Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pictures of '32 coupes with flattened '40 rear crossmember?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Mar 19, 2014.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Guys,

I did a search and saw alot of posts on how to install a flattened '40 rear crossmember in '32 frame but nothing showing the actual cars stance with the said crossmember installed????

I am curious how the rear will sit with a '40 banjo and spring set up with 7.50 x16 blackwalls on a fenderless car ??

Will it fill the wheel well and follow the body line contour?

Anybody have any pictures to share for inspiration?

2. NealinCA

NealinCA

Not a coupe, but a flattened 40 crossmember in a fenderless 32 with 7.50-16 blackwalls.

[​IMG]

I started with a reversed eye main leaf, but it sat too low and went back to a stock 40 mainleaf. I left about 1/2 of dip in the crossmember, just so the u-bolts would be flush with the top of the frame.

Neal

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Mine has a 9 inch, and a 8.20x15 fits pretty good with 40 flattened, and 40 ford front spring reversed eye spring. I plan to put stock eye back in to raise the rear 1" and run a 7.00x16 rear tire. I may fill the wheel well just the same.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Mine is still in progress. Flattened 40 crossmember with stock 40 front spring with 1 or 2 upper springs removed with stock eye main leaf. As low as it can go without C notching the frame for axle clearance. There are pictures of the chassis in my thread.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395273298.392538.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks guys, that is exactly what I was looking for............Anyone else have any pictures they want to show?

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Henry's sedan has a flattened crossmember and the wheel wells have been moved up. Probably one of the best profiles on a sedan with a buggy spring that I have seen.

Attached Files:

DeLuxe 32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

The sedan stance is spot on. How much C notch or step was required to get there?

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

A flattened rear crossmember really works well to set a nice ride height. I just realized now, my 9 inch is right up under the rear floor. Now I have to make a relieve or blister in the trunk floor for sup. travel. Courious to see how others have done it.

9. Bumping this up for some more pics, sedans, coupes, roadsters, I'm not picky. Finally getting started on my chassis and need to decide on rear crossmember and spring selection. Advice welcome, '40 banjo, '36 rear radius rods in a 32 frame...

10. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    The stock crossmember was swapped out for a Model A one as well as wedge cutting the frame approx 3/4" at the top of the frame rail just behind the rails kick up gaining another 4" drop over the stock height at the rear. The fender wells were raised 3" also.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is one I did a while back for another HAMB Member, using a 32 C/M. I have all of the procedure sequence shots loaded up, I will post them if you want. IMG_0326.JPG Wayne 4.jpg

12. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi Marty, yeah , please post the pics !
    I want to do the same and could use some ideas
    Micky

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Alright Micky, here you go ! As I remember, it lowered the chassis around 2-1/2". IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0317.JPG IMG_0319.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0325.JPG

kidcampbell71, ss34coupe and RICH B like this.
  14. Trucker Jim

Trucker Jim

15. Very nice! The pics tell it all. Beautiful work, as usual.
    Thanks for sharing your talent, Marty.

16. swifty

swifty

Excellent work Marty. That roadster has a great stance. I gather you didn't "C" or box the chassis? I've got a mate just setting up a similar 32 roadster combo and he will be keen to see your pics (he doesn't have a computer)

17. Up for some more pics....

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.