Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Race Stories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BottleBob, Jan 10, 2009.

1. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Hey Bob, I remember working on the vette and the disappointment in finding the trans toast. I liked working on other peoples cars because it meant my was running :D.

There was a race where the Brannan Boys brought out an old Plymonth/Dodge Super Stocker on a trailer. They asked if you wanted to race so you went into your car negotiating mode. They look at you with a quizical look and say' "But we want cars?" :rolleyes: It was some ridiculous amount but you did it....It was on the Simi Freeway.

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The first time I saw Bottle Bob.

My first night at the street racings, early 70's. There's a primered '68-69 vette that is flat towed in. No hood, big block chevy, 4 speed and slicks. They had come from Irwindale. Word spreads there's a race coming down. I hop in my '55 Chevy and follow everyone. We park at a gas station, which is open all night. The primered vette drives in and parks next to Bob's brown vette. Whispers are spreading through the crowd that the brown vette is on the bottle. It was relatively new then and everyone talked that it wasn't much good and work blow your motor. The guys with the primered vette are talking that with slicks, they'll get so far out, Bob will never catch them.

I see Bob, he's older than me. Glasses, pony tail, striped polo shirt and cords. Look in his car. School books piled on the seat. Whats this guy doing street racing....:rolleyes: Primered vette looks like a race car. The brown vette with the vinyl roof looks like a daily driver. :confused:

The cars line up, heads up. The hands drop, the primered vette hooks and takes the lead by a couple of cars. in first gear. The brown vette is in chase mode. It's dark, tail lights dwindling, can't see the finish.

Both vettes come back when word spreads, Bottle Bob won..........:D

3. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

BottleBob ,Green Acres is in Northeast Ohio near Cleveland. Groucho is your Rappie [ yes its geo ] You would enjoy reading .......NE Ohio HAMBERS some really good street racing stories there. Amazing how different our cultures are from left to right. But the racing is the same. My favorite place to vacation is California. I am in Palo Alto every Oct.
    Best ,Haney

