Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Barn find or Hoarding!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRUZN60, Sep 8, 2011.

1. zander208

zander208

Every car guy has a little hoarding in them...

2. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

3. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Good to see you today Red, that was quite a deal EH? All of that stuff had something wrong with it, there was nothing there that was really pristine at all. I don't think it's gonna bring as much money as originally thought.

B:)B

4. barney rubble

barney rubble

I would love to be able to just go to the sale. I enjoy just people watching and seeing what some will spend on junk.

5. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK,,,,,,,,,,,,, having no job and no money took care of that

6. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Made it there today too. Most of the cars and older bikes are in pretty rough shape. Complete and original, but pretty rough. Some of the parts are nice, but not really anything you can't find any day of the week. Considering the interest this is getting, prices will probably get to the stupid level. Still debating whether it's worth time and effort.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh yeah, the "Good of the collective". (meaning all the good folks) The one that collected the stuff is the 'individual', so he should 'share'. (because he has 'more')

Get a grip. HE collected it, it's his. You that think the 'collective' have right to it are communists. You get a Red Star.

8. MODELA30

MODELA30

WELL I WENT OVER THERE TODAY I HAVE TO SAY IT LOOKS WELL ORGINIZED. LOTS OF STUFF. ALL THE LOTS ARE ALL NICELY NUMBERED PARKED 4 MILES AWAY AND THEY SHUTTLED US IN. THEY DID A GOOD JOB AS FOR THE GOODIES THE BIKES ARE IN BARN FIND SHAPE SORT A SPEAK, VERY WORKABLE BIKES BUT I THINK I WOULD LEAVE THEM ALONE MYSELF. THE CARS ARE OK BUT NOTHING REALLY NICE THE ONLY CARS THAT ARE IN GREAT SHAPE ARE THE 40 FORD CONVERTABLE SOLID CAR MUST HAVE BEEN INSIDE ALL ITS LIFE A PAINTED BLUE WITH HOUSE PAINT BRUSHED ON IS THE 28-29 FORD COUPE, AND THE 34 FORD CABROILET. THERE IS A BLUE 35 FORD 5 WINDOW THAT NOT TO BAD OF SHAPE BUT I COULD NOT SEE UNDER IT THERE WAS MUD ALL AROUND THAT CAR. I WENT THERE WITH A LIST OF PARTS TO TAKE A LOOK AT BEFORE BIDDING AND WELL NONE OF IT WAS REALLY GRABBING ME. I DID NOT REALLY CARE FOR THE TAX STUFF THAT WAS BUT ON THE TABLE AND THE 15% OF THE SELLING PRICE. THAT DID NOT DETOUR ME FROM THE REGISTRATION JUST THE QUALITY OF THE PARTS THAT ARE THERE NOT THE GREATEST SO IF YOU TAKE THAT IN CONSIDERATION WITH 300 OTHER GUYS BIDDING ON THE SAME PARTS THE PRICES BALANCING WITH THE QUALITY WELL IT JUST WAS NOT THERE. I HOPE I DID NOT LOSE ANY ONE WITH MY POINT OF VIEW I JUST THINK THE SWAP MEETS ARE MY FORTE. Knuck From Indiana.

9. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

MODELA30....I was there today and you must have pretty high standards to say the quality of the parts was not what you wanted.....tons of vintage flathead speed equipment,and large amounts of NOS Ford parts from the 1930`s/1940`s including many fenders and much,much,much more. Guess you missed the 2-dozen project-worthy Model A`s,the (2) bone-stock `32 sedans that were actually pretty solid....and the chopped and channelled `36 Cabriolet.

10. MODELA30

MODELA30

WELL FOMOCOPOWER I GUESS I DID LOSE YOU WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT FOR THE PARTS OR CARS TO FETCH THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT I THINK THERE GOING TO GET FOR THEM THOSE PARTS BETTER BE A NUMBER ONE CONDITION. THE SPEED PARTS I SAW NEEDED WORK BROKEN EARS GAWGES ON GASKET SURFACES JUST NOT TO INPRESSIVE OTHER THAN THEY ARE RARE. THE CARS HAD WATER AND MILDEW DAMAGE SOME HAD WATER MARKS ON THE TIRES LIKE THAT PLACE WAS FLOODED AT ONE TIME OR OTHER. AND THAT 36 CABRIOLET WAS ONCE A COUPE THAT THE ROOF WAS HACKED OFF ABOUT THE ONLY THING GOOD ON THAT CAR WAS THE DOORS. EVEN THE PILLARS WHERE CUT WITH WHAT LOOKED LIKE A HACK SAW BLADE JUST NOT IMPRESSED. Knuck From Indiana.

11. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Not sure how close you looked but the rockers on one of the deuces were almost competely gone. Most of the cars, or at least the Fords, had body damage, rot/rust, missing parts, or some type of problem. Sure, they're good hot rod stock, but probably not worth anywhere near what they're going to sell for. The last Model A coupe I sold went for $8k and it was a complete original car that was nicer than any of the cars up for auction. So it'll be interesting to see where these end up. As for speed equipment, I didn't see a whole lot. Couple of Frontenac conversions, some Edelbrock heads, an Olds intake, etc. But not really anything special.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  12. dawford

dawford

I for one am glad that he saved all of those cars and other items over the years.

Most of that collection probably would have ended up either dispersed or forgotten and rusted away in some old fallen down barn or worse yet sent to the crusher.

He did everyone a favor by preserving it in one place where collectors from all over can find the items or vehicles that they thought were gone forever.

For a long time I belonged to several Old Farm Engine and Tractor clubs and remember reading about how some of them hated to see someone breaking down a complete or nearly complete engine or tractor to sell for parts.

The 20 or more parts that were sold to collectors ended up bringing many incomplete or broken engines to life.

I am too old and too far away to ever acquire or even see any of these items or vehicles but my grandchildren may some time in the future enjoy seeing some of the things after they have been restored by the thousands of people who will ultimately end up with them.

I have personally bought things at garage sales that I well never use knowing that they would probably not be sold and would end up going to the dump.

I try to find those who can use the items but even If I do not find someone I figure that my children will have an estate sale and someone else might become their conservator.

Conservator is a word that might better describes Lee than collector and it is certainly a better word than hoarder.

I tell people that I read the obituaries to see if I am in there. If I see my name I want to go to my estate sale. :D :D :D

Dick :) :) :)

13. MODELA30

MODELA30

THANK YOU HEMI I DO AGREE WITH YOU THERE, JUST NOT IMPRESSED. Knuck From Indiana.

14. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

So how about an biography of this guy.

15. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I don't doubt that most of these are not in pristine condition and weren't when put there, but everyone would be slobbering all over their keyboards if each of these were found individually. Yes, auctions do get the excitement up and often puff up the prices also, but many of the crowd that you saw may be there to just see the action, not bidding. I would keep my eyes open and see what things do go for.....there is a lot of stuff there, maybe some people will drive up the really desireable stuff, then the high rollers will have blown their wads and leave the rest of the stuff for us common folk.....

16. Plowboy

Plowboy

How about some pics from the sale? I would like to try and make it tomorrow just to see the bikes but I don't think I can make it on Saturday....

17. barney rubble

barney rubble

Did anybody go to the sale today? If so how about a report?

18. mike hamel

mike hamel

I watched it online today! Wow the prices were high! Some of the most expensive sales of porcelain advertisement iv ever seen. Other parts went for a lot of money too, I saw some magneto switches sell for over $5,000. It looked to be a bidding war between two people.

19. barney rubble

barney rubble

Where do you watch it at? Do you have a link?

20. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

21. Plowboy

Plowboy

Do you have to be registered to bid to watch the auction online?

22. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Did you happen to catch how much the little Thunderbird and the extra body went for?
    [​IMG]
    They had it identified as a 58 pedal car but it is a 59 1/4 scale electric powered Thunderbird Junior from the Powercar company of Mystic CT
    The 57 Body beside it is a 3/8 scale version from the same company. I own the factory mold that made that car and make parts for both of them so I hope to find out where they went to eventually. Just curios now how much they went for. Thanks!

Attached Files:

23. badbird

badbird

What did it take to see it online
    did you have to register

24. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I believe you have to register to see it online. Cost is $100. If you want to bid, the buyer's premium is 15%, plus an additional 9.25% sales tax on everything except the cars.

25. $125
    tk

26. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

First let me correct my earlier mistake I typed 59 when it is obviously a 1960
    Someone stole that one!
    [​IMG]

http://www.jrcentral.com/thunderbird.html
    It's an original dealer promotional made in 1960, the bare 57 body alone was worth more than that.

27. mike hamel

mike hamel

Wow!!! This guy could of retired by just selling his license plates! The Arizona collection just went for $26,000! haha insane. They have sold easily over $100,000 worth of license plates and they aren't even half way done.

28. Plowboy

Plowboy

I don't think it costs anything to bid online, but I didn't see where they had any of the motorcycles listed for the online sale, only the lots of plates for today.

29. mike hamel

mike hamel

No, the motorcycles are up for auction today, same with the bikes!