with Full Tilt, they have a new triangulated 4 bar for a 55-59 Chevy/gmc.
    fulltiltstreetrods

10. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

ive done both MII and nova clips,my driver has the nova clip and i couldnt be happier.it is not too wide.IMHO the clip is better because it is alot heavier duty than the MII set up.either way your doing a fair amount of fabrication.i think the rack and pinion steering sucks and the power ones leak like hell.i flipped the rear with 3"blocks with lowered springs and mild step notch.it rides like my buddies caddy!!!!

11. Piston1

Piston1

Does CPP make their own stuff or are they a dealer. I'm looking at the IFS they offer, is it a TCI unit? Is there any preference on the IFS / Mustang II vendors? I hear allot about the Heidt's systems.

12. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Who is CPP ? I have a 57GMC thinking of converting -- Thanks

13. thrasher

thrasher

in my 57 chevy pickup, i went with a 77 camaro front clip and rear axle. i bought new springs for the front and removed a few of the rear leaves. it rides and handles great, plus i only paid $100 for the z28 camaro.

14. DrJ

DrJ

Get it titled and registered before doing the clip since the CA legal VIN # location is on top of the left frame near the steering box, and you'll be cutting it off if you Camaro clip it.

15. Piston1

Piston1

Classic Performance Parts (CPP), I found them in the Classic Trucks Magazine. Looks like they're a dealer. They offer TCI frames & suspensions.

16. rrayne

rrayne

if you want to keep it vintage you can do what we do.....we set the truck over on a 55-57 car frame. we have been lucky and able to find them for a fair price(4dr) part out the rest of the car and you can usually have a frame, get it rebuilt/modified and make a few bucks too. good luck with what ever you decide.