4. jc555247

jc555247

It was a HOT June evening back in 1960. I had gotten my hands on my mothers 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury and I was crusing down our local 2 lane. There was almost no traffic as I came up to the stop light that we all considered the Start line of our local UN sanctioned drag strip. As I stopper a 1958 Chevy Impalla 2 dr with 348 flags on the hood, over the big V pulls up on my right. As soon as the guy stopped he jumps out and starts unscrewing caps off home made dump tubes that he had in his front wheel wells. Well when I saw this I held the brake and lit the tires up. The guy jumps in and he starts burning his tires. Now not to be out done I hold the break hard and REALLY light them up. I had tire smoke all through the intersection and even inside my car. During this tire burning FORPLAY, the light had actually turned green and red again. Plus there were cars behind us, but what the heck we had a race to run, and besides they had front row seats for what was going to be the main event of the evening. So we both brough it down and I even had to back up a bit and re set my front end on the cross walk. Then I held the break and brought the rear end up just a bit so as not to spin the tires, and , THIS WAS IT when all of a sudded out of my left eye I spotted a convertible across the intersection, that was putting the top down and the driver was standing up in the front seat and waving his arms. If an instant, I thought " who is this nut and doesn't he know we will be going with the light and not his arm waving" THEN I SAW IT. Right behind this guy there was a State Trooper in the crusier. Needless to say we both took off slowly. I pulled ahead of the 58 CVhevy, partly (because I was a dick head) but mostly because the 58 Chevy was now running open headers and he wanted to keep the noise down. As I pulled in front of the 58 I looke in my mirror and I could see the Trooper heading for the U TURN that was about 1/10 of a mile up. For a second I though about making a run for it, and making a U TURN myself and going back the other way or trying to pull off and hide behind one of the buildings on our right side. BUT before I could make up my mind, the Trooper was right behind the 58, and he had the lights and sireene going. We pulled over and as I lowered the window the Trooper was right beside me and sreaming for PAPERS. I handed him the papers and on his way back to the crusier he took the papers from the guy in the 58 Chevy. After a sec I got out and as I made Eye contact with the driver of the 58 I raised my right hand and made a twisting motion. The guy got out and flipped me one of the twist caps. I crossed to the right side of his Chevy and twisted on the right side dump tube cap, as he put on the drivers side dump tube cap. We met at the rear fender of the Fury and just stood there looking at the passing cars. As the cars went by I saw a couple of old ladies, a family with a couple of small kids and a car with two old people, ( probably younger then I am today) with two GOOD LOOKING chicks in the back seat that gave us both that special HOT smile. Hey this isn;t so bad after all I thought, Then the Trooper gets out and as he comes up he tells the guy from the Chevy to start it up and rev it up. The ting is actually quiet now. The Trooper looks in the wheel well, and then tells me to start up the Fury. The Sport Fury is actually QUITE LOUD ! and has a real gas eating heavy rumble. This thing had come with 4 mufflers but I had taken off the two rear ones, which were called resinators back then. This Fury also had a 361 with duel quards and a 72 torqueflight tranny. Well the the Trooper tells me to open the hood, and as I did the guy from the 58 Chevy comes up and stands beside me and the Trooper as we all look in. The Trooper gave the thing a good look over and the just looked at me and shook his head. He then handed us back our papers and told us both to get the HELL out of his territory. He went on to say that if we had to race we should go up where they were building the new highway. As we walked back to the side of the cars the Trooper asked me " Who was the guy in the Convertible" I looked at him and said " I don't know but that sure was a stupid place to be putting down a top". I pulled open my door and jumped in. As I was digging for the keys I heard the Trooper ask that driver of the 58 Chevy " do you really think you could have won that" Then I took off. Later that evening I was in MY 1949 Ford 2dr sedan, which was a tub ( I wish I still had it). It was lowered down in the rear, had no grill, ( hadn't found a pontiac oval yet ) and it was in grey primer and had Buick hub caps, when I pulled into the local burger drive in restaurant. I spotted the 58 Chevy and went over. I asked the guy if I had put the dump tube cap on OK, He looked at me a we both laughed. I then asked him how he had answered the Trooper when he was asked if he thought he could win that. The guy then told me that he had said " WIN WHAT OFFICER" and then the entire parknig lot all laughed. " Back in the 1950:s you Did NOt Call a State Trooper anything other then SIR or TROOPER.
    Well, " Win What OFFICER" became the phrase of the summer. I never did get a chance to race the 58, that summer, THINGS JUST GOT IT THE WAY. I would have liked to have raced the 58 Chevy and then had the winner race the Trooper. The Trooper was in a 1957 Ford 2 dr sedan. I never did get a look under his hood that evening, nor since. Does anyone know what State Troopers were running back in thoes 1957 Fords? AND Who do you think would have won?

5. BottleBob

BottleBob

Rick:

In that time period the brown Vette was my ONLY transportation. The books were there because I had just come from night class at Valley College where I was taking engineering courses relevant to my Tool & Die apprenticeship.

In the early years I tried to be as low profile as I could since it tended to get me more races. I'd sneak off and race with minimal looky-loos and then come back to the lot to try and get another race.

I wasn't always called BottleBob, that didn't start till years later. I used to cringe when people started calling me that since I KNEW such an appellation could only hurt my chances of getting races I could win. So I tried to do damage control, that usually wasn't all that successful. But after awhile I learned to live with it since it seemed to have stuck like stink on whatever.

I also didn't like lying to direct questions, so tended to engage in misdirection and evasion. For instance, I had a bumper sticker on the Vette that said: "The Bottle Is - For Babies", so if during the course of race negotiations someone asked me if I were 'on the bottle', I'd take them over to the car and show them the bumper sticker, and ask them: "If I were on the bottle, would I have a bumper sticker like THAT on my car?" Not really lying or stating that I don't have a bottle, but sort of like a leading of the witness kind of tactic.

For a time I used to keep a piston in the car that had the impression of a screw embedded in the dome, obviously from a screw getting into the combustion chamber and rattling around.
    So when someone wanted to see the engine, I'd say: "I don't run an air cleaner (true enough) - let me show you what can happen if I open the hood and somebody puts junk down my carburetor when I'm not looking." And I'd drag out the 'ol piston and show them. :)

6. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Love these stories from ca. Bob Someday i will have to write down the stuff that was going on in Jersey at the same time.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, YES, YES !!!!
    There is no time like the present to start writing that book, talk to guys like Roger Jetter or C9 about getting published!!
    DO IT, this is our history and it needs to be recorded!

