Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935-1936 Ford pickup tech for the masses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 18, 2008.

1. fathead1977

fathead1977

hey great post thanks for the info I am working on a 36 and I have the big truck fenders would you happen to have any comparison photos of the half ton fenders and the big truck fenders I would like to run the big ones I have but after reading the post you shared I would imagine it would look goofy with extra space for the big truck wheels I cant locate a fender to compare myself or I would do you have any suggestions or advice thanks

2. Well finally got to drive my 36, (referenced earlier in this thread), after it was stored at the sellers place while we were in AZ for the Winter. It's even better than I remembered. Had to do a little Vise work on the Hurst shifter to get it out of my kneecap in Reverse. Plan to lower the clutch pedal a little but all in all I can drive it pretty comfortably considering I'm about 100 lbs heavier than I was when I had my first one. Going to put stock style outside mirrors on it, get a tonneau cover made for the bed and do a little interior work and it will be done. Oh, and maybe an old timey looking Texaco Fire chief sign on the doors.

Found a picture of my 1st one as well. This one is much nicer.

Attached Files:

3. OK test question. I want to put the stock hinge mount outside mirrors on the truck. They are for 2" inch hinges. The top hinge on both doors has what appears to be spacers top and bottom that make the hinge 2.4". They look like they will come off when the pin is pulled. Is this a stock setup or is this some sort of hinge restoration kit? The bottom door hinges do not have these spacers and measure 2". I'm concerned if they are intended to tighten the hinge up that the mirror will not perform the same function.

Attached Files:

4. Richard Head

Richard Head

I'll bet it is the remnants of the original mirror, just rounded off.

5. I knew you could figure it out but I couldn't wait for lunch. They are actually not perfectly round so I'm betting that's it. Interesting that it had mirrors on both sides. Must have been a custom:)

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep. Someone cut it off because they couldn't get the pin out.

7. Trying to decide what type of tonneau cover I want on the truck. I'm thinking something soft that follows the bed line. Don't really want to go with snaps although that would really be the vintage approach. Anyone got any pictures of what they have on an early truck like this?

Attached Files:

Toms Dogs likes this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have tried it both ways. The snaps over the edges is the most traditional, but they tend to stretch over time. I think I may build a hard cover that hinges in the middle on my next one and have it pleated to make it look more traditional.

9. Well I did a little work on my new toy. I stole some shiny stuff off my 32 including the tri-power. Had to install the tri-power twice because of my stupidity but finally got it done. I like it.

tri power side view small.JPG

Toms Dogs likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I dig it......

11. Jim

Jim

Here is mine... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400208594.165873.jpg

Fuck Cancer.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nice, what's the story on the chop Jim?

13. Jim

Jim

Thanks, it is 3" out of the top with the center filled in so we wouldn't have to lean the posts and only 2" out of the back window since I think it looked better. It was done by Paul Garland who also chopped my coupe.

Fuck Cancer.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

You should post more pics......

15. Jim

Jim

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400561424.273412.jpg Here is one from last Sunday after installing a 41 Ford bumper. The go is to have it ready to pull our trailer to a vintage trailer rally in Grass Valley in three weeks. Still need to install a rear bumper and hitch. Should be fun... Thanks for this post, I have learned a lot.

Fuck Cancer.

Attached Files:

16. I would be interested in seeing what you come up with for a hitch. I'm thinking of doing the same for mine but I'm not going to run a rear bumper. I'm in the market for a funky Canned Ham to pull it with. Love the look of yours.

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

18. I like it. Strong as hell. I may borrow some of your design.

19. redzula

redzula

That was a nice hitch setup nice work and we'll thought out

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Feel free to use anything you need.

21. Jim

Jim

Stole a couple ideas from your post and a couple others, just returned home from a successful first trip!!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402287566.070255.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402287615.353246.jpg

Fuck Cancer.

Toms Dogs likes this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

23. jeffer 35

jeffer 35
    from nw. okla

Root, I've noticed a few more differences between 35 -36 , the 35 cab has two braces in the roof, 36 on up only have one. The 35 grille has a raised rib that goes around it by the part where the hood lace is hooked to the grille. Great piece you did on these 35-7 's

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Jeffer, I have a 35 cab I am working on right now. I'll take a look at that and see if mine is that way.

25. TGallaher

TGallaher

WOW, I started reading this thread over a week ago and just finished. Great detail for sure. Thanks for posting this and it is great to see that it keeps getting more and more information as time goes on. I have a 35 and this information will be very handy.

26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excuse me, Bud, but I think you have a '35 grill and hood.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a really nice '35.

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Jeffer, I looked at my 35 and it only has one brace. I have never seen one with 2. That is interesting. Is it a pickup cab or a big truck cab?

29. This is the best thread I've ever read on this subject.
    You should compile your information into an ebook for sale with a "Buy It Now" button.
    I would buy it simply to support your efforts, and for all the information you have given us.