Register now to get rid of these ads!

303 oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goldflake, Oct 8, 2010.

1. goldflake

goldflake

I am thinking of putting a 1950 303 oldsmobile rocket motor in my 1931 ford pick-up project but i need a little info..is the motor a reliable and finding parts like water pump fuel pump easy to get. I dont know much about the motor any help would be great....

2. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Great engine if in good shape. Don't know about parts.

3. SixFive

SixFive

4. goldflake

goldflake

I dont know if I should just go with a chevy 350.... have a line on a 303 with a hydromatic trans for $1000..I pulled the valve covers and they were super clean like they have never been used. the guy said that it was rebuilt but never driven..How do I realy know.....

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Tell him you'd like to have the receipts for the parts used in the rebuild for your "build file"--303 Olds parts are pretty unique--it's not likely they would be forgeries or from another source if he had them. If he doesn't have receipts for parts I'd probably have my doubts---IMO.

6. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Get a hold of Goatroper02 here on the HAMB. Tony is a great guy and will be more than happy to awnser all your Olds ?'s. Here is his contact info. Todd.
    <DL class="list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><DD id=signature>Ross Racing Engines
    1763 North Main St
    Niles,Ohio
    330-544-4466 w
    330-720-1282 c

www.RossRacingEngines.com</DD></DL>

7. Steve from PA

Steve from PA

I also have a 303 with trans coming. I plant to rebuild and put in a RPU.

8. Kanter Auto has just about anything up to and including overhaul kits.
    Waterpump $113.00

9. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Here is a very nice Cragar 4x2 Intake for the Olds 303 or 324. This setup would look so very cool on top of your engine..
    This intake is available..
    Duane..

Attached Files:

10. mr50s

mr50s

Hey goldflake,

I'm an early Olds Rocket 88 lover (I'm currently resto-rodding a 1950 coupe with a modified 303 and hydro), but what I have to offer you are just impressions, not cold, hard facts:

- the Olds Rocket V8 is a WONderful nostalgia motor. The good ones run sweet and strong, have enormous torque, are built tough and just plain look and sound GREAT! They make quite a statement.

- when the Olds motor is coupled to an Olds 4-speed hydro., that is a very heavy combination for a light Ford pickup to handle. I would guess 400 pounds or so heavier than an SBC or SBF with late-model automatic trans.

- parts are going to be harder to find, but it's still going to be a workable deal IF you know where to shop and you realize you can't get running and stay running on a bare-bones budget.

So, I'd suggest if the desire to make a nostalgia statement in your ride is a strong one AND you have the budget AND you'll equip your vehicle with suitable frame, suspension, brakes and tires to make it handle and stop safely, go ahead and consider the Olds.

If you lean more toward making a ride that is light, nimble and maneuverable without making heavy structural modifications, then consider the late-model small block and auto trans combo.

You'll be smiling either way. Again, just my $.02, and good luck!!

mr50s

11. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

i second all of mr50s comments. originally set up my 32 (see profile) w/ 303 and hydramatic. when i redid went with 327 and 350. much happier with the lighter weight. good luck and keep us posted. larry

12. goldflake

goldflake

great $.02..i think Im just going to go with the 350 stricktly for the parts aspect..if im out of town on a run and somthing happens I want to be able to run to NAPA and get with I need..thanks guys for all your input...

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

where is this 303?

14. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I'll sell you a running and driving Olds 303 w/ 4speed hydro that's in my roadster right now for $999 . You can even drive the car before you buy it. It has the VERY desireable #10 heads and a tri-power intake on it.

Parts are eeeeeasy to find, just a little more expensive than chevy stuff when you find them. I drive my car all the time. They're great little motors.

You pull it!

draggin49 likes this.
  15. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I just drove my (new to me) '52 Olds with a 303 and automatic tonight.
    It's a nice combo but it feels really...heavy.
    I also have a stock 85 HP flathead in a '39 Ford. Even though the Olds motor makes twice the HP it sure doesn't feel like it.

I hate to say it but if you're looking to really log some serious miles you'd probably be better of with a 350. You can't swing a dead cat without being able to get parts for one or find someone that didn't 'cut-their-teeth' learning to work on cars by taking one apart.

The 303 is definitely more original but has it's weaknesses.

16. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

What weakness do the Olds have Alienbaby17?

Yes the parts cost more than a cookie cutter motor, but there isnt anything that is hard to aquire?
    And yes I would know,lol

Tony

17. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Oh, I just meant that compared to a SBC you can't waltz into any parts store in the middle of BFE and get this or that for it. I'd like to take mine on some serious road trips but am a little worried about being able to find parts if something fails.

18. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Auhh dont be scared,if its built at all and not a yard motor, a spare water pump and a couple ignition parts in the trunk, and there isnt anything else you could need that can be fixed on the road anyway no matter what brand it is.
    My dads coupe has been on many 1500 mile round trips trouble free ....371
    18-20 mpg at 70-75 mph with a tripower

Dont get me wrong I like SBC's as I build many of them also in all forms

Tony

oldfordtin likes this.
  19. F&J

F&J

Wow...:)

20. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

As a slight aside, speaking of Olds,

I used to drive a stock 330 olds in a 64 F85.

Nothing I've played with, stock, ever felt as quick as that nasty thing. Beast.

21. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Your info is very encouraging to read Goatroper02. I want to really put some miles on this car and was wondering if a newer Olds motor might be a better choice.
    Good to know that you have some faith in these babies!

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It amazes me that someone would have a $1000 motor and not be prepared to start it up for you, unless there's some reason he don't want to..........................

23. belair

belair

Like Goatroper said-carry a spare water pump, fuel pump and a replacement for whatever sparks your plugs, (points or otehrwise), and you are as bullet-proof as the next guy. Any more broke-down than that, and you're toast no matter what you drive.

24. goldflake

goldflake

it was sitting out on the garage floor....and has been sitting for about a year....

25. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Tom offered you a kill deal on a very nice Olds, and you are tire kicking yourself into a Chevy. Tom will have no problem selling that nice Olds to a rodder who will not have "Chevy" embroidered on his underwear.

26. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Is this a local thing ? I ship motors all over the world and have never been asked to start one. Some have price tags well over $10,000

27. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Nah stay Old style and save the newer ones for the cutlass guys

Tony

28. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

No, it's a thing I have regarding mis-represented used motors. If I asked you to start one and you refused, I would suspect a problem with the motor.

OP asked a question; "the guy said that it was rebuilt but never driven..How do I realy know....." My response indicated I thought a demonstration would be appropriate.

29. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I dont think its local.
    And Im not trying to pick ,But you may want to rethink that as a shop owner.

I wont send an engine out of my shop that hasnt been run...It protects me and my customer.
    Doesnt matter whether it is 5 or 40gs

Tony

30. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Please explain Protection ? I don't think any customer is going to say that since you started the engine that all his future troubles are his problems. If a shop needs to start motors as a way to try to prove that everything is right inside a motor, OK it might help an unknown shop. Just think about all the parts a shop would need just to be able to start and run say 20 different type motors, and the time needed to install and remove them.
    If I were going to buy that Olds I would offer to buy a gasket set and then tear the thing down and look inside at the parts and the machine work. If it was not right and was junk inside, It would only cost me a gasket set. I would not want or need to hear it run. i am sure if it was junk the seller would say to just return the gaskets to where you purchased them and walk away.