Doc.

8. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Thanks for the info

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. BottleBob

BottleBob

Ol Gasser:

Absolutely write them, that's what this thread is all about.

Here's a short race story. This takes place on a Wednesday cruise night. Usually, Wednesday nights weren't real productive for getting street races since the hard-core racers came out on Saturday nights.

This is from my early days of racing, and up to this time I'm not really known since my brown Vette hasn't raced any of the Big Dogs, so no-one has any idea how quick, or not so quick, my car might be. But race negotiations have been progressing with Kelly and his 66-67 Tunnel ram Chevelle on slicks. IIRC, I'm to get like 5 or 6 cars. Kelly's car is one of the "Known Racers" where people know he's fast.

So we go to Plummer and the VA hospital (the VA hospital is on one side of the street and houses on the other. Kelly is in the middle of a mob scene - pit crew all over airing down his tires, pouring water/bleach down helping him do water burnouts, laying rubber down like a dog marking his territory. It looks like a Chinese fire drill back there, or one of those Charlie Chaplan silent movies. I do a couple little burnouts to try and get the bigger "marbles" and chunks of rubber off my start path.

We line up, Kelly's way behind me. Starter goes through the start procedure and we're off. I'm not even out of first gear and Kelly is at my door already. I'm thinking - Jeeze, if I survive THIS race I SWEAR I'm not going to race cars with slicks ANYMORE! I hit second and juice it and I pull up beside the Chevelle, then go on by. Hit third and the car's running good but I can't see Kelly, my rearview mirror has been bumped and I can't see behind me very well. I'm figuring that Kelly is right there at my rear bumper in my blind spot, so I'm hard on it thinking that tunnel-ram of his is going to 'freight-train" right by me on the big end, so I'm pushing the gas pedal through the floor boards. Finish line car coming up fast and I stay on it since Kelly must be RIGHT THERE. I pass the finish-line car and I've won! I let off and wait for Kelly to FLY by. But he doesn't. I look around and he's nowhere to be seen. THEN, I see him like 10-12 cars back. And I'm wondering if he broke something.

We go back to the start, and I'm thinking we'll have to do it over again as Kelly must have missed a gear and got out of it. But he comes up an pays me, I'm shocked!. Everybody starts talking at once. It seems they ALL heard Kelly's car make all his gears and that he was on it all the way, but I just won by like 12 cars or so. I'm thinking OH MAN, I've blown it now. I had no IDEA I was so far ahead or I would have done some SERIOUS sandbagging. Some people come by and say things to the effect of hey your Vette's pretty damn quick. I inwardly groan, thinking my racing days are OVER, since I'll never get another race I can win. I go home bummed to the max, and wishing I had never raced Kelly.

11. Write them HERE, NOW. You sound like Got'Cha, merely promising to write, but not writing:confused:

12. I'd sometimes race a race that I couldn't win, just for the sake of racing in the event no-one else would make me a fairer race. One night, I'm racing Sammy's 56 Chevy. I car I didn't think I could beat. But , it's late, and I don't wanna wait another 7 days for the street races again. They were every Saturday. After a while it was 2-3 times a week. THAT killed racing, as no-one was "hungry". People thought if they didn't race Thurs, they'd race Saturday, or Sunday. So it just became a fucking social event. Anyway, it's my "move". Heads up start, but I get to leave when I want, and Sammy chases. I tell my friend, if I have any prayer of winning, I need the best possible advantage on getting the "move", so line Sammy up 1st, then when you line me up, JUMP out of the way, 'cause I'm leaving immediately. My friend jumps, as I'm already moving, I clip one of his feet with my bumper, and he almost lost his balance and fell. I won by a fender. The same fender that my advantage was from the very start. I needed that "move" as much or more than I thought

13. RacerRick

RacerRick

Someone need to do a good street racing movie about this stuff. At least a documentary.

