Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brooklyn, NY Infamous Street Racers Back in the Day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Jul 19, 2008.

1. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

2. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Them guys had it going on!! I've seen some stuff on here about NYC street racing but never any pics of the guys that made it happen. I've had some fun down there but I wish I could of seen this stuff going on. please post some more

3. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

4. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

very cool topic

5. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

Someone should make a movie about this.

I would spend 12 dollars to see this, or whatever movie prices are.

6. c57heaven

c57heaven

Seymour Balz; now there is a name...

7. Zerk

Zerk

8. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

He works at South Street Shop in NJ

9. wow , cool pics and history!!

10. I got a call one morning from a guy who identified himself as "Brooklyn Heavy"...wanted some fiberglass parts for a Mustang II. I told him the cars weren't even at the dealers yet...he said..NO PROBLEM. Next morning he was at my shop with every part you could unbolt. Hood, fenders, grill, bumpers, hatch.
    Couple weeks later we finished the molds, made the parts and "Heavy" sent one of his homies to pick them up. Didn't want the steel parts back.

tommyd, WC145 and gary terhaar like this.
  11. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Amazing. Thanks for scanning and posting.

Cris

12. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

[​IMG]

UNCLECHET likes this.
  13. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Those are some Jive Ass Turkeys...

14. monsterflake

monsterflake

15. Those were definately the days! Nitro, refresh our memories in what magazine was that article from?

Great post...

Joel

16. jonnycola

jonnycola

Thats fucking awesome....

And that last picture.... the guy is a dead ringer for Willis from Diff'rent Strokes.

17. 1929rats

1929rats

If I remember correctly....there was an article in Hemmings Muscle machines about street racing in the 70's in NY as well....maybe a year or 2 ago.....when I get home, I'll try and find it and scan it for everyones enjoyment....great post

18. Al - Thanks for posting these. This is some amazing stuff. Love reading about the east coast scene.

— MRAK

19. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

The Connecting Highway was so famous we'de have guys coming up to our track -Dover Drag Strip just to get a real time slip to fine tune 'em .Many a time the guys would slip me a $20. as to not announce their time ! This was the days before finish line scoreboards .Only the driver who got a hand written time slip and me announcing in the tower knew what they just turned. No computer files saved ...reset the clocks and it's gone. And get this ...they even Copied our class winners decals and had "CONNECTING HIGHWAY Class winner" printed on them . Stories like : their trailer was parked at the end of an offramp. Make a run , shoot down the ramp right into the waitiing trailer ,slam the door or yank the ramps and haul ass .

WC145 likes this.
  20. novadude

novadude

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  21. Yep the Connecting Highway was one of the Greatest places to be on a Saturday Night! <br> but the Real Fast Cars raced at upper Laurel Hill Highway and the off ramps were ware the Trucks were Parked <br> also the Money Runs were in front of Shea Stadium they would Block the Whole Highway and Race had the 1/4 mile all marked off

22. That's when I had my Shop in Astoria, Queens NY back in the 60-70's

23. sololobo

sololobo

What a cool post!! So cool to see all brother and sisters black/white digging on a common interest with no B.S.!! Rock On!!--Sololobo

Deuces likes this.
  24. That's Experience talking! <br> also there was a Car from South-Ozone Park, Queens called the "American" <br> Hemi-cuda 10 or 20&#37; engine setback 9 second Car ran for Money on the Streets <br> I know because I used to sell him Speed Parts <br>

25. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Some pretty famous drivers started out on the streets.I can remember growing up in Memphis,Tn. seeing "Mr 4 Speed";Herb McCandless driving a 348/280 chevy.Terry Vance of Vanc eand Hines use to drag on the streets in Fla. during the motorcycle races.
    There use to be a circuit that motorcycle drag racers did and part of it was the Bronx. Lots of stretch vans sitting outside of a bar.Suddenly, a crowd would go outside,doors came open and wheelie bars were seen to emerge from the rear.Bets were made and streets blocked off.Two blocks was a quarter mile.Two cars at end and they flashed their lights for the "winner's lane".Cops were prety cool about it:cool:.Not like there were were a whole lot of neighbors around the Bronx anyway.

26. Hemmings muscle news had some issues covering this but your pics are way-mo-better>>>>.

27. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Our solution to the fast and the furious.

damn awsome.