Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spotlights? Why exactly do we run 'em?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

That's fantastic! I need to remember that one... :D

2. I guess I'm in the don't really get it brigade on Appletons....they're kinda clunky in my opinion and yes, they detract from the smooth lines of some otherwise cool customs.....if I wanted spots..(and owned a worthy car)..I would rather fit some of those 'ol school yellow spots that sit on the bumper...at least they are functional in a fog and don't mess with the clean lines of an otherwise smooth custom.
    I never got how they moved from cop cars to customs??

3. I was thinking the exact same thing Paul:cool:.

4. On some cars they make the car and on others they do not. It really depends on the car. Think of Paul's panel for instance, (Paul post us a pic of the panel for those who don't know it please), spots don't do a thing to hurt the lines of the old truck. Now if the truck was a 64 Impala instead of an old Ford panel they would look lame as hell.

One of the things that should be remembered when thinking old customs is that in the later '30s customs were cars built from cheaper models to mimic expensive cars. That was kind of the mentality of customs in the beginning. They would take an old ford of merc and throw the hottest engine that they could find it because high end cars more often than not were real runners compared to the lowly Ford. They would alter the grill with either a grill from a high end car or one that resembled a high end car, they would extend the fenders etc. The whole idea was to get the high end look on a blue collar budget.

Lots of high end cars came equipped with spot lights as well as running lights. So in the theme of making my car look and run like a Packard or the like I am going to hang a spot on it.

Later on some of the things just carried over, spots, fender skirts etc.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  5. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

I like clean and simple,spots aren't either. Destroys the lines of the car.

6. Krip, you gotta be kidding..?

7. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

I installed bulbs and wired them to an underdash toggle switch so they glow softly at night like the pontiac indian heads (1949-55) used to do, but I like spots on late 50s early 60s cars

Attached Files:

8. Hey Beaner, ok, from that perspective, I see the point. Given the era, attaching upmarket add ons to enhance the status....makes sense.
    I personally wouldn't do it today but I sure couldn't knock anyone who wished to.........It's like your personal jewelery ....nobody elses bidness.:p

9. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

They look like tits and you control them with your hand by moving around a dick-shaped handle. Why are they so popular? Duh.

And like tits, real ones make more sense, but depending on the shape, fake ones are nice to look at too.

In PA, real spots are not "legal" whatever that means. Probably explains the dummies here, inspection regulations and all.Not sure about other areas. If they are real and period, keep em, if not lose em.

10. I didn't know that anyone knew about my piercing. :D:D:D

Actually stripping everything away that breaks up the lines of the car is kind of a modern concept. I like the concept but I am a rodder at heart and am deep into stripping everything away that doesn't need to be there.

Its a pretty funny thing for 40 years give or take I have been trying to strip all the trim off of my cars and the missus has been trying to put it all back on.

But back on topic look at the hirohata merc. When you get right down to it that piece of Buick trim ( its Buick right?) on the side is really an ad on goo gaw. Most modern mercs don't have it and it is not impossible to find, but the modern concept is to remove it. Never the less it makes the merc.

Personally I like dagmars, because I like rockets. :D

11. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I put dummy spots on my wife's 51 shoebox for two reasons. One is I like them and two because real spots are illegal in the state of mo. I had real spots on a 51 ford pickup and was stopped by a trooper that theatened to kick them off my truck. I like the dummys because they are legal and I like the looks. that's my story and I'm sticken' to it.

12. You got stroked by a trooper, spots are not illegal in Missouri.

13. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

One spot light isn't but two hooked up are illegal in the state if you get an asshole for a trooper. I was working as a mechanic at the time I got stopped.

14. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I meant to say I was working as a mechanic for the MISSOURI STATE HIGHWAY PATROL when I got stopped.

15. They can say that anything is illegal when they have you on the side of the road. It is a different story in court.

You should have known that he was stroking you when he was going to remove them. If he was going to do anything at all he could have had your car impounded, that is all he can legally do. No one can do anything until you have had your day in court.

Have you actually gone back and checked the MoDot vehicle equipment regulations? You are going to have to name the statue, you won't find it trust me.

Oh not trying to belittle you, I have been through the 2 spotlights deal and gone to court on it.

16. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I got tired being picked on on their little shit. I've been stoped twice for having blue dots on my cars. everybody else has them but I keep getting stopped fo it. Now I don't have blue dots and have fake spotlights so I can say #&$%&*%&* you blue coats.

17. Skirv

Skirv

My goodness...is this a traditional hot rod and custom site or not? Take a look at the customs in the photo below. Too bad every one of these cars had their lines messed up by spotlights.

[​IMG]

18. With all the other curvaceous chrome and beautiful teardrop shape of her eyes(headlights) I think a perfectly proportioned set of bolt-on "boobies" would make your lady perfect.

19. Sometimes they get it out for you. Usually it has to do with one of two things, you are either not from the right side of the tracks or you have screwed something up at some point.

They'll nit pic the hell out of you if you let them.

20. Oh sh*t, I have dummy spots, fake side pipes and repro lancers, I should have asked you what I should and should not do to my car first and saved all this bother and schlock rod embarrassment :(.

Attached Files:

21. I don't know that your lakes pipes are dummies unless they are plastic or something. I don't believe I ever saw any hooked up until I came to the HAMB. They are for looks, I suppose spots are mostly for looks as well.

I like my stuff to be functional but if you build by my standards you'll end up being an outcast. I kind of like being an outcast but most people don't like it.

22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That pretty much ends the discussion as far as I'm concerned.

23. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

One is good, two is better!

They came with the trucks and I don't know how to fill in the holes.

Attached Files:

24. Other than thw why which was the original question. Maybe that was already answered.

25. Thank you very much !!!! I have posted this pic before on a similar thread.I was wondering how long it was going to take for this picture to put a END to this discussion.

26. I think we have established that they should be on a traditional custom and that they were added because they were a accessory on high end cars customs were trying to emulate but does anyone know why Appletons (112's to begin with) were chosen? Were they the ones coming on the high end cars so it was just a natural progression.

27. The Appleton's were pleasant to look at.

28. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Skirv knocks it clean out of the ballpark! Traditional custom car 101 right there in one picture.

Paul

29. flamingokid

flamingokid

On one hand,it's your car.On the other hand,I'd listen to Mr. Tardel.It's kinda like letting Einstein do your algebra assignment.Ya' can't lose.

30. Deuces

Deuces

They come in handy when your a pizza delivery guy...:D

That's it!.. Now I'm hungry..:(