14. Me and my friends talk about it all the time. Seems that since we've lived it, we know how exciting it was. But, the average person that spends money at the theatre would rather see shit movies like Fast and Furious, where a drag race takes 15 minutes, the driver shifts 12 times, and has time to lean over to the passenger seat and adjust his lap-top:mad:. God those movies suck a D*CK. I've had several people from T.V. or movies approach me at our local cruise spot to participate in some car crap. I always decline. When they ask why, I tell them you always fuck it up somehow. One night, the local news did a piece at our Bob's in Toluca lake, where several interesting cars show up. They must've showed some Pinto 85% of the time their piece aired:confused:.

15. I'd street raced an Anglia years ago. I won 3 races one night at Glenoaks & Peoria. I set all 3 opponents out a bunch of cars. Afterwards, this guy says, you think you're bad shit with that car? I got a race for you, and you'd better race it. Next week he brings out a 69(?) Chevelle race car. Glass nose, gutted, big block, slicks.........A fucking race car. All I got's this little old, near stock Anglia. He asks how many cars I'm giving him. I said, you called me out, I ain't giving you shit. He's uncorked, doing burnout ,after burnout. I'm thinking, calm down here Kenny Bernstein. I'm really expecting a race here, so I'm not gonna chance sandbagging. Too bad for me. I killed that Chevelle so bad, racing for me was near nil for a while after that. Here's the Anglia. Guess who the little blond is 25 yrs ago??? Pro Stock Bike rider Karen Stoffer

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  16. Another story about the Anglia above. I sell it to my buddy Al Moraldi. He brings it to the street races and a friend of mine picks on Al in front of a crowd of people to race his acid dipped, LS-7 powered 69 Nova with 14W's under the back of it. Al comes up to me and says Jeff's picking on him. I tell him to tell Jeff heads up anywhere for any amount. Al turns to tell Jeff, then turns back around and says, Jeff's your buddy and you're setting me up to lose. I tell Al, it's my old car, and don't wanna see it lose. Al says, yeah, turns to approach Jeff, turns back to me instead, and says, but you're better friends with Jeff. I say, GODAMMIT Al I'll put up all the fucking money, no matter how much. Al smiles, hugs me, looks me in the eyes, and says, you rock dude. The race is set up for the next night. The carbs fuck up on the Nova and Al patiently waits. The Nova's now fixed and the Anglia has a dead battery. Jeff's unhappy with Al. I tell Jeff, he waited for you. Anyway, I'm calling the finish and the Anglia's ahead by 15 cars! Since I was splitting the purse with Al, he comes over to me and says, you'd better go collect our money because Jeff's gonna be plenty pissed. Another big hug from Al, and I go collect. The pic below is Super Chevy at OCIR early 80's. Al's gonna chase down Tony Noto's ex SS car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The early days, it was "The Old Man" or "Pony Tail". :D

I finally got up the nerve to race Bob on Wentworth. He's spotting me 8 cars with my '55 Chevy. 327, 4 speed and 4:56's. First, second and third gear, I can see Bob in my rear view mirror so I short shift to 4th. Looking for the finish line, the brown vette blazes by me. I'd been had......:eek:

18. "Ponytail"-Oh shit, I'd forgot about that. Hey Rick. Bob was just over here last Friday. Looks the same. Just a lab-coat away from looking like a Mad Professor:D (sorry Bob)

19. Racers Wife

Racers Wife

20. RacerRick

RacerRick

They usually fuck it up. Thats why a documentary would be better - and get it done by a car guy.

As soon as studios get involved - it would be another fast and foreigness.

21. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

480 cubic" olds motor, 9 inch 410, solid 12.0 street car on pump gas. Street Racers circa 80's N.E. Ohio know this car. Built by HAMBER coldwar.
    [​IMG]

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Street racer named Monk had a Gremlin with a 304. Bone stock except for a degreed cam, re-jetted carb, dual exhaust and the rear carrier shimmed so it would hook posi. Low 13 second car.

23. BottleBob

BottleBob

Rick:

No, I don't think you'd been "had". Sandbagging from BEHIND was not a strategy I favored, or had much faith in. Your '55 was just too much car for me to catch except at the very end. If you hadn't short shifted you might have won. That reminds me another race.

