Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Hitchhikers Guide:The Hot Rod Ford Model A or AV8 Coupe. Post war 40's build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Updates on the last page.

I am back on this one....So follow along, 'cuz I got a story to tell. My other thread was getting a little long in the tooth....So I started another one.:D

Earlier this year I bought a Ford Model A coupe body and some other parts. You can read about that here. I really had no idea what I was getting into :rolleyes: and knowing what I now know I would have bought a more complete car. What I had envisioned would basically be best built by taking a 100 point show car and hot rodding it. :eek:

So I've changed my plans. ;)

Here is what I started with. It's a late 31 Coupe. It's top has been whacked about 3 inches and isn't attached...plus it needs lot's of metal work....perfect.:rolleyes:

I paid $1000 bucks for it and I think I got a fair deal. It sat outside a body shop in Olympia for about 20 years. The shop owner was the one that chopped it's top in the 80's, then let it sit till I rescued it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It came with some extra parts like extra visors and drilled front axle and bones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I was part of the "cool kids club":cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. So a few weeks after I got the body I found a 1931 model A frame. It's really clean, no broken frame horns or and major pitting, it's just dirty. I paid $200.

[​IMG]

I also got 5 of these 35 v8 wires and tires for 175 from a cool old guy out on the Olympic Peninsula named Roger. He's got a really nice stock 30 roadster and a 31 pickup with a B motor.

[​IMG]

A few weeks later a friend dropped this 41 flathead off in the garage...

[​IMG]

It's seized, but hopefully we can save it.:eek: I may be looking for a known good runner....

so far I have about $1375.00 in it.

3. And my next find was all this stuff From Hamber Couverkid who answered my wanted ad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In that pile are some pedals, round back spindles, 40 juice brakes front and rear, 40 banjo rear and bones, 36 rear bones, 36 front bones, and 36 front axle.I think I paid $600 for all those.

I also got these Guide sealed beam conversion headlights for $80 bucks on ebay...score!:D So that put's me at $2060.00

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  4. I also scored this F-1 frame for free on craigslist...

[​IMG]

all for this

[​IMG]

And Hamber NoSurf sent me these to help fix my chop.thanks again dude!

[​IMG]

as you can see it's kinda curled out at the bottom.

[​IMG]

I have more pictures to post but can't get to it all now.

5. more of thee crappy chop

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  6. I also saved some Flathead parts from the scrapper.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

came with an aaoooga horn....hope it works!

[​IMG]

7. Back in May I heard about a model A sale in Spokane, basically it was a guys life collection that the family was liquidating. I was told it was 3 Large barns FULL... I actually tried to buy the whole thing....but the hired prick that was working the deals for the family thought it was a ridiculous idea and blew me off. Probably saw any money that he would make on the deal diminishing...I showed up anyways and bought some stuff. After looking at it all it wasn't worth his asking price anyways. Those 3 Barns were more like a 4 car garage and two small out buildings. though I would have like to have the bodies, it was mostly small box stuff.

Anyways I bought a really nice windshield and frame, a rear spring, another wheel, 50 pontiac tailight, and a NIB repro subframe kit. All for $175.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no pictures of the subframe or tailights

8. Nice start! Damn! I don't seem to ever have stuff like that fall in my lap...:(
    I want to follow this thread and see how it comes out. Keep 'em comin'.

9. I also won a front A spring on Ebay. The seller felt it wasn't nice enough and refunded my money.:D

[​IMG]

I'll have to go dig up some more pictures on another computer...I'll be back.:cool:

10. NoSurf

NoSurf

Where have I heard that before? LOL!

Glad I could help.

Look's good so far man. You got some good parts there to build yourself a hotrod.

11. Here is the first mock up.

[​IMG]

12. Probably from everyone....:rolleyes:

thanks!

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good parts.. Good start.. Keep going and keep us updated......

