Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Gasser straight axle Puddin style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShakeyPuddin55, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

You sir are one lucky guy! Nice work and a killer car! Mike (and you) have the skills!

2. slammed1

slammed1

I am a newbie here but just wanted to say that this thread has blown me away. The 55 you have is first,extremely cool,badass,neat,groovy,and whatever else you could add........throw on a great straight axle swap with awesome fabrication by your friend,an injected big block,and low 9 second time slips all while being as nostalgic as can be. Speechless,truly bookmarking this thread.

I am reminded by a few of the rides my Dad worked on in the early 70's in our garage,a altered wheelbase 56 Chevy,Fuel Altered Fiat Topolino and our own straight axled 37 Chevy coupe.

Top notch work my friend and a 55 I would love to have in my possession.

Subscribed!!

3. 2002p51

2002p51

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about this car and this post. It's excellent.
    Just curious though, how long did all this work take to complete? And what was the weight difference, if any?

4. Gearhead Dude

Gearhead Dude

That's just too cool! Its one thing to plan out a project, but even more to plan out the pics and capture all the build details for us. Thanks for sharing your awesome '55 with us. It make's me regret selling my '54 2-door post last summer.

5. tdm

tdm

Great information and a "NICE" job.

6. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Honestly I forget how long it took. We both work full time and have lots of other things going on. But it was several months.

Before the car had the axle, it weighed a little over 3000lbs but we haven't put it back on the scales. I'm guessing it lost around 100lbs.

7. 55project

55project
    from Phila. Pa.

My hat goes off to you and your buddy,,,AWSOME build..:D

If you & your buddy want more work, i'm doing a 53 , the workmanship is very impressive,, i would send out my car without a second thought..;)

Good luck with it,, Again Very Nice........:)

8. Nomadness

Nomadness

Excellent tech post. Great step by step pics. BAD ASS car, thanks for sharing :D

9. bonesy

bonesy

Fantastic. Great tech and a great looking car.

10. ...did you guys do the rear radius'd wheel openings? If so, how was that done?
    By far a most excellent post and car!

11. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

No that was done many many years ago. It's a real hack job. Sheet metal, rivets and a LOT of bondo.

Thanks!

12. JohnT

JohnT

Great write up and awesome work.
    This gives me a lot of inspiration as to what to do with my 55

thanks for sharing !

John

13. I just bought a '55 Pontiac that was gutted, front A-arms rusted through....the only reason I bought it was this post and the one of the '55 chevy with the hemi with a straight axle. I'm going racing with my fellow club member Don Moyer and his AMC powered Willys the Rebel Reaper. I'll be the one that is about 4 seconds slower:D Poncho Villa rides again!

14. tr12

tr12

oooooooooooooooh shiny!
    nice job clean,nice welds.keep up the good work

15. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

This may be the dumb question of the decade, but where is the radiator? :confused:

16. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

The "radiator" is a transmission cooler that is mounted horizontally under the Eelco tank. The engine runs on methanol so I usually have more of a problem trying to build heat...

17. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Very nice post SP55. Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post the process. I learned a lot!

Looks like you're having fun with that hot rod and isn't that what it's all about?!

18. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

this was a amazing thread.. i remember reading it when i joined... it blew me away... and tell yourself and your friend you did a magnificent job!

19. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

wingnutz, No I only have the 2 engine travel limiters along with the motor plate and mid plate.

20. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I thought for sure my drag link bounced off the oil pan. I looked everything over real good and saw no sign that it hit anything.

There is not a lot of clearance, but I dont have a lot of travel in those leaf springs either. That run was definitely a good test for the new front end.:eek:

21. r1932coupe

r1932coupe
    from INDIANA

Thats one awesome 55, I'm building one myself and i can't wait till it's done. I was wanting to know what size rear tires you are running?

22. f-1freak

f-1freak
    from Texas

Man, what an awesome car! Thanks for the posting of this frontend build, it helps alot. :D How is your rearend setup?

23. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

They are Mickey Thompson ET Drags, 33x10.5W-15 on 15x12 Ansen wheels.
    I'm thinking of switching to 16x13 Halibrands with 13.00-16 M&H Racemasters.

Ford 9", braced housing, Moser nodular center section, spool with 5.13 gears and 35 splined axles. S&W 42" ladder bars with coil over shocks.

24. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I've been meaning to link the wheelie video on this post to show how well the axle held up under extreme conditions. I honestly think I would have been in big trouble with a mild steel Speedway or MAS axle....

25. f-1freak

f-1freak
    from Texas

That car is bad azzzz! Wow, what a video that thing hooks like crazy. You have done a great job setting it up.

26. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

thanks for posting the wheelie.been trying to catch it on TV .love the car .

27. r1932coupe

r1932coupe
    from INDIANA

Could you tell me what kind of rearend setup and suspension you are running?

28. tinyt869

tinyt869

r1932 coupe look 4 post above yours

29. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

It doesn't matter how many times I see it, I never get tired of it.

30. r1932coupe

r1932coupe
    from INDIANA

Thanks, I totally missed that.