There were three street racing brothers from Tujunga that all had bad attitudes - bullies, cheaters, loud and obnoxious - you know the type. The kind you LOVE to beat, and HATE to lose to.

So I've got my '72 Trans-Am out, but I had just put a quickie unit on it. It so quick an installation that the braided steel line is running outside the front part of the passenger window and into the engine compartment through the corner of hood and cowling. I've wrapped the line with electrical tape so it's not real visible from a distance, but it's obviously a hurried installation.

So with race negotiations that entailed much yelling, ridicule, finger pointing, derogatory remarks - most all on the Tujunga boys side, I get a race with the middle brother in a Dart or Duster (I don't recall now which). Always waaay too much drama with the Larsons.

We go to Woodman & Saticoy. I'm getting some cars, since even with their attitudes these guys have to respected for building fast stuff. If I remember correctly the race is from a roll with my go - I can't believe I'd ever trust any of them to be behind me an NOT jump the start with a starter. Anyway, the start is not imported to this story.

We take off and I punch the motor in low, and I can see his car is already making up cars, I shift to second, and he's made up more ground. I hit the little unit I've put on the car and his progress slows down but he's STILL coming. I'm thinking Cripes I'm gonna hate losing to these guys - but that's what seems to be in the cards. THEN, all of a sudden my front end drops and the TA is no longer pulling hard. I'm confused, what the hell happened, THEN the car starts pulling hard again for a second, THEN stops pulling. Whats happening is the bottle is low on juice and had turned slightly before the race, with the siphen tube not pointing to the rear like it's supposed to. Which means, when the car accelerates hard it uncovers the the siphon tube and pushes nitrous VAPOR into the line instead of nitrous LIQUID, then when the hard acceleration drops the siphon tube gets covered in liquid nitrous and the car pulls hard again. Anyway, what the spectators see is the car lifting the front end and pulling hard then dropping like I'm getting out of - then hitting it again.

As far as the race goes, I figure I'm as good as two week old roadkill crawling with maggots now, since if I couldn't hold the Larson boy off with my car running perfect, I certainly have about ZERO chance of holding him off with this intermittent squeeze problem. But I stay in it for awhile longer and - SURPRISE! SURPRISE! He's dropping back, not due to me out accelerating him, he's just shut off and is slowing down, and turning around. I finish the pass on the motor to make it official and go back to the start point. I look at the person holding the money and he looks at the Larsons and they shake their heads yes - but they're NOT happy campers. So the holder gives me the money - GOT to have an independent holder of money when dealing with THESE guys.

So I go up and ask what happened, why did you get out of it? He/they grumble: "You know why." You were just playing with us, and you'll get yours. I start to laugh, and explain that I wasn't playing with them, but that there was something wrong with my car and that he would have won if he had stayed in it. If they were pissed before, they're pissed CUBED now. They want to run again. I say I can't do that until I fix the problem. These guy are staring daggers at me. I don't want to laugh anymore, these guys are on the edge would probably dismember me - but I'm feeling pretty damn good about the whole situation. :)

One final non related comment here. I'm moving about 5 miles away in a few weeks and I have a TON of packing to do - but this board is so addicting that I'm putting off the stuff I SHOULD be doing. Maybe I should pack THIS computer up FIRST so I can get some WORK done. So I may be offline for a few weeks.

24. BottleBob

BottleBob

Groucho:

Heh, if you thought that was bad, you should see me when I first get up in the morning and my hair is all frizzy and standing straight up. :)

Street racer accessorizing:

The homemade tire durometer has already been mentioned, also the wheel for marking off feet & quarter mile distances - (Oh BTW, I used that wheel for marking off carlengths at certain race spots and used some spray paint to mark the curb 5 cars out and 5 in). I also mentioned the hand held Christmas tree starting light. Now for some other things.

At one point I got ahold of an old radar gun that the police use for checking speed. I used to go to the finish on races where I wanted to know how quick a car was that I might race. I'd radar them from inside my car when they were racing. The mph doesn't tell you their ET, but it was data that you can made inferences from.

Then there were the night vision goggles I scored, like the army uses, that would would illuminate the darkness to help see what was going on.

