Register now to get rid of these ads!

Balancing Act

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sxdxmike

sxdxmike

i was looking forward to your write up about this product. Now i have something to try...

2. choprodinc

choprodinc

do you have to take all the weights off of the tires or can they be left on?

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

exactly...

you can leave them on...

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can leave the weights on, or take them all off. I run 36 x 12.50 - 15 bias-plies on my DD, of a variety known to be difficult to balance, with no weights whatsoever. Smooth to 85 MPH (which is as fast as it goes).

5. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by choprodinc [​IMG]
    do you have to take all the weights off of the tires or can they be left on?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    you can leave them on...

the chart says my tires need 4 oz. if i leave the weights on do i still use 4oz.? <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

6. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

I think I am going to give this product a try. I have been trying to get a wobble out of my tires forever. They do it at 35-40. Maybe this will finally fix it.

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Glad it worked. I don't have that problem on my 3/4 ton. Can't get going fast enough to have the problem in the first place I imagine. Either that, or the tire shop actually knew how to mount the big old truck bias tube tires on beat up old split rims ok. They did beat the crap out of the wheels a bit more for me just for good measure, but thankfully they don't have any balancing issues. I've had them on for 8 years now and never even so much as had to put air in any of them. Some kind of miracle tires.

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I remember those balancing rings from Whitney, never used them but I guess they worked. they were hard plastic tubes about 14" dia. about 1" thick with BBs inside.

Ago
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. Having worked at a tire shop for a few years, that was mostly a truck tire shop, I've seen many truck tire balancing problems resolved, using the same product as you did Ryan. Yes, the theory is pretty much the same as a Fluid Dampner on a crankshsft.

10. seatex

seatex

I was wondering if you hsd seen this, Robin. Give it a shot..............
    Gee, I wonder if they would have kept me from hitting the curb during my donut this weekend?:mad:

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Bitchin, something else to buy for all the cars!
    Can you run them in tubes that have slime sealer?

Can't help wonder if they're legal in racing? Racers are always looking for a "free edge". Wonder if a crap load of them would help balance out a rear sprint Car tire thrown off balance by mud, or an asphalt tire that had a flat spot from a slide?

12. Kid poo............ I remember those days. Don't miss em!

13. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

How would Coker tire feel about these in tires that have a road hazard warranty?

14. I wonder how the DynaBeads compare to shotgun pellets?

15. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I read that the dyna beads are ceramic and wont rust or corrode.

I just ordered some for my '35 straight wires with Cokers that shake like a bitch above 60mph.

Hoping they'll make a difference..

16. Big rigs use beads or shot bags in their tires. No issues. Ask a trucker they always have opinions

17. told you so... :)

18. no55mad

no55mad

The bigger the tire the more beads needed. I've heard that golf balls have been used in big 4 x 4 tires.

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yup! But what a pain in the butt to get thru the valve stem! :eek:

I'm gonna try the Air-soft pellets in my OT rig. I'll break down one side of the tubeless tires.

20. big creep

big creep

we would use prepackaged sandbags from the local 4x4 store. i had 44 inch tires, they would put about 4 small bags in and they would open on their own. it worked great!

21. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Done more than my share of semi tires over the years, some truckers use golf balls in big rig tires, they also use a granular product called Equal that is supposed to balance tires. The equal can make flat repairs more difficult and I've seen it cause flat tires if grit finds its way into the valve core when checking tire pressures.

Personally I like dynamic balancing on the vehicle because it will compensate for unbalanced hubs, drums, etc...

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

What if you put the "kid poo" in the tire? :rolleyes:

23. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

^^^ My thinking exactly!........ Easy sealing on valve stim if placed properly! :)........

24. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I had a Paystar 5000 truck with big floatation tires on it that would rattle your teeth. The local truck tire guy used some type of shit in them and the vibration/shake went away right now! Must have been something similar

25. Labold

Labold

I have never even heard of doing this but have a vibration at about 50 I would like to get rid of.
    Shit, if all the cool guys are doing it, I might as well do it too.

26. I've got some of those stashed away in the shop rafters.

27. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I bought some Dyna Beads and installed them in my 235X15s on my '51 Chevy pickup. Didn't change a thing below 35, but that's the way they work... The tire isn't rotating fast enough to allow them to be effective. No big deal to me.... Above that speed they work great.

I'm gonna try them in the bias ply's on my model A.

28. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Thanks Ryan. I had 1934 Ford Coupe w/ byply tires on 35 rims between 50 and 60 had bad frontend in vibration. I read your post on beads. I put about 5oz in both front tires and took the car down the road the vibration in gone between 50 and 60. There is small vibration at 65. I plan on put some in the rear tires and 2oz in the front tires in the future The biggest proble is getting all those bead throught valve stem. Thanks again this post save me time and money.

29. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Its like putting bags of calcium in big truck tires or tractor tires...they naturally find the spot on the tire that needs balancing by centrifugal motion it well throw them to the unbalanced side of the tire

30. knuckhed55

knuckhed55
    from montgomery

Was wondering if anyone has done this with WIDE FIVE wheels / drums, this is where i dont know where to start, its hard to find an old shop that can still balance rims/tires/drums together, I love those WIDE FIVES but they sure are high maintenance... Please help... Thanks