Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical **Tech: Build your own 32 frame rails**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flthd31, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Dznuts

Dznuts
    from ATL jo ja

well in case you didnt get the hint from the last 1000 replies......... great work man! you put more work into your rails than most of us put into our entire cars!!! amazing tech article man.... ill be looking for more from you so please keep em coming! my moto in life has always been spend more time than money and you have nailed that one!

2. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

Verrrrrrry impressive work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Oh. I was stunned at your metal wizardry. Amazing. :eek:
    Better than sex.:eek::D

4. bct

bct

any updates? on the coupe?

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I almost forgot about this thread. Totally a superhero in my book! Bravo!!

6. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

7. From one "Canoe Guy" to another... WHOLLY CRAP MAN... you built a flippin' Deuce frame at home... in your garage... how totally cool is that!!!!! I don't have the time or space in my garage right now to try this and I'm buying some pre-fabbed 32 rails for my "A" soon... but wowsers... what a great and well deserved Tech-Week buffet you served up. Incredible! Congratulations!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's my design... stage I testing is completed... stage II tweaks and refinements and one more prototype over the winter and we should be ready to go into production by late spring. This one is for whitewater of course... fast water, steep gradient and big drops feed my soul. :)

8. flthd31

flthd31

I was searching the forum for info (like I do every night) and this thread happened to come up. I noticed that it had been resurrected a week ago and I missed it. So here are a couple of pics of where I’m at now.

coupe201.jpg

This is my winter project so progress seems slow, but I did get all the body work done which seemed endless. The drivers side in the pic was put together from pieces of 6 different cars plus the patch panels. Plus all the door hinges had to drilled out, removed, and repaired and reinstalled. The top was chopped 4 inched. The cowl was channeled about 1 ½ inches in front so I tapered the bottom cowl patch up on the front to compliment the reveal line in the frame. The rear wheel wells bottoms were contoured for axle and spring clearance.
    I’m bucking the HAMB trend and installing cross steer. It’s gonna be tight but the 59AB Flatty should fit with the stock heads as planned. The mount had to be embedded in the frame rail to get engine head clearance. The box is a 40 with a 35-36 column tube and wheel. I also went with the 35-36 dash and mounted it at a slight angle so it penetrates the cab space a bit. Original gauges will go back in.

coupe202.jpg

Tranny will be a T-5 on a hogs head mated to a Dwight Bond adapter.
    Rear will be a 40 on a model T spring with a NOS Halibrand Quickie I have squirreled away.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  9. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

grate work,this is the tread I was looking for about a week ago. Thanks for the re post

10. tinmann

tinmann

Phew!!! ...... I'm spent!!! Somehow I missed this thread the first time around. Let me echo the sentiments already made fairly clear..... you've done awesome quality work with limited tools.

11. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Ya know what? I can dig it!

12. Glad this came back.

13. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Love your chassis Build!

Dont like where your cross steer is going..the box is about 8 inches too far back on the rail..the draglink and tierod should be parallel to each other. with it the way you currently have it, you will get differing steering ratios right to left, and a very indirect, vague feeling off centre. Ive driven a car with this same geometry problem, it aint nice. yes you will have to lengthen the column, or grow your arms :) but it is pretty important to get steering right. Good Luck!

14. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I don't agree, you know what your doing and doing a great job of it. Keep it up ! And to address that post by Kirk, I too would like to think I could build a frame this nice but had rather buy one. I can do neither. :rolleyes:

15. flthd31

flthd31

I share your concern on the angle of the draglink. There’s not much info available on putting cross steering in a deuce frame using a stock column without u-joints. Your mock-up thread was about all I found. Here’s the link for those who missed it:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311634
    Here is a pic of your finished chassis also for those who missed it.
    40steer1.jpg

Although the geometry is perfect, to me, that super long column just looks awkward. Lengthening the column most likely was not done back in the day. Also, you’ve had to cut more than half way thru the frame to locate it up there. That seems rather drastic especially so close to an engine mount.
    My way of thinking was to try it where I have it. I’ve saved the piece I cut from the frame rail. If the car handles unruly, I can weld the piece back in right over the mount. It’s recessed enough to do this without removing it. I’ll just cut the ear off that protrudes above the frame. Then I’ll go with side steer.
    By the way, your car is fantastic. Love those engine mounts.

</o>

16. JasonK

JasonK

wow, great work.

17. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I love this thread

18. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Thanks FLTHD31 ,
    yeh I know what you mean about the extended column being a touch beyond what would have been done in the day.. but it actually doesnt look as wierd as it may in photos, and the other advantage is you get a much more upright steering wheel due to the shallower angle of the column, which i like.
    the Frame is only compromised on one face, the bottom is intact, and the 10mm plate more than makes up for strength of the lost cross section.
    Look , you my find it steers just fine like you have it..(i hope it does!) but if you do get wierd steering at least you know where to look..

Your 31 has awesome proportions from the photos..its gonna be a mean ass hotrod!

19. vendetta

vendetta

time to push this back to the top for anyone that hasn't seen this awesome work and any updates on the build?any body on that chassis yet?

20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i think this was one of my all time favorite threads for something being hand built

21. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

X2

He did a great job. That's why he won. :D

22. patman

patman

Right! So that means he *OWES* us an update on how he's used the prize to build something even more amazing. :D:D

23. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

He already did, I dont have a link though.

24. throttlein

throttlein

This post is unbelievable!

25. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Bump.. I wanna see an update too!!!

26. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Makes me want to throw away my crap. But you must suffer from OCD, you have a clean floor and a workbench you can work on. OUTSTANDING JOB

27. flthd31

flthd31

I should have add this earlier.
    Looks like a lot of guys would like a full size pattern of the 32 rail ( I get a lots of pm's asking for it) so I'm attaching a file that you can print yourself. It was created with Microsoft Publisher 2003 so you'll need that program to print it. It's pretty common (part of MS Office Business Ed.) so if you don't have it just ask around. The file will have to be unzipped. (sorry but zipping was necessary because HAMB does not recognize .pub files)

32frame.jpg

It will print in 16 pages with crop marks for overlaping and taping together.
    Piece of cake...go for it!

Attached Files:

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

Anything new to add for us to see?

29. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Amazing..................ly frugal!

30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2