14. Looks like its gonna be neat, good luck.

15. So the picture above is current as of today. at this point I am going to get the chassis rolling and then build the body back from there. I'm debating about reversing my spring eyes front and rear.....the only thing holding me up is a set of OG 32-34 spring perches....I'm probably going to end up the P&J's. If I don't find a set to purchase by this weekend.I'll order them up.

16. Run A perch pins. They are everywere and cheap. Plus then you can run A shackles. If you run 32-up shackles and an A spring you will have to run A shackels but will have to make a thick bushing for the perch pin as they ID of the perch pin hole is quite a bit bigger.

17. Thanks Chris. That's the stuff I need to know.

18. Stupid newb question......Do I need a spring spreader for the front spring too?

19. You shouldn't. Easy way to put a spring on the shackles without a spreader:

Put just the main leaf on the rear shackles. You should be able to do this by hand. Get a piece of all thread and use it to line up the center hole on the leafs as you stack them in order on top of the main leaf. Use C clamps to compress all the leafs. Remove the all thread and put your center perch bolt in and your done.

20. Just looked up A perches on ebay...I wished I'd known I needed those instead of 32-34 months ago.....:rolleyes: This thing would be a roller already. :cool:

21. awesome, thanks again. You are the Jedi master of early fords.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad you are back on this project. Nice that is attracting NoSurf, Mel, and Chris, guys with good cars and advice. I'm slowly getting my '30 Roadster body together and should have some tips on the subframe to body part of your build. Thanks for all the photos. Bob

23. 510madmav

510madmav

i thought you were trying to sell this coupe? glad you stuck with it.

24. Also, what wishbone are you running up front? Fords are weird, 1932-1936 the axle boss was 2" tall were the wishbone mounts. Model A, then 1937-up was 2 1/4". So if your running a 32-6 axle but A or 37-wishbones there will be a 1/4" or so gap. You can head and bend the wishbone to match axle or simply make a spacer to go between wishbone and axle.

25. Thanks, I'm looking foward to seeing your build too.

I was.....but then I fell and hit my head...:rolleyes:

I've got 36 bones that I am going to modify like this. scroll to post #4.

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Nice start you got there! Now get to work!:cool:

27. ravedodger

ravedodger

Nice. I'm looking forward to more progress posts. We've got almost the same pile o' parts, except I'm still missing the body.

28. So as the body sits right now I basically have three main pieces. The body was never braced during the chop. Personally if I had been the one to cut the roof off I would have fixed the body first. So I have three main pieces. The roof. The a pillars, windshield frame and passenger door top. and the main body. Basically the subframe on the passenger side is gone....so obviously I can't trust that the body is square and also obvious is the need to attach the top.:eek: How do you think I should go about repairing the body? Here is what I was thinking.

1) tie the quarter panels together so they stay in shape and remove them from the sub-frame
    2) repair subframe.
    3) reattach a pillars
    4) reattach quarters

My questions are.

Should I reattach the roof after the lower quarters are back on the solid subframe?

Or

Should I take it all the way apart and fix the quarters off the car? Then build from the cowl back?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Way to go Hitchhiker!! I for one am proud of you. There you are, taking on a job that I would have liked to try myself. Building your own hot rod.

Looking forward to seeing the progress pictures.
    Michelle

30. NoSurf

NoSurf

Get a couple sheets of 4x8 plywood. Find someone with a good model A body that is off the frame. Take the model A body and set it down on one whole sheet of plywood- it will just fit. Take a sharpie(tm) magic marker and scribe all around the subframe and body inside and out. then take another sheet and cut in pieces so you can hold it up to the A pillar of the whole coupe (doors off) and scribe inside and out, same on the B pillar. take the sheets home and build the subrails/subframe. Then attach the cowl and the rest of the body pieces using the other plywood pieces.

Or you could drive to Kansas and borrow my pieces of plywood that I used from GeneralGow's coupe to build mine. I think Nate has a piece so you will have to swing by his place and get that one too.