Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **One Month, 5k Mile "Malcolm" Roadster Report**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Nick, my man, you are a hot rod legend in the making.....
    These are cars, not vehicles to just take to cruise-ins and other lame crap where everyone leans on their cars and just talks about driving them.
    You make us hot rodding veterans proud....

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. Great to see you on the salt Nick!

3. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I also switched from Firestone to Excelsiors....
    I have to agree with Malcom...the difference is HUGE!!!!!!!!
    I tried ALOT to balance the front Firestone tires.
    But there is no comparisson

5.00 and 7.50 on a `32 Roadster

They just don`t look as cool....
    I guess you can`t have it all.....

4. dad-bud

dad-bud

I really really like your car - it looks awesome - stance is perfect.
    Do you have any plans for a hood when you paint it?

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

6. LabRat

LabRat

Thanx for the reply , thats stout !
    Bit of stylin an you will see 13.0 easy ...
    Happy for you , could'nt happen to a nicer guy ...

7. Nick,

Great reporting on your trip...nothing like a trip to the salt in your hot rod. The car turned out great and your feedback on how the construction turned out is useful to all of us. I can just see the big grin on your face all the way out, and back.

Charlie

8. fatkoop

fatkoop

How can they sell a tire like that? Cuz most of us dumb-ass car guys are willing to pay whatever it takes to look-the-part, even when we know that good quality modern radials work WAY better! Sorry, bias ply fans, but there is a good reason for using radial tires, even if they aren't as "period" looking.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It was great to meet you, too!

Thanks alot, Doug -- means alot coming from you!

Great to see you, too, Trent -- wish we would've had more time to talk!

Yep, I'm planning on a full hood. The sides won't be too hard to make and I'll either try to make the top or see if I can get a one-piece top from Rootleib (sp?).

Now that it's all together and running, I should mock the stock hood up to see how it looks. (The stock '28/'29 hood is 4" too short)

First step is a posi and that should hopefully get the car into the 13s.
    Thanks to Tim McMaster (mctim64), I now have a Ford Trac Loc to swap in this winter!

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The tire that I had a problem with is an Excelsior Radial. Like I said, Coker stood behind their product and sent me a new one. I'll hopefully have time this afternoon to have the new tire mounted....

11. Glad you are getting some seat time, it really makes the build worth it.

Don't do like I did with my pickup and end up with 45k 10yr later still trying to find a good time to blow it apart for body work and paint.

12. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks for posting this.....even though I'm about a month late seeing it. Did the tires chase the road on the way to the salt? Also, do the "grab" pretty good when you have to stop suddenly?

Chris

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I really liked reading your road test / build update. Good idea. Nice ride, too!

RE the tire problem, I've only ordered one set from Coker. They had the rims I wanted so I had the wheels painted, mounted and balanced there. I think doing it that way drastically reduces the chances of any wheel or tire problems before I get them. I've had NO problems with them (radials) and they rarely need air.

I'm not in the tire business, but I know that every mfg has problems now and then that can't be detected in mfg, or that might have been caused during shipping (perhaps multiple times) or storage before being purchased and mounted. I've had two "bad" tires in my life, both bought from respectable, name brand stores and replacing them right after purchase was not a problem. Just a little hassle. It happens. Gary

14. sodas38

sodas38

How is the funky fork have you had any issues with that? Do you have any good pics of the finished set-up?

Roadster looks awesome.

15. I couldn't imagine if Tyler ever painted that truck!

Don't buy a hood from Rootlieb... just pull out the "Roach Rod " thread from SamIam and build your own.:cool:

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The tires did seem to 'chase' the road some (not nearly as bad as the bias plies), but I adjusted the toe-in to 1/8" (I still need to try 3/16") and it helped. The more I drive it, the more it seems like any amount of cross-wind is what pushes the car around alot. Nice, calm day = straight, effortless driving. Even passing a semi truck, with the wind pushing off the front/side of it, is a bitch.

Sudden stops aren't a problem at all. The tires grab just fine. They also provide pretty good traction when taking off quickly from a stop >> as in hammering on the car. It accelerates well :)

I ended up not using the 'funky fork'. Also don't have a panhard bar installed. So far, it drives good and doesn't seem like I need one.

Good call. Thanks for the Roach Rod reference. I did some searching and found the R&C article:

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/howto/135_0308_hood/viewall.html

17. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks, with the 'speed rating' on your rear tires.......I was sorta' wondering how they handled........not that I haven't driven over the speed limit on the way to the salt.........Looks like I will be saving some Christmas coin or asking Santa' for some tires this year........and saving money with my 'Alliance discount' of course.

Chris

18. Great Car! Thanks for the report. It was good to see you at Bonneville. Happy Motoring!

19. 18n57

18n57

Good to see you and the roadster on the salt. There have been a few chilly mornings here already...better get a hoodie for Nick!!

20. Elrod

Elrod

I agree with flt blk. Having fun with the car once its built. It's hard to blow em apart again and take away the fun. Hoping to do that with mine this winter. Great job!

21. sololobo

sololobo

Oh yeah, thats my brother from a different mother. I had the pleasure of a nice ride in the rod at the K.K.O.A. and it is smooth city. Congrats Nick on a real month of provin it rocks. ~sololobo~

22. Roupe

Roupe

Nice build, great looking roadster. Keep driving the hell out of it. Let us know how it rides after you soften up the rear.

23. Looks great Nick.....

24. Ya done good Nick!

Dennis

25. I remember someone stating that you were going to hate the Flowmaster hushpower mufflers in the positions you had them... any changes or pro/cons to them?

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That was Tman. I have no complaints about the hushpower sound/locations at all. They have a nice sound that isn't overbearing or too loud and don't have the typical Flowmaster sound (like the classic 40 series). Going down the road at 2000 rpm there isn't any drone and it's actually fairly quiet. The wind noise cancels out most exhaust noise.

27. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

First step is a posi and that should hopefully get the car into the 13s.
    Thanks to Tim McMaster (mctim64), I now have a Ford Trac Loc to swap in this winter![/QUOTE]

Do you have any wheel hop with quarter elliptic set up? Do you think you will when you add the posi? We are building a 28 sport coupe on deuce rails (The frame is from Gray at blackboard) with a roller 302, 5sp. The engine will be mostly stock to begin with but we may upgrade to a 347 in the future.

What did you do for an oil filter? I'f I missed that in the build thread I'm sorry.

Luke

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Luke,

Sounds like you'll have a very similar chassis and drivetrain!
    Since the oil filter interfered with the Vega steering box, I found a 90 degree adapter. Bought a used one on Ebay, but here's a link to a new one from Summit:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6880-a50/overview/make/ford

Because of the new filter location, I had to run an electric fuel pump. Not the end of the world, but I'd rather run a mechanical pump.

If you look closely, you can see it in this photo
    [​IMG]

I haven't had any wheel hop at all with the quarter-elliptic setup. When I drag raced it at the HAMB Drags, it felt very solid and smooth, so I don't anticipate and wheel hop issues when I switch to the Ford Trac-Loc.
    I'll admit, though, the tires I'm running don't get very good traction. At some point, I'd like to bolt on a set of cheater slicks and see how the car acts with some traction.