Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 Or TH350 Dust Cover issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Rigg Fink, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I got what was supposed to be a 700r4 dust cover ( the cover for the torque converter and flexplate) from "Chev's of the 40's" store..
    Im wondering if they may have sent me a th350 dust cover?

this one will not fit up to the mounting flange or line up with the screw holes to attach it..
    it isnt deep enough , it hits the flexplate, and the cover would need to go maybe 1 to 1.5" more up before it would mate with the trans housing, sorry I didnt take pictures.

Is there a significant difference in a 700r4 dust cover and a TH350 dust cover?
    what are the differences..or would you say this is why this one isnt fitting?

i havent had the time to see if it fits my 350/350 combo in my 53 chevy..if it does and is for a th350 than im not going to be bummed, i can use it. but i want the right one for my A build and that would be for a 700r4.
    anyone got a good source for this 700r4 dust cover..chrome would be nice;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

They are definitely different. You can get a chrome one from jegs.com Part #555-60188

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

would mateing a 700r4 behind an older 350 cause this due to a larger diameter flexplate?

maybe a stupid question but im going to throw it out there..

got a bosh mini starter, too..but it doesnt seem to even get close to that at the moment..it hits the dam flext plate with about an inch to go before it would lay up on the trans..and the bend at the back doesnt seem right either

are the 700r4's "deeper" than a th350 inspection cover/ dust cover?
    the one in that picture looks just like what i have

I do plan on calling them this morning to see if they sent me the wrong one in error

4. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

FYI, you can run without a dust cover too...........

5. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

6. nutajunka

nutajunka

Don't know about the early 700r4's, but mine has a cast alumnium cover.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont wanna do that..besides it looks better when its on..than when its off

8. falfas55

falfas55

The one for the 350 will work better than the one for the 700.Try it, you'll see what i mean.FALFA

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i probably should just go to my GM dealer and buy an OEM..they always fit better than the knock off ..or different country of origin parts.

Chev's of the 40's has had these for sale and alot of them come back due to fit issues..bummer..back to the oem stuff

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

2 different size ring gears...thats why it dont fit..
    Im running a 12"..and normally it would have had an 11"..theres my inch i needed..

im going to see how it fits on my other car

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

BTT for more input

12. In response to wildearp and onlychevrolets, I have often tried to fit a a dustcover on my 350, sometimes with luck, others not so lucky , usually the shift linkage ,my rigging converting a standard shift to and automatic column shift on a 55 chev, oil filter, other stuff makes it dificult, So I usuall don't run a cover, My question is to ya'll why does it hurt to not run one , especally here in texas , no snow or salt , but some dust , what does it hurt to leave it off?? runs cooler, huh? thanks for whatever opinion you have ,,,,

13. dbradley

dbradley

My '33 has 700R4 with original "cast" cover, GM mini starter and 168 tooth (large) flexplate. Just make sure your flexplate matches the type of engine you have (one piece rear main -vs- 2 piece rear main) The one piece will have a balance weight welded to it. And I have a 350 trans and cover in the shop and yes they are COMPLETELY different. The 700r4 uses HUGE 'metric' mounting bolts for the cover.

14. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Trans rebuild shops are also a good source.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yep ..talked to the guy i use and he said if he came across one he would let me know.( he told me to try a junk yard..for 5 bucks I'd be done).GM dealer wants 44$ for the stamped steel one..im not convinced its the right one..Im waiting for someone to come on here and say..this is the part # you want..

the GM parts guy was scratching his head too much for me to think he knew what he was talking about:(:eek:

as for the guys saying why run one...well its there for a reason, rocks, road debri, plastic bag on the road etc..just think would you want any of that shit up around your torque converter..flexplate..and seals?..i dont..if i dont have to;)
    not to mention being low..possibly hitting somethig solid with the flexplate and bending it:mad::mad::(

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  16. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

If you have a leak at the pump seal, the cover will act as a funnel and make a precise puddle of trans fluid, rather than slinging it all over the place.

I had one of those leaks. :D

I have run without a cover on most vehicles. It isn't like dividing by zero........

17. dbradley

dbradley

I looked 'on-line' and found that mine is a "4WD" front case that allows the cast cover to be used..... see

The TH-700R4 was also offered in a 2 wheel drive version AND a 4 wheel drive version. The 2WD had a longer tailshaft and a housing including a bushing to support it along with containing a speedometer drive housing. The 4WD version had a much shorter tailshaft which was to be supported by the adapter and transfer case input shaft bearing, the 4WD speedometer was driven from within the transfer case rear output shaft housing. The only other difference I have found here is that the torque converter cover (dust cover) for the 4WD version was made of cast aluminum instead of stamped steel or molded plastic, and it used much larger bolts to attach to the transmission, as it also made provisions to attach strut rod reinforcements from a bracket that mounted under the motor mounts to the lower portion of the cast aluminum dust cover.

[​IMG]

18. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage