Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 barrel vs 2 barrel 351C.... How do I tell the difference?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanIam, Jul 16, 2010.

1. DanIam

DanIam

Is there a way to visually tell the difference between a 4 barrel and 2 barrel on a 351 Cleveland? Any help would be appreciated.

2. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

ports in 4bbl head way bigger, 4bbl intake wont fit 2bbl motor,

3. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Take off the aircleaner and look down the carb - 2 VS 4 is pretty easy to see.

4. DanIam

DanIam

No carb on this one. What should I look for? Sorry for the VERY basic question, but I am a true newbie.

5. 4V heads have a "4" cast into the upper left corner of the head, just outside where the valve cover fits. I assume, 2V heads have a "2" there but can't say for sure as mine are 4V.

Steve

6. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Wouldn't the intake have 4 holes and not two?

7. As Hemisteve said, pretty much all 4V Cleveland heads have the "4" cast into them...can't miss it. Keep in mind that there are both open chamber and closed chamber 4V heads.

You will get proponents for both types of chambers; my preference would for CC, but the open chamber heads can be made to work. Closed chamber heads go for more money.

Keep in mind (I mention this since you say you are relatively new to Clevelands) that if the heads need to be completely redone, and you are paying extra $$ for the "4V" or "Cleveland" mystique, you may be better off buying aftermarket heads. There are at least four different makers of aftermarket Cleveland heads, plus another on the way....(there's actually even one more, but I don't consider Pro Comp to be a maker of anything that I would ever buy...)

Here's a good website for Cleveland casting numbers (as well as other FoMoCo engines): http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/

8. 58custom

58custom

4V heads do have a "4" cast in the upper right corner near the VC rail. The 2V types have a "2", an "M" or nothing. Intake and exhaust ports are shown below. 4V on the left. Open chamber heads are fine. Don't worry about the combustion shape just design the rest of the engine around it. Most 4V deals are 2V because people are lying bastards. Check my sig for an web forum dedicated to the Cleveland series engines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  9. George

George

The 4 bl has a 4 in both upper corners. 2 bl has a 2 in both corners. If there's nothing there, they're the less desirable 351m-400 heads & the engine probably is too in that case, unless they're imported Australian C heads.