Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Letter From Hell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. jack orchard

jack orchard

he affected my life for the better. R.I.P. to both...jack

3. Mickey Thompson is and was a true legend. May he and his wife rest in peace. Perhaps, Ryan, the best thing to do with that letter is nothing at all...

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Ryan, I understand your angst and look forward to your decision on what to do about the letter, whatever it may be. Peace.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I won't ever publish the letter. That much has been decided... Instead, I want to write about the experience of it all. However, I'm not going to do that without first making sure that doing so isn't opening up some family wounds.

Like I said, I'm not a journalist and don't make my bones by being there first or without a lean. I'm a writer.

6. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Does this Goodwin guy have any legal irons in the fire? Any pending appeals and suchlike? Couldn't a letter like that have any legal ramifications?

7. Weasel

Weasel

And let's not forget that Colleen Campbell - Mickey's sister - fought tirelessly for justice in her brother's and sister-in-law's murder case and never gave up. The letter is part of history - just think of what it will be in fifty years from now - part of the documentation that surrounds this case - before and after.

I too would think that this letter may be self serving for Michael Goodwin and I would think it best remains sequestered so as not to suit the author's purpose....

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

Goodwin is serving two life sentences, Judge made sure all appeals are denied. He will never leave prison.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow man, that's super heavy! Good move on not sharing the letter, that makes complete sense.

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The guilty usually seize any small ambiguity and try to build a defense around it. They are often very good at it. if there ever is a list of the best the racing world had to offer, Mickey and AJ would be at the top.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A friend was a former associate with Mickey Thompson...he worked on the stretched Mustang funny car, and some of the Pontiac projects with Mickey.
    I joined him in 1970, and one week we went South to visit friends of his (in the business) picking up pieces for his '27 Roadster project.
    We stayed one night with Mickey and Trudy. I was stoked...

When I heard the news of their deaths, it was surreal. Like a bad dream...
    Like Ryan, I had some reaction when Mr. Goodwin was brought to justice...the evidence was such that it seemed to take forever.
    I don't have a judgemental opinion here, but the system seemed to work; I, for one, was satisfied.

Mickey was a serious business man, and had to be tough to achieve what he did.

12. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Ryan.. Have no idea what is in that letter an honestly don't care. I believe like some others that it was written with an agenda befitting the writer.

Personally, I would wipe my ass with it and mail it back to him. No one else on this planet had a motive but him to kill Mickey Thompson and his wife. End of story.

13. daddio211

daddio211

You never know who your fan club may include!

14. alittle1

alittle1

Ryan,

When each of us is born, we are all given a cross to bear. You now have yours. Good luck, my friend.

15. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Wow. I don't know what I'd do if I received that letter in the mail...

RIP Mickey and Trudy

16. bamaheel

bamaheel

A lawyer's job is to manipulate the skeletons in other people's closets.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Exactly right.

18. BISHOP

BISHOP

I think it will feel pretty good the day you burn that letter.

19. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Ryan, I do not think it is too big of a leap to go from "writer" to "journalist" in this particular case. You already have an in depth knowledge of the situation, perhaps it could be argued a little too close but there is a story here for certain.

Take some time and consider all options with this document you received. I believe the answer to the question of what to do with it will become crystal clear.

20. The world was robbed the day Mickey & Trudy were murdered. Goodwin is where he belongs, behind bars. But like it or not that letter is history, it should be vaulted for years, one day in the far distant future released. It is not often you have the opportunity to read how a convicted criminal justifies or tries to explain how they couldn't possibly be involved. It would be a window into that persons mindset. It must add another dimension to the story no matter how fabricated/bullshit it is.

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I honestly can't say what I would do with a letter such as this especially when it's accompanied with such a far reaching story. I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news of Micky and Trudy's murder. I think I remained motionless for a few minutes just trying to soak it all in.
    The only contact I had with Mickey was a phone call regarding a set of pistons we bought from him for our record holding B/S 409 Chevy. One of the pistons was damaged during shipment and the call was to see if a duplicate could be made in time for the Nationals. Mickey gave a solution to the situation (which is too long for this discussion) that allowed us to be at Indy and compete without interuption.
    Goodwin is where he deserves to be and has plenty of time to reflect on his deeds AND his coming eternal home in Hell when his life here is done.

Frank

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Just finished the CBS special. There was a lot about the case that I had no idea about. Sad sad end to a true legend.

23. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Ryan, I can understand how disturbing it must be to recieve such a letter.
    However you may not be the first or the only one he has written to. Many criminals, give their no hope situation, spend their time reserching and writing to anyone who is on the public record as having ever written anything about their case.

24. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Michael Goodwin has a fucking blog that he must be writing from prison. He must have internet access and thats how he found the HAMB piece on Mickey. The first page is a lengthy piece which is a rambling cry of innocence, I'm guessing the same or similar to the letter. Naturally, he blames everyone for conspiring against him.

25. gonmad

gonmad

Bizarre.....just plain bizarre!!
    Hope it all turns out well for you man.

26. Ddooce... I think that you may have hit it on the head, the very same thought crossed my mind. How many of those letters are circulating out there? Now, Ryan, don't get me wrong. I am not saying that you are not ledgenary and your name wouldn't be the only one to pop into someones head given the same situaton... Just sayin' ya' know?

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you ask any person serving time in prison all of them will say they are innocent. In addition, they have nothing better to do all day but sit around and plan ways to get themselves out of there. Michael is doing exactly that by sending you that letter.

To do anything with it would only honor Michael at the expense of Mickey, his Wife, and surviving family members. Why open old wounds now? They are dead, the courts have determined who did it, end of story. Michael is trying to use you to further his cause, don't let him do that.

I watched an interview Charles Manson gave recently and that POS is still claiming he had nothing to do with those murders. It also pissed me off that he was given a platform to air his twisted story. It would be no different if anything is done with the letter you just got. Let Michael rot in there without gaining and satisfaction for authoring that letter.

JMO.

Don

28. S.F.

S.F.

wow...that was the last thing I expected to see on the HAMB today.....it doesnt seem real to me that Goodwin sent you a letter......wow, thats crazy...and sort of creepy. why you? of all people? (not saying that in a bad way)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that you blogged and got this off your chest, burn it.

30. I remember hearing about the cold blooded deaths of Micky Thompson and his wife and thinking why and how could someone do that to one of my hero's?

I wonder why you (Ryan) of all people he would select to send his manifesto too?

Does he have access to the internet ? read the Hamb? understand your passion for the history and the larger than life legions of hot rodding tradition?

Does he still deny being guilty?,,it only opens up wounds and creates more questions.

I have a lot of respect for you Ryan and I believe you are much more of a journalist than you give yourself credit,,I also believe given the right amount you will dig into the letter and come to some sort of conclusion,,we will be here when you do. HRP