Register now to get rid of these ads!

Iron Invasion - Chicagoland show Oct. 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Aug 19, 2011.

1. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

IRON INVASION
    McHenry County Fairgrounds
    1050 Country Club Rd, Woodstock, IL 60098
    October 6, 2012

Others have come before.... much love and respect to the pioneers.....

Iron Invasion hopes to continue in the footsteps of those have paved the path of tradition.

Our hope is that you will join us in a celebration of good people, good music, & maybe a little gear grinding in Woodstock Illinois.

• Traditional Hot Rods and Kustoms.
    • Western Swing & Rockabilly vibrations will get your feet a movin'.
    • Tin Butchers Swap Meet - (this is NOT a flea market - vintage parts and automobillia ONLY.
    • Vendors from California, Texas, & New York - and points in between.
    • Today's hottest contemporary lowbrow & automotive artists - Max Grundy, Ed Tillrock, Keith Weesner.
    • This will be an event designed for one purpose - to have fun. The atmosphere is laid back and the rides here are driven.
    McHenry Cty Fairgrounds are older and have nice trees and buildings and sheep/dairy barns we can use. Tin Butchers will be doing the swap meet. Speedcult, Max Grundy, Keith Weesner, Marcy (High Octane), OldClothes.com from NY, along with members of certain car clubs in the Chicagoland area have all agreed to come out and support the show.

What will make this event different from just any other show will be the entry criteria - no silly modern wheels - no billet. This is a pre '65 show... there will be a "friends" area just like they have at the Roadster show in CA every year... this will be a section for the billet cars or muscle - it will be right outside the entry way for the qualifying cars. So even if your car is too new - you can still come out and enjoy the day and be a part of the Invasion - this area for the Chevelles and such will NOT be in the normal spectator lot - it will be completely separate.

We will be getting Wayne the Train Hancock to be the headline music act.

We will have all 5 building at our disposal - all are very close to each other and vendors and invited show cars/kustoms will be inside the buildings. We have room for 18-24 cars on the inside and probably have about 20-30 spots for indoor vendors. One of the buildings will have an indoor theater showcasing vintage drags, stock cars, and other movie classics from back in the day.

Another aspect of the show that will be different from most other shows will be the DIY Stunt Show. This will give drivers the opportunity to "hit the pit". A jazzed up term for an area where crazy cats can do powerslides or burn outs or donuts... one at a time and in a safe area that will have grandstand so that people can cheer the drivers on.

Pin up contest will be sponsored by Retro Lovely magazine and run by women - other sponsors will be named very soon - stay tuned!

Ol Skool Rodz and Car Kulture Deluxe are sponsors

We hope that we can include YOU as someone that will come out and support the show... The Iron Invasion descends on Woodstock IL October 6, 2012. Rain or Shine

2. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

3. Little early to start advertising for 2012 isn't it?

4. krooser

krooser

No...

5. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

good one Krooser

I feel it is way too early to start.......
    but at the same time you have to tell people at the end of the show season (which is what we are about to head into) that there will be a new event next year....

6. Cub8556

Cub8556

Got really excited then i saw 2012 :/ oh well I can wait a year.

I really like the idea of the 'friends lot'. I got a pretty stock 56 buick that im just lowering a bit and not much else, so I dont bring it to "traditional" rods shows around here. I dont want to park it in the general parking area and have some dude hit it with his POS camry.

7. Weasel

Weasel

Seems like a smart move to me - plenty of time to generate interest and maybe to give guys who are in 'build phase' a deadline to shoot for. Sounds like it should be a fun event....

8. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool... I like the idea of a traditional show close to Chicago.

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

John and I had a good long chat on the phone the other day about this new show. I'm looking forward to the show and getting to relax a little on the 2nd Saturday of October of 2012. :D

10. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Woodstock is my old stompin grounds, with no other show that weekend I'll be there!

11. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Django - thanks for letting me talk your ear off - and know that your suggestions and support are APPRECIATED!!!
    There are many car clubs in the Chicagoland area and we sure hope that they will come out and support the event. With support from people like you - this will surely be a success.
    Thanks again and if anyone has questions......
    I will be at the Relix Riot this weekend - the Bombs Away Bash next weekend - Greaserama the weekend after that.....
    then I gotta work for Mecum for a couple of weeks - then THE PILE UP!!!!
    Gonna be the biggest party of all time..........get there early and stay late- it is gonna be a weekend to remember.