I bought a couple of cheap digital stop watch timers. I'd practice with another person across a dark room where he would turn on a flashlight at the exact same moment he'd click on his stopwatch. I'd turn on my stopwatch at the exact instant I saw the light go on. The we'd compare the timers to see just how much to allow for my particular reaction time. You've got to do a lot of practicing to get know what your reaction time is in different situations. When you're at a race spot in the night you click on your timer as soon as you see the headlights lift. But you have to make a slight allowance for that as well since the car has already started moving forward BEFORE the body lifts. This process takes a lot of practice to become proficient and some deduction for the physics involved as everyone's reaction time with be a little different. You should practice on a car that you KNOW how quick it really is to dial in you correction factor.

Another toy I got was a pocket bike. Probably a 40lb motorcycle that was real short and low to the ground. It would fit in the back of my '82 Camaro, or most car's trunks. Rather than walking up and down the quarter where people were all spread out watching the races, I'd use the Dandy Bike to put-put up and down the length of the quarter asking various people for races. I also had some battery powered "head lights" that would fit on your head like glasses so cars and people would see me coming and not back up over me. Pretty neat at the time.

I'll honestly say that I really didn't use the radar gun too much or the timer thing since I felt is was kind of like cheating, but for a while is was a novelty - and I was always up for trying something new and different.

25. novadude

novadude

Great thread! Thanks for all the stories.

BTW, This was a regular "sport" for me back in the early 1990s on Sunday nights. I didn't drive anything exciting, just a 14 sec Brown '70 Nova. No money runs for me. Sure was fun showing up the rich kids in their new 5.0 Mustangs though! ;)

Bob... my buddy had a big block '70 vette w/ a 454. That thing would dominate, and beat cars that should have been much faster. Vette IRS seemed to work great for hooking on the street.

26. alvisoroadsters

alvisoroadsters
    from Cupertino

i got my license on a wensday in 75'. friday nite we were at the street races on matilda in sunnyvale.Id been a regular for a couple years with a freind who was stuyding to be a cop,but had a cougar that was pretty healthy. I had a 52 chevy pu. the cops came & everyone scatered "then came back" we ended up on a frontege road to 237 and spotted about 7 cars & people standing around
    in the middle of a big parking lot.
    I told the guy with me,there proubly just partying waiting for the cops to leave
    so i turn in the lot.the sprinklers are on & the parking lot is all wet.so we nail the gas & start around the light poles,sideways one way & then the other.
    I was half right!! it was 4 cars partying & 3 undercover cars busting them!!
    when two little 16 year old idiots drive in & start doing donuts around them.
    one of them shot across the parking lot & lit me up. the beer that i threw out landed right at his door as he got out.
    he took my license,looked at it & kept saying "2 DAYS U BEEN DRIVING 2 DAYS !!! " he told us see those guys,there going to jail !! I thought shit were going to be handcuffed to them.not to mentioned my dads really gonna be pissed off.
    after throwing out the rest of our beer & scaring the shit out of us,He let me go.no ticket or nothing

27. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

funny thing Hamber Coldwar shims all his 9" fords that way. The one in my 30 is shimmed for posi. { the pro's ? } claim it will cause too much heat and fail ? ? ? How could it bathed in lube like it is ? ? We never had a failure yet. didn't know anybody else was hip to that trick ! ! ! we call it the "Berea Locker" Ha Ha

28. Ah yes, the Pedometer I think you called it. I remember Jim G "stop watching" my red Camaro from the passenger seat @ Lumber City on an off night. What ever happend to the G-Meter? I'd sure like to have that

29. CalGasser

CalGasser

What's your buddy's name?

30. BottleBob

BottleBob

Groucho:

You mean the G-Tech?

http://www.gtechpro.com/ss.html

Man, I wish they had made those things back in the day, a great tuning aid. Seat of the pants tuning is usually only good for discerning a difference of between 20-30 HP - depending on butt sensitivity (really inner ear sensitivity).

It got "lost" during one of my car washes. I talked to the manager of the car wash and they searched all though my car for it, and then gave me a bunch of free car washes. But my G-Tech is history.