Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin Speed Shop - RoadFarmer 1955 Chevy Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kail, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I wanted to share a car we have been working on here at Austin Speed Shop.

It belongs to customer and good friend Steven Boschma aka RoadFarmer. He has been collecting parts for a few years now and I think he finally has enough cool stuff to get started.
    This project isn't a full fast paced build. We are going to help Steven in stages.

Here is what he picked up complete with faux military paint. Body seems pretty straight and the floors and chassis held up really really well making this a great candidate for his build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We started by sanding the body down to bare metal to get a better look at what he had (also because bare metal is cooler than army drab). We uncovered a few small bad patches, repairs and some bondo but all in all he really has a great car. The front fenders seemed to be the worst.. but not an issue since Steven decided on a full fiberglass front end.

[​IMG]

Now to start slimming her down starting with the heavy independent front suspension. Before we start we used several jackstands and shimmed them leveling the car out. It would have been ideal to put this on a frame bench but it is occupied for a while. Once the car is level and properly supported, I inspected and measured the chassis for damage and squareness. I laid out the axle center lines and also laid out a frame center-line to use for future reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

hipster, TwoLaneBlacktop and Ryan like this.
  2. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I braced up the front frame rails then proceeded to cut the front clip off.

[​IMG]

Here we are making the front frame stub. I picked 2x3 square tubing and 2” round. Dont mind the rust flash she came right off.

[​IMG]

I laid it out square on a level fab table and brace it down. I happen to have some left over DD steering shaft that is the perfect height for laying out the round tubing in between. I used a couple washers to chuck the tube up to keep it in place.

[​IMG]

I tacked the front tube in, constantly checking for square. I weld a brace on the back of the frame stub to help insure nothing moves . Then I proceed to weld the tube fully in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love '55 Chevy's .... I'm along for the build.

4. Great work Kail! :D
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382485193.289034.jpg
    Here it is the night I bought it at the roundup two years ago.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This should be good. I'm looking forward to updates.

6. dblgun

dblgun

subscribed..

7. Plans are to have an early 60's styled street racer/show rod.

My grandfather grew up in the late 50's early 60's in the Bellflower / Artesia, Ca area.

We had always talked about building what would have been the baddest car in school.

We never got to do it, but now I want to go ahead with it.

8. johnny_rocket88

johnny_rocket88

doesn't look like no gasser

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Gonna be Great Steven.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Excited to see this throughout the process. We know you'll kill it!

11. 80WTI

80WTI

Don't be shy post up heaps of pics please, subscribed

12. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I plan on posting plenty of pics, don't have lots of time to sit behind computer to type and resize pics, but doing my best to document this as well as a couple other projects we are working on.

13. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I then fit the stub into the frame. I purposely left it long so i could slide it in and out till I got the proper length. I left a decent amount inside the frame but wasn’t to much so I didn’t need to cut it down. Plus it allowed me to plug weld it in.

[​IMG]

Once it was square I welded the side, I cut the surrounding frame material and bent it down to meet the stub, I then welded it all around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then made these plates to gusset the frame for extra strength and to clean up the appearance of the transition between the two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I think the 1st series looks good with stock sheet metal and not as skinny front tires. The 2nd series seems to look good with the fiberglass front and a skinny front wheel… this is all a matter of opinion. If you are unsure just take the front in place and see how she looks.. You can also run several other axles, econoline, ford truck, early ford, or aftermarket or home made tube.. there are plenty others but you get the idea.. all pose their own issue

We decided to run the 2nd series because; skinny front wheels and tires, fiberglass front, availability of parts and disc brake brackets that use chevy calipers. The other MAJOR reason is the spring mounts on the axle match up perfectly with the width of the front frame stub, eliminating time for extra brackets and puts the springs in a strong safe place under the rails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the chevy truck u-bolts and plates I secured 2 model A stock height leaf springs on each side. Add a set of shackles bushings and and a couple brackets (checking for square constantly) we then tack the front end on the frame stub. Things to be aware of are shackle angle and axle caster. We decided to run the front axle a little forward of stock.:D

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

grew up in Lakewood same period of time,had real good running 56 chevy post.gunmetal grey w/americans.one of the baddest at Lakewood high. good luck with your build.
    GaryB

16. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

So for reference on Chevy axles

I did some rough measurements, I didn't break out the micrometer on this one so I apologize if these are not dead on.

1st Series
    King pin top center to center 50"
    Spring perch center to center 26.75"

2nd Series
    King pin top center to center 53 5/8"
    Spring perch center to center 32"

Also you will notice in the picture that 2nd series has a lump that acts as a steering stop and the 1st series does not.. just in case you are on craigslist or at a swap meet.;)

Attached Files:

17. johnay

johnay
    from UK

Great fabrication on the front clip :)QUOTE=Kail;9310470]I then fit the stub into the frame. I purposely left it long so i could slide it in and out till I got the proper length. I left a decent amount inside the frame but wasn’t to much so I didn’t need to cut it down. Plus it allowed me to plug weld it in.

[​IMG]

Once it was square I welded the side, I cut the surrounding frame material and bent it down to meet the stub, I then welded it all around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then made these plates to gusset the frame for extra strength and to clean up the appearance of the transition between the two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

18. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

can't wait to see the finished project, love 55 gassers!

19. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

20. Neat so far. I'm gonna subscribe to this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and info.

21. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Love 55 Chevys, gasser or otherwise.

Tagged to follow.

22. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Cool, looks like a good start.

23. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

This looks to be a great build! Keep posting pics. Are you planning on running this thing on the street or will it be for the track?
    Jay

24. It will be a street car. I want to build it in a way I could run the DOTD or HAMB drags if I wanted to. I'm sure I'll baby it for a while till the newness wears off:D:eek:

25. autobilly

autobilly

What's for motorvation?

26. A hot SBC with this on top :D
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382574662.535645.jpg

27. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

This is going too be a GOOD build!!! GAS on Brother!!!!

28. draginsteel

draginsteel

[​IMG]

Chevy 1/2 ton truck axles? What year ranges are Series 1 and 2. Thanks!