Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Lowering a 1954 Chevy for city driving...???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worthop, Apr 16, 2014.

1. worthop

worthop

I'm going to get new springs/shocks from Jamco for my '54.... I would like the 3" lowering kit, afraid it may be too much the the roads we have here in NYC (not that well maintained....)
    any pics of yours, and details/opinions would be appreciated

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

Dropping one of these cars 3-4 inches is no problem at all. My '53 (see avatar) sits at least 4 inches lower than stock and exactly ONE time in 12,000 miles I smacked the K-member pulling out of a gas station, but there was a serious hump in the road and an oddly-angled exit to the street.

I also had a '50 Ford couple lowered 3 inches and never came anywhere near dragging or scraping. You'll be fine.

3. worthop

worthop

Thanks....how did you go about lowering? cut coils? Jamco?

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Having just returned from my first trip to NYC, I would think long and hard about dropping your ride 3". Might see if there is a social group from NYC and ask some questions there. Had a good time there too, I have to say.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You can scratch off Jamco and save yourself some bucks,here is how.Your stock coil springs are a MOOG 639 go to this chart: http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/moog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/MOOG_Coil_Springs_Spec.pdf and look up the type of coil ends and the diameter they are and the installed height and write it down,next look for other coils using the same ends with a shorter installed height with a similar load spec,write down the part number and google it to find the best deal. here are the specs on your stock springs: http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG-639

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. worthop

worthop

ha....so you see, s55mercury66! ha! Thanks for the link, JeffB2... I will consider that....How about getting corresponding shocks, though?

7. 54FISH

54FISH

Better check threads on Jamco , not recommended by some .

8. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I got my springs for the 50 Chevy made to my specifications from coilspringspecialties.com

They were awesome to deal with and had them to me in 4 days. No complaints and great customer service.

Oh yeah the springs are perfect as well.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Step your control arms up front, and retain full suspension travel. 3" blocks out back, 4" doesn't leave much room for travel, I know... Gambino sells Posie's 3" drop springs, ain't cheap but gives better travel than getting it all with blocks. Should be ok, depending on your roads.... They really look better lower, but driveability can be an issue on shitty roads. Trim your bumpstops in half, and get a pair of air shocks in case you need to lift it up a little.

10. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I must be doing something wrong... I have 3" blocks in mine and I had to notch my frame because the axle was hitting the frame on every little bump. Even with the frame notched my pumpkin still hits the trunk floor occasionally. Mine doesn't seem very low either. ???

11. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Hello fellow New Yorker! I like how you said are roads arent well maintained. That was a compliment! Our roads suck. Any way i dont have the same car as you but i did lower my wagon about 3in or so and find that i do bottom out on some roads. Usualy at highway speed with dips in the road and some speed bumps and driveways. I think id be fine if it wasn't for my headers going under the control arms. Plus i dont have a sway bar so i have a lot of body roll. Besides u learn the roads so ull be fine. I say lower it!

12. TERPU

TERPU

Here is my recipe for a very driven and long haul/town driven car. It does bump the rear axle once in a while but it's worth it.

Front coils if yu cut off 1-1/2 coils it lowers the front 3". This is dependant on weight and spring resiliance but it's always pretty close.

The rear throw some 3" blocks in and it'll be fine.

While you are under there check the front pivot for the steering and make sure it's tight, and all the ball joints.

In the rear make sure the bolts are all tight, but the big one is make sure the brake line is not on top of the axle.

Have fun and be safe,

Tim

13. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I learned that one the hard way.....

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

OK, I had a 54 Chevy, and I live in NJ, and the roads arent' much better here than you have.
    It was lowered pretty much 3-4 in from when I got it. It wasn't super low, but still rode nice and only had problems in the deepest potholes and ruts. Cut coils up front, and lowering blocks out back. I put over 50K miles on i, mostly here in NJ, but I did do a lot of traveling out of state.
    The only thing I have to add to this, is that when you are talking about lowering a car, you need to be specific on whether the suspension and springs have been replaced, back to stock or if you are trying to lower a car with 70 year old springs! Makes a HUGE difference! Both in ride height, and ride quality. # in. lower than it was brand new is not very low, and will ride fine. Three in. lower from a worn out suspension, springs and shocks, might be undriveable!

15. 5window

5window

Been quite a while since someone actually recommended JAMCO, unless you count "got my parts". They lost their "Alliance" label some time back. Do a HAMB search anytime you plan to order from a vendor. This would be a good place to start.