Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building the Chevy II Gasser "The Boogie Man"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris dunn, Jul 19, 2013.

1. OldColt

OldColt

I doodle draw race cars and hot rods Chris. I don't know what your car will end up looking like. I have sketched it all black with a white boogie man on each side going across the doors to where the rear wheels are. He is horizontal like he is flying fast. The boogie man looks like casper the ghost, except he has glowing red eyes and a sinister look. He sort of fades out at his edges to look ghostly. He also has claws on his hands. Below his waistline he breaks into white letters spelling out BOOGIE MAN. I can't wait to see the finished product any which way you do it.

Patricia, typing on Steve's computer.

2. chris dunn

chris dunn

Man, that sounds AWESOME!!!! Would love to see a rendering...

3. chris dunn

chris dunn

Got the rear slicks last night and the back brace. I mounted the slicks on the wheels we are running and just had to stick them up under the car to get a look!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Back brace..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OldColt

OldColt

Here is Patricia's little doodle sketch. Boogieman sketch.jpg Maybe he needs to be chasing a scared little kid in a night shirt :eek::D

--- Steve ---

5. chris dunn

chris dunn

That's pretty cool!!!

6. Really starting to come together,,great work Chris! HRP

7. chris dunn

chris dunn

Here's some pics from yesterday and today. Body is off so final welding can get done. And i got the drive shaft hoop made and installed today...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Very cool build thread! making progress!

I gotta ask though... how does that rear suspension work?

Are you adding more tubes to it?

Sam

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Moving right along! That's great! Looking good man.

10. chris dunn

chris dunn

The rear uses a ladder bar setup. With leaf springs on a floater system..

11. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

It's looking awesome!

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Really nice work Chris! I'm enjoying your progress pics!

13. CGkidd

CGkidd

Very cool looking so far.

14. OldColt

OldColt

Looking great Chris. Chassis and cage looks real sturdy. Hope you never put the Boogie Man on it's roof, but it looks like you'll be prepared if the worse happens. Looks like the motor is mocked up about 5% setback. Do you plan on going a bit futher back with it, like 10% maybe.

--- Steve ---

15. chris dunn

chris dunn

We are aloud 10% but we are going back only about 8%. If we go 10% it will put us into the cowl way more than I would like. The cage is still getting a few more bars. But I hope we never have to check how good they protect us...LOL LOL:D

16. CGkidd

CGkidd

What kind of floater system are you using on the leaf spring?

17. So you're taking out what you have and are going to add ladder bars? or adding bars to what you have?

I just don't see how what you have will work.

Sam

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Sam check out Gene Cromers build thread there's a pic of the finished bars. I did them to look old school but added an adjustable link on top out of site. As far as I know the ones I did for Cromer is the first set that have ever been done that way. Hope they work he has not made a full power run yet and there are 2 more cars already being built with them. Chris went 1 step further and added the adjustable rod end to his in front that I think is a good idea. here's the link http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730747&highlight=quain+stott&page=19 page 19 post #380

19. noted1017

noted1017

Great build can't wait to see more. I love gasser and will be watching

20. OldColt

OldColt

Just curious Chris. Are the missing body parts going to be steel or fiberglass.
    Keep up the good work, looks like it's going to be a first class old gasser :). - --- Steve ---

21. chris dunn

chris dunn

Everything will be fiberglass. But the front fenders. I are ready have a set of steel ones. Unless I change my mind.....

22. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Them steel fenders sure are heavy........

23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Nova fenders arent very heavy at all. The have very little bracing.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Did Chris go on vacation? :)

25. chris dunn

chris dunn

I wish!!!!! Sorry guys we been so busy at the shop I haven't really had time to work on it.. And yesterday I went to Ware Shoals to watch Gene and the moonlighter. But I got real fired up watching. So looks like I will burning the Mid night oil this week on THE BOOGIE MAN.. We are so close to putting on the ground. I will post pics this week...... Thanks guys for your support...

26. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

LOVE your build. I have always wondered, when you weld in the spring mounts and shackels to the frame, how do you know where to put them? There is no weight at all on them and you don't know for sure how much it will weigh when completed so you don't know how much to add. I am planning on doing something similar, and have wondered this my self.

27. Frank,when I was at Chris's shop I picked up one of the fenders,,they are pretty light. HRP

28. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Dang all these years I thought they made fiberglass frontends to save weight....... silly me. Seriously, I just made the first comment about weight because of a little conversation with Chris. He said he was serious about making the car as light as possible. He not only drilled the front axle, he milled it to save weight.

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

When in doubt, I mount them perpendicular to the frame, but I don't permanently weld them, just tacks. Once the weight is on they will settle to an angle, and if it's not the angle you want, it's easy to grind the tacks off, and adjust it before permanently welding them.

30. OldColt

OldColt

I replaced body parts on an compact OT car once. The fiberglass bumpers, hood, and trunk lid were a lot lighter than the original steel parts :), but the little unbraced steel front fenders only weighed like one pound more than the fiberglass ones.:(

--- Steve ---