Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2014 Detroit Dragway Reunion/ Billetproof show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ftroop, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Saturday May 17 2014
    <a href="http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/ftroopwillys/media/imagejpg1.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I'll go for the racing but as far as I'm concerned a billetproof show this was not. At least half the cars with show tags had billet wheels or billet something else. Lots of nice stuff, just not what I was expecting.

3. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Last year was Billetproofs first time at the Milan. I believe they had cars coming over from the race side of the event that may have not fit in. I'm guessing they will have a better handle on it this year.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they're going to mix the whole event this time it should work "right". I'm an ex-Detroit Dragway racer and when I went to see some of the 'usual suspects' from my race days, not a one even knew there was an event on the other (spectator) side. I also think a one price thing needs to happen. Some paid for pit access twice which is bullshit. Considering all the vacant space in the pits and the mix that it could have been I'm surprised it wasn't done that way. Just sayin...

5. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

I agree the 2 price thing was fkd but as for empty pit spaces , you musta been at another even ! I got there early and pitted so far in the weeds I must have been in the next county . Car count was higher than expected , tech was a challenge but the biggest pain in the ass was all them dam mini bikes and golf carts not yielding to the racers ! Its a race track not a daycare facility . We'll be there anyway and looking forward to it.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I was referring to was right near the front, behind the small row of concession stands near the 1st set of bleachers. 2 empty fields and a "car show" with about 8 cars in it and room for dozens more. While I understand that each venue has their own income to consider it's not hard to distinguish which cars are racing and which ones are in the show field. If b'proof wants this to become a premier event they have to figure that out. I can't believe that's a bad idea.

7. I agree it was a bit of a cluster on the show side we got sent down a one way in one way out path along the bleachers, I just walked in the pits.....was I supposed to pay? It was a Shitty day weather wise too, which could have kept show car count down, also moving a show for the 3rd time doesn't help attendance. I dig the drag strip haven't been to the track since I got rid of my car 5 years ago....warning you will want to do it again first time ya see a good pass go,down the track

8. flathead4d

flathead4d

Sounds like a plan that needs some tweaking. Hope they straighten it out as I would like to attend.

9. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

A couple of things to remember, last year was the 1st year for Billetproof at Milan. Yes there were some hiccups. They will be addressed. Second, these are 2 separate events. Billetproof rents the spectator side of the track for thier event. In the past people would go to Ypsi, then travel to Milan. The way it is saves time and expense. The date change was due to the fact it had fallen on Mother's Day weekend, people asked for the change.

10. derbydad276

derbydad276

my old car club was the host for the mustang race at Milan a couple years back
    the field near the snack bar will hold a couple hundred cars easy
    and there is plenty of room for other stuff behind the bleachers in the pits
    too

last years weather sucked moose balls the young kid I took with me was shivering
    by noon so I took him home

the other thing Billitproof has against it is its a 64 older show
    up against drag cars through the mid 70's

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  11. I'm looking forward to the Billetproof show this year. There were a few cars that slipped through but some growing pains are to be expected being the first year for the event. I took my girls last year and they had a great time. I was hoping to have my car on the road but that doesn't look like its gonna happen. Hopefully the weather is a little more cooperative this year too.

12. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

When the date change was made, a request for perfect weather was also submitted!

13. At the end of the day if a like old cars, the smell of burning rubber, the sound of motors running on the ragged edge....

14. What.....Big Daddy!

15. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Yep! Too cool.

16. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Can't wait! Looking forward to another great Billetproof in the Motor City!

17. Choptop

Choptop

I've got photos of just about every car that was there and this isnt the case at all.

Rudi R and Dennis from the Autorama basement were the Gate Goons, so they know the score on what should get in and what shouldnt. They got it pretty right. As always there are always some cars that are outside the rules that do get in. They are the vast, vast minority. its not intentional and its nothing to get upset over, its just a car show.

as for the cross over issue... it was an issue with the people working the gates. Its been straightened out. You buy a pit pass or a show pass, you get a wrist band and that means you go anywhere on the grounds. No pit pass or show pass and you stay on the side, show or pits, that you entered. The gate folks have been brought up to speed on the concept :D.

as for which side is for the show and which is the pits, its not hard to figure out. The side with allllll the race cars? Thats the pits. The side with all the hot rods and customs? Thats the show. Both sides have bleachers and all the amenities.

If you bring your car to the show, you get to park right next to the track or right at the bleachers, you also get one pass down the track. Not a bad deal really.

The weather did suck last year. Cold as heck. Hoping this year will be better. :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  18. Choptop

Choptop

19. I will be attending again this year(hopefully)if I can get my car straightened out.The weather last year wasn't the greatest but we still had a good time.
    If I had to complain it would be about the road(s)required to drive on in order to get there.I think they were last re-surfaced shortly after World War One ended.Looking on the positive side;if you had a rattle in your car you couldn't find,this road made it a lot easier to locate and if you didn't have one you do now.

20. Choptop

Choptop

Roger Lindamood of "Color Me Gone" fame will be the Grand Marshall or the races and will have old and new "Color Me Gone" cars at the track! Very cool.

[​IMG]

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to say that I was merely making a suggestion. I'll definitely be there but don't wanna get tarred n feathered when I show up:eek:

22. Choptop

Choptop

happy to have you there... no tar and feathering as long as the "only 8 cars in the car show" and "hard to tell which side is the pits and which if the car show" stuff goes away. :rolleyes: I mean come on... isnt to time to get over the talking down Billetproof stuff and just enjoy the car shows in Mi for what they are?

23. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Dug the Challenger out today. 30 days.....
    [​IMG]

24. Choptop

Choptop

Niiiiice.

oh yes... Roger Lindamood is the Grand Marshal of the event. :D

25. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Garlits is bringing Swap Rat VIII to cackle!
    [​IMG]

26. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

27. cooljunk

cooljunk

Will be there, running with the Great Lakes Gassers.

28. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

See y'all there!

29. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

This Saturday!!

30. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan