Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need some input...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Dan

Dan

So my neighbor brought this in for us to do some work on...
    DO NOT want this to turn into a discussion of r#% r*@, bobber truck, etc., we can all see what has already been done to it...
    Looking for input on some ideas to clean it up a little, refine the look, de-Rodz it etc...
    Thanks-

Attached Files:

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Making the body and frame look as good as the engine (paint) would be a start. :)

3. Pick a SINGLE theme and go with it. If it were mine, I'd go with a bare-bones, no gimics hot rod. Think "less is more". I'd fix the following:

1) Wheels & tires: I'd go with 16" steelies and big/little bias plys (4.5x16 & 7.5x16 Firestone blackwalls).
    2) Stance: Lower the nose for a ~3-4 degree nose-down rake.
    3) Color: make it all one color, even if it's just temporary primer.

4. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I agree with all the above suggestions... Here's my list:

-fenders
    -add panels below the bed to visually lengthen its height and match the bottom of the cab (just me maybe?)
    -primer that thang....too many colors to think straight!
    -def hood with grill shell sides optional. Open hood on this will only feed the image you're trying to avoid.
    -wide 5's? Steelies at least.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Along with the above, I think you should look at pulling the front end back towards the cab as much as you can. I don't see a grill/ hood that would tie that together well. Here's a ford that works proportionally, maybe it will help with inspiration. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393885454.695430.jpg

6. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Basically avoid using beer cans for overflows and do a nice paint job. I think if you just keep it clean it'll be cool.

7. Squablow

Squablow

I agree that the front axle is too far forward, should be centered with where the radiator will sit. Shouldn't be too tough to shorten up the frame at this point.

Full fenders would be tough with the current setup, but bobbed rear fenders would help. The blank sides of the box look odd with no fender reference. At the very least, a raised bead where the fender would have been would help.

Could the sides of the cowl be made flat, so it's not so obvious this cab is meant to have an integrated hood and front fenders? If you do it right, it might also de-accentuate (is that a word?) the massive firewall.

Bobber trucks would probably be a lot more accepted in the rod community if the people who built them put more thought into proportions and final finish than many of the examples running around currently. That's why I think the wheelbase, cowl width, and blank box sides are weak points of this one.

8. Squablow

Squablow

I just noticed that the front leaf spring is clamped to a piece of square tubing with no spring pocket in it, and that the front frame horns are made of the same square tubing that the original framerails have to taper down to match. I would cut all of that off and put in a proper front spring crossmember relocated to center the axle under the grille. I'd also rework that steering box bumpout, it's kind of a big wart on the frame.

EDIT Looking closer again, that rear window opening has to change for anyone to ever consider this thing more than a shock value beater.

9. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

A sano install on a well fit/placed grill shell, headlights and a hood (tops at least). One color, big and littles and a hot rod rake as others have said.

10. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I agree... Shorten the front, add fenders, White walls, with wires... Paint with Red oxide to start...

11. missysdad1

missysdad1

I think Squablow hit the nail on the head: work on establishing pleasing proportions and then work on quality construction.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

has a lot of potential. but, as owner knows needs lots of work. start with frame, suspension, steering, brakes, proper rake with tires closer to those that will be used to set up pinion angle, etc. get engine running to see what kind of shape it and trans are in. of course finish chop, etc. sitting in nice shop so, I guess that he knows what he is doing.

13. offer to take it in trade for the chevy sitting next to it and then part it out!

14. Dan

Dan

:) chevy sitting next to it is my son's, not going anywhere... :)

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd visit "killbillet.com" and "Rat Rods rule. com".. There should be plenty of ideas.. Just look at some "stances" and front end treatments and try to ignore all the RR bullshit...

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd lower the front a bit to get a level or slight downhill stance. I'd go minimal on fenders with a simple trailer style rear fender, and a narrow fender up front that just covers the tire. Might also drop the bed slightly to get it closer to the ground.
    Then just fix the body work, and give it decent paint, plus tires and wheels.

17. I think that a nice rounded off grill shell would help it a ton. Something sort of a cross between art deco and track nose. Obviously a coat or two of paint wouldn't hurt a thing, but I think forst you have to address the flow of the body.

Of course this is all just opinion.

18. desotot

desotot

Move the front axle back,slight rake with big n littles,shiny paint, some chrome.

19. pitman

pitman

Just Gary and Squablow have good tips. I'm thinking ever-so-mild custom effect,
    w/fenders and hood that flow well into the cab.
    A very unusual treatment that would be pleasing to the Eye.

20. Dan

Dan

Think we are getting a little bit closer...
    changed the engine position and the front crossmember, have about the half the floor done...I think a little bit more rubber rake and thinking about adding on to the bottom of the box (the cardboard taped in place in the pic...)

Attached Files:

21. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Checkout Plowboys "Haters gonna hate' build thread. He nailed the proportions. Short wheelbase is the key.

22. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Just throwing up a pic of my truck as of last year, dont have any with the current exhaust and headlights. But the frame was shortened about 1 foot and step-boxed completely.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App! 1395352041791.jpg

23. Dan

Dan

Well I think mocking the grille shell into place helps some...
    I would like to shorten the wheelbase a couple more inches but having issues w/ the radiator, front crossmember, etc...
    Can't set the radiator on top of the front crossmember because then the lower hose would hit the fan, so it has to sit behind the crossmember.
    Cant raise the engine as the floor is already channeled and raising the trans would take away even more floor space...
    I think we may be kinda screwed, I'm out of ideas????

Attached Files:

24. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I think the front end is a huge improvement, if your rear tire had about a 5-6" sidewall it would sit a little better and look a little shorter.