12. This sounds cool John. I will be sure to put this on my list of shows to go to next year. Torque fest is the first one of course.

13. von zipper

von zipper

Hey! That's my birthday! I better give myself the gift of a carshow!!

14. This is great news and not too early to inform people about it. The Woodstock fairgrounds are cool and should be a great venue. The Tin Butchers club is looking forward to running the swapmeet there. Spread the word on this new show.

15. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Weasel - we hope to REALLY light a fire under peoples butts with an upcoming announcement - we are in the planning stages right now - but let's just say that there will be a reason to get some new builds out to Iron Invasion......

16. I was told "It's not cool to advertise"!

17. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

guess it depends on who is doing it.....
    everyone knows I am a pimp. HA.
    IN FACT - one of the funnier quotes I had directed at me was at the Polar Bear Cruise sponsored by the Bare Bones CC.
    I was handing out the 4th revision of the art for Torque Fest and one of the guys says - no no I already got your card man - and I say - You dont have THIS one......he looks at it - he laughs (cause he did not have that card yet) and looks at me and say -
    Man....you are one pimpin' mother f$%*r - and we both just start laughin.......I saw him at the Bombs Away Bash - he still calls me pimp and we laugh - he is a friend.....and that is what this is all about.
    so
    yeah - it is not cool to advertise.
    Everyone knows I am out there- everyone knows I am hitting the shows every single week - 47 events last year.....
    people can dig that - and they know that our event is gonna help others.
    so they can get behind it.
    Just in case anyone was wondering.......
    we are officially a non profit 501 c 3- so if you need any tax deductions please let us know.
    Our purpose is to raise money to help OTHER families who have gone what we have and are going to have to go through. Specifically children with heart issues.

Details at:
    www.helpinghannahsheart.org

If you care to know about the details of our condition:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoplastic_left_heart_syndrome
    http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site481/mainpageS481P0.html

There are others on the HAMB that have it far worse than we do. We hope we can help these families.
    Support for this effort is needed by all in this hot rod community. If we all come together we can make a difference in the lives of others by helping them out with the financial burdens they have.....while we are at it - we will have a good time.

18. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe just maybe, I can try to have the Justabeater37 together enough to bring out. This going back to school thing with no income is gonna hurt though. I will be there in 2012 to support for sure though.

19. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

By 2012 the Cherrypickers CC will have increased there membership by 1.
    That's right a total of 3. Right now the VP is due in December.

Chicago In October..... It just might work. Volenteers?

Jeff & Terri, $$ CherryPickers CC $$

PS I just ordered some coloring books too, Completely forgot before now.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  20. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

Looks awesome, can't wait to check it out

21. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats to you and Mrs. Large Ruffian

22. Best of luck on your new event John. Hope I can make it there.

23. Tin Can

Tin Can

Sounds like a good start to a new show. and at a great location too

24. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Is this the old Pile-up grounds, i get lost anywhere west of Chi-town! LOL

25. Marcy

Marcy

Nope, same distance outside Chicago but a good bit North of Morris where the Pile-up was.
    Cool fairgrounds.

Marcy

26. Django

Django
    from Chicago

It's not terribly far from Pileup 1 and 2 though.

27. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Sounds like Salt Flat Matt may wanna be a part of the festivities in Woodstock IL Oct 6 2012! Glad to know you wanna come on down!

28. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Count me in John! I'll be there selling my artwork and making more new friends! Every event I attend I meet new people that are great! I also want to support a event that helps others out like Torque Fest. John is a great guy and I try to help out. He has great vision of what makes a good show! Come out and mark your calendars for next year and attend. It will be fun, I'm sure!!:)

29. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Count me in John! I'd like to have a vendor space! Looking forward to it, man!!!!

30. Speed~On

Speed~On

Sounds like this show is going to be a lot of fun. It's only an hour and a half from my house, too! Time to call the guys and plan our hot rod caravan to Woodstock. Since John Wells is in charge we know there will be lots to see and do! This show will be censory overload...you gotta love it!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012