Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Chevrolet 3 window coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by weldoriam1, Dec 26, 2010.

1. weldoriam1

weldoriam1

MVC-003S.JPG

MVC-007S.JPG

Hello HAMB'ers, I'm a newby to hot rods, been building Harleys for the last 40 yrs. My qustion is I just bought this '36 Chev three window coupe and I am wondering just how rare is the three window. I can't find any others on this site. Any info about the three window would be welcome.

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to the book, "Sixty Years of Chevrolet", there were 10,985 3-window coupes built Vs 49,319 Master Deluxe coupes and 59,356 Standard coupes

4. lawman

lawman

Nice ride !!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

5. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

Thanks for putting the pic of your '36 up. Yep, she's a rare car all right. I have been searching for pics of '36 3 windows and they are very hard to track down.
    The reason for my interest is that my pal Bill up in Alberta (on dial up, need I say more) has just acquired a Canadian made '36 3 window, of which there were only 219 made in Oshawa of the "special" type.
    People weren't inclined to save the old Chevy's, if it wasn't a Ford they weren't interested. That, it seems, just adds to the rarity of these cars.
    I should add his is the rumble seat model as well.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. It wasn't that they weren't interested, it was that the Chevys fell apart because of the wood that was used.

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Was there something inferior with the wood that Chevy used,?
    (umm oops, i guess that sounds a little weird huh?)

8. No , Ford had way less wood than other manufacturers. As an owner of a 1929 Willys Overland Whippet and knowing about Durants, Chevys , etc of the era, they would fall apart compared to the Model A's of that vintage. I believe 1938 is when Chevys stopped using wood catching up to Ford for mostly all metal.

It could have even been 1937.

9. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

That car came out of Shelton. Also they stopped the 3 windows in 37

10. slammed

slammed

Welcome aboard scooter tramp! Nice coupe. A fella named Goodtime Buddy has begun to put together his '36 Chevy Sedan this year. He too has been HD for his entire life. Small world. What is your HD? A Pan (!) head maybe?

11. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Thanks Mr Whippet, I learned something new today...

12. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I think the patten for an all steel body car ran out in 36 so that is when everyone got on board. But I did a bunch of reefer along the line so ya may wanna look into that(not the weed)

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"No , Ford had way less wood than other manufacturers. As an owner of a 1929 Willys Overland Whippet and knowing about Durants, Chevys , etc of the era, they would fall apart compared to the Model A's of that vintage. I believe 1938 is when Chevys stopped using wood catching up to Ford for mostly all metal.

It could have even been 1937. "

1937 Chevys were the first Chevys to have NO wood in them.

14. chad

chad

37 chev was the first year for all steel construction

15. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

I had a 36 two door sedan that was all metal, perhaps late in the year Chevy dropped the wood inside. Some 36's will be metal.

16. bob308

bob308

chevy went to all steel in the cars in 37, in trucks mid 36.

17. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Yep, Thats a rare one you have there. You don't see too many coupes that are '36.Alot of '37-39, but never any Clean '35-'36 most likely because of the wood factor.We had a '36 5 window. Got a wild hair and sold it. Stupid mistake ,I miss that car. and the Butt---- that bought it from me did'nt even wash it. Put it on ebay and made $5k in one month. made me sick........
    [​IMG]

18. big bad john

big bad john

.......Sure don't see a lot of 36's......maybe because of the wood.......makes a nice hotrod......I think you got a rare one....looks great....

19. The wood factor was the biggest issue, especially the older cars from the 20s when the roads were rutty and the bodies just fell apart. When I bought my Whippet, every panel was held on by bailing wire as all the wood was old and or rotted.
    I could just imagine in the old days with the rain in the winter and the heat in the summer, these cars would literally fall apart.
    Thats why in 1929 there were over 300,000 Willys Whippets made but how many are left?

20. My 3 window is a '35 Pontiac with suicide doors.
    The '36 models had normal doors.
    Wood in mine is in good condition.

[​IMG]

grumpy32 likes this.
  21. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

There's an interesting story behind why Chevrolet used wood longer than other manufacturers. In an effort to be more efficient and keep the cost of their cars lower, Chevrolet entered into a multi-year contract with their lumber supplier. This kept the cost of the wood low and insured that Chevrolet would have the wood they needed over the next few years. During this time Ford and others dropped the wood and went to an all-steel design. Chevrolet had already commited to purchasing the lumber under contract so they stayed with the wood framing for a couple of years past Ford. While 1937 was the first year that the entire production run was steel, there were all steel cars produced in late 1936. If you have a 1936 Chevrolet it MAY be an all-steel car, it all depends on how late in the year that your car was built.

22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

It's my understanding that out here in Aus there was a lot more timber used than over there, even the early Fords had a fair bit of wood in them, not sure about NZ?? BTW nice ride Lifestylz!

Weldoriam1 I don't think I've ever seen a 36 3 win. I have 2 36 4 doors I'm trying to get rid of at the moment, not many coupes around!

LIFESTYLZ likes this.
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here is an Ozzie 36 Chevy 5 window All-enclosed coupe (aka sloper). All wood internals until 1937 when GM (Holden's) in Australia went to all steel. Unique Ozzie body and prelude to GM USA sedanettes. GMH produced this body style from 1935 until 1940 when it was dropped. Here is a friend's 35 Chevy Master All enclosed coupe to show body differences to US Fisher bodies.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  24. 3WBill

3WBill

Hello fellows, I am new to this forum and this is the first time I have seen someone else with a 3 window coupe like mine. Names Bill and live up north in Canada. Now that I have seen the potential that my car could be, I am planning on being a regular contributer. All of the cars on this thread are unique and I have never seen any of them till now . My coupe is just a old car saved out of a field, stored for almost 20 years till I happened by. Once I learn how to post some pictures of my "Canadian" '36 I will do so and show you my very first hot rod project. Yes... I am a beginner so don't hold that against me. Have to start somewhere. Thanks for the inspiration fellows, you have some cool cars here.
    I was able to put on pics of my find , 3WBill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  25. DougHH

DougHH

It was 37.

And to the OP that is one awesome car. I love it.

26. DougHH

DougHH

even 30's (australiancoach built) fords were made with timber framing over here.. i've read it a bunch of times from people around the scene from back in the day.

27. Good save ther Bill. 3 windows are worth gold aye ....

28. I pointed out it could have been 37 and at least 6 people now have said it was 37. LOL!! OK its 37 . We all know its 1937.

29. Actually, there were some late 36's that came with all-metal doors :)

30. weldoriam1

weldoriam1

Hello people on HAMB, thanks for all the good remarks. I have had to redue the WHOLE steering, the org builder was terrible, but the car is all steel w/ only a patch in the rear pannel, thats why I bought it. I too love the three window.
    To: Slammed, I have 19 Harleys, '57, '62, '63, '65 Pans, all stock, the rest shovels, '66 thru '83.
    To: CharlieLed, the door frames are steel, w/keyless. It's still titled as a '36 so I will dig out the title and post the sn: #, maybe someone can tell me if its earley or late. Thanks again folks for your comments.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011