Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 Redux

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by av8, Dec 22, 2008.

1. av8

av8

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I suspect that book created most of the younger part of the Old Ford contingent on the HAMB and some of the older part as well...
    I think it caught the attention of many, many beginning rodders and a few burned out older ones who would never have realized otherwise that there was a second path to running an Old Ford, one not requiring power windows, billet pulleys, and faux Toyota interiors.
    It continually amazes me that there are people on here whose PARENTS weren't born when the last early Fords were new who are building flatheads and learning the mysteries of banjo setup, and I suspect that few of them would have made it to where they are without this book, surely the major catalytic element in modern traditional rodding.
    This book is not just useful, it is important.

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

My copy of the book looks pretty bad, tattered, oil and grease on every page, but it sure helped me through my first hot rod build.

Rich

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I bet I've bought over 20 copies of the book through the years... I give them out to people that are building cars, but don't have it... It's like a steering wheel.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

when i got heavily interested in building a car... my supplies were a stack of 40's-50's magazines and that book

thanks!

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the book lives on my coffee table. full time.

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

same here.

8. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

The book lives in my bathroom. But that's after a long stint in the garage helping me build my car. Its truly a great piece of American literature. Right up there with Kerouac and Twain!

9. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

The Bishop/Tardel book was one of the first I bought, and my chassis was patterned somewhat after his. When I was having issues I talked with Vern and he set me straight.
    Both Vern and his son Keith are great people and so some really nice work.
    I had wanted Keith t make my frame but I didn't want to wait 6/9 months to get one, so I built my own.

10. banjorear

banjorear

Funny, mine too. I have a garage copy and a house bookshelf copy. Rarely do I buy doubles of books. This one was an exception.

Mike and Vern did an excellent job with this. Seems to speak volumes of both men as well. Straight forward, no nonesense and to the point. Like it should be.

11. Amen!

12. Lucky77

Lucky77

It's so great seeing that car in color. There's only a few color shots on the front and back cover of the book. fab32 explained the value of "How to Build a Traditional Hot Rod Ford" to me like this. "Read it cover to cover, then when you're finished read it cover to cover again. When you start to think you're understanding what you're reading, read it again."
    He's right, everytime you pick it up you learn something new. I'm using it every step of the way with my hiboy roadster build. Right down to the rear step and modified 32 K member. I'm fairly certain between "the bible" and the "gospel" of the HAMB I'll be able to turn out a killer roadster.

Attached Files:

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

What a perfect response...

14. Like an old friend. Dig seeing the new pictures.

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Same here!....

What a great JJ entry. :cool:
    I've been reading this book (not finished yet) and using it as a guideline, rather than bible, for my 'A' Roadster build. It contains some very valuable information that is put together and written in a way that is very easy to understand.
    Thank you Mr. Bishop and Mr. Tardel!

Malcolm

16. mine is in the library... ie the bathroom
    tk

17. PAracer

PAracer

I wasn't to interested in building a hot rod until I found the HAMB and learned about traditional cars. I spent months reading all I could here but still didn't feel comfortable taking on the project of building my first hot rod. The book was recommended all over the place here. So I bought a copy and read it from cover to cover. Now I have a 31 Model A coupe, 53 Flathead, 39 toploader, and a 40 banjo rear end sitting in the garage....

In my opinion this Book and HAMB go together like Peas and Carrots!

18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes.

Thank you to both Mike and Vern.

19. Tremendously well done book.

The building is fun, but tweaking and tuning are my favorite parts.

Mike and Vern really did the hot rod world a favor by bringing this book to fruition.

Now, if Mike would only get started on his life story and all the little pecadillo's he got involved in.

It'd make a helluva book....

20. i've had a couple copys but they seem to disapir, i should get another one. i'll second that the new color pics are nice and make me want a car like that again like when i read it the first time.

and now for some thing completely different:

i like to see a couple of companion books

1. a rolling bones book with the stuff chuck varrnas has been doing for street rodder
    2. a bleed book documenting bobby's style

21. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Mike's book hit the street about the time I was finishing my AV8. If I had the book 8 years earlier, I would have been on the road in 4 years, not 8. I have read and re-read it several times. I have refered to it so often, I've almost worn it out. It's a classic.

22. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I love that book and Mike's roadster. Both are very inspiring. It was nice to read the story behind the book and the car. Welcome to the hamb Mike!

23. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Beautiful Roadster!

Congrats to Mike and Vern on a book that will undoubtedly inspire many more generations to come.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Heh... Mike's been on the HAMB since... 1998?

25. ironbuyer

ironbuyer

Between that book and Don Montgomery books it certainly has influenced how we build our cars. More than anything how important it is to stick to an era. In my opinion you can see this generations guidence in all of these books. Who gets it and who does not.
    Steve Glucoft
    Amocat Speed Emporium

26. I bought AV8's book back when I found out about it on the RRT... Back when I was a mere lurker here.

Mine's spine is white and wrinkled, and a bargain at twice the price.

I had collected a lot of the right chassis parts once, and sold them all off to pay a medical bill, my 1959

27. rustybucket

rustybucket

I have had my copy for nearly 10 years. It certainly had a huge effect on me. I had been into old cars for a while mostly 50's style customs. I began having an interest in rods and picked up the book. It sealed the deal for me and began my personal journey into proper hot roding. I had been in and out of college and it became apparent that if I wanted to have the hot rod of my dreams I needed to get a good job. This meant going back to school with a serious focus. I did just that and nearly 10 years latter, now a degreed and practicing industrial designer I am less than 6 months from realizing the dream I have had for all these years.

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  28. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

When I bought my copy, I really didn't know what a tradition roadster really was. I didnt follow it to the letter with my roadster, but I learned a lot about the dedication it requires to build an authentic car.

29. I've seen this book everywhere I go. Never bought it because my '29 is 'glass (sorry) left over from the '70's altered wars. Looks like now I have to go buy the book, and add it to my reference library.
    My taste in hot rod style runs about ten years newer than the blue '29's style, but I'm studied enough to realize, kind of like the blues, the blue '29 and cars like it are really where it all started.
    There are books you must refer to if you want to know, or in my case remember, which parts you need to build your dream car. This must be one of them.
    Names like Gingerelli, Batchelor, and Medley come to mind off the top of my head.
    I know, I'll wrap it and put under the tree! Someone in the family is going to get me what I want for Christmas!! Thanks, Mike

30. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Killer book..I have read it thoroughly many times..each time learning something new...and am using it as a reference for aspects of my current roadster build.