Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first attempt at a Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickerdick, Apr 2, 2014.

1. stickerdick

stickerdick

I got rid of the 64 Falcon Wagon and picked up this 1962 Falcon Coupe. It is a nice driver, but it just looks like everybody else's car to me , so I have decided to make it into a Gasser. I am going to go my own way as far as interpretation of what a 60's style gasser would look like today, so some folks might not be too happy with my version, but that is what is nice about our hobby, everybody can do what they like and if it makes them happy, screw everybody else.

I have already used several tips from the different build's on this site to get myself started, I bought the 4" dropped axle from Speedway, 48" wide with the springs, steering and Wilwood disk brake kit. I also picked up a tunnelram with rebuilt carbs on Ebay for my 289 motor. I am going with Summitt racing Pulsar wheels, look allot like Ansen Slot mags and Mickey thompson SR tires front and back, the slicks will have to come later.

Everything has been shipped and should be here by the end of the week, then me and my chassis guy will get started, I hope. I'll try to post pics when I can to let you guys help guide me if I go too far out there, but It might end up just going my way no matter what. So, I hope you will enjoy "ANOTHER" Gasser build as much as I will.

I've included what my car looks like now, the parts that I have and a "rough" photo-shop version of what I'm thinking, but I have already strayed from the whitewall slicks, I just don't have it in my budget right now to do those.

Attached Files:

2. captmullette

captmullette

looks good.....have fun

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Should be fun! We need lots of pictures and commentary :)

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Search the Strange Bird.

5. Are you using a dropped axle?,,won't it sit pretty low? HRP

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome start...subscribed.

7. stickerdick

stickerdick

I don't think so, from all the builds I looked at here, the straight axle put the nose of the car way higher than I wanted, so I found some pics of cars from the 60's with the econo-line axle and some of those sat more "level", which is what I want. If it sits too low, I can always buy the straight axle and sell the dropped, but i think it will sit the way I'm seeing it in my Head. Here is a car that I kinda like the way it sits

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  8. stickerdick

stickerdick

Yep, I saw that thread, very cool car, just a bit more than I want to do, I'm not that much of a traditionalist! But it is a way cool car!

9. stickerdick

stickerdick

I'll do my best, I hope I can match you guys in mid Florida, are you going to the GoodGuys show at the end of the month? I'm trying to have this car ready to show off there, plus I want to make it to Beach Blast in May.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm using an Econoline dropped axle with as low a mount as possible, and mine still sits fairly high. I'm OK with it, as it was still low enough to have to radius the rear quarters.
    One thing to keep in mind with a Falcon, (or any unibody) is to make sure you spread the mounting points out with plates. The unibody is pretty thin metal, so welding small anchor points for suspension can be an issue, and they may tear out over time. I followed The Strange Bird's plan and put 1"x3" box tubing the entire length on the underside of the frame rails. I then welded the sub frame connectors to the box tubing and bolted-welded them to the rear spring mounts. I made up large angle plates on the inside frame rails of the engine bay to weld my engine mounts to also.
    Looking forward to seeing your Falcon build! Looks like you've got a very solid car to begin with!

11. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Swing by some day and I'll show you the dropped axle on my 62 Chevy II, it works great. Good luck with your project.

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

That Black one sit's Perfect ! If you can get yours to look just like that one, your a Winner !

13. TunnelRam!!!!!!

14. stickerdick

stickerdick

Yea, I hope I can come close to the black car is stance, I got all the parts in today except for the tunnel ram, it should be hereon Friday, I hope to get started with-in the next week, or sooner.

15. stickerdick

stickerdick

I still need to find a 2 gallon or at the max 3 gallon "moon" tank with brackets for the front bumper to hold my flame thrower juice!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  16. Cool! The gasser builds are my favorite for sure. Good luck, and enjoy. Mikey.

17. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I use Econoline axle & springs on my 60. Where are you getting the headers from? Love the project!

Jon

[​IMG]

18. I have always loved the "homemade air snorkels"

19. stickerdick

stickerdick

I use Econoline axle & springs on my 60. Where are you getting the headers from? Love the project!

Jon

I bought some fenderwell headers for a 56 ford pickup with a small block from speedway motors, they come really close to fitting, we will just hopefully have to do some minor modifications to make them fit correctly.

20. stickerdick

stickerdick

We got almost all of the parts in this weekend and we are going to start the conversion to "gasser" on the 14th of this month.

21. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

I like the before pics A LOT more, very cool car as is. Throw a hot SBF and a 4-gear in it and leave it. Even the weld wheels look good.

Tunnel rams and white wall slicks are two completely different eras that should never collide...pick a year and stay true to it. None of this all inclusive 'modern gasser' BS. Just my .02.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. metalman

metalman

I agree with Kevs above. Look back to the 60's, no wide white slicks!

23. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

#1 - thats a great looking hot rod now - use the tunnel ram if you must but don't butcher the car - sometimes less is more

24. stickerdick

stickerdick

Decided to go ahead and take the motor out to help make the axle conversion easier, we will do that on the 13th, oh boy, can't wait!

25. nelson845

nelson845
    from Sewaren,NJ

I like your proyect. As for the white walls, they are just tires! No big deal if you decide to change them later on. Build TO PLEASE YOUR SELF! Now the before fotos are boring as hell. GAS IT UP!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Texas Quake

Texas Quake

Get that nose up in the air!

27. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Remember you can always take that tunnel ram off if it runs like crap on the street. The rest of the plan seems to be well thought out. Enjoy.

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Back in the 60's the only cars I saw with whitewall slicks were on the street. Rarely saw any at the strip, as probably 99% of the cars racing used blackwall slicks. Seems to be one of those fads in today's modern gasser build to use whitewall slicks. I see more now than I ever saw in the 60's.

29. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I'm amazed at all the guys who were there that must have had there eyes closed. I'm sure it was the same then as it is now. If you liked them you ran them...I think it depends on the car.

Meltdown Drags
    July 18-20 2014

Attached Files:

30. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Meltdown Drags
    July 18-20 2014

Attached Files: