Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you put on a car show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49styleline, Jul 27, 2013.

1. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

at my school we have a senior project we have to do where we have to put on a event of some sort, im only a sophomore but its never to early to start thinking about it. in the past people has done talent shows, coached sports teams, organized wrestling tournaments all kind of stuff. and i want to know what would go into putting on a small car show and i have no clue how to do so.

how do you get cars to come?

how do you get people to show up?

what else goes into it?

2. olds vroom

olds vroom

Advertise.........and they will come

3. Make arrangements for a place to have a show,make arrangements for insurance to cover your butt in case someone gets hurt,try to find a sponsor,make up flyers,scrounge some door prizes,good bags are nice and pray it doesn't rain or it's the same day as a already know successful show.

It also helps to have a bunch of like minded friends to help. HRP

4. What he said! Don't think of it as a car show...more of an event, especially if you have overhead to pay for. Have a reason for folks to want to spend money on your vent. I can tell you to put on a event like Sins or Midnight Mass Detroit was a ton of work. Mass planning was started in September

5. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Since this will be a school project, I think that you need to talk to your school counselor or another administrator about your idea first. sounds like the other projects were done at your school, correct? is there an auto shop instructor at school to talk to? have you talked this over with your Mom & Dad? do you have buddies that are into modified cars that might help you? you can use the information provided to you here to make a comprehensive initial proposal. as stated, there is a lot of possible help available. just take things slowly. just because one person says no another will say yes.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What HRP said, plus get some chicks.

8. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

9. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

always important :D

10. roughneck424

roughneck424

I watched this little car show put on by the 8th grade class grow. They are over 20 years and still going.
    http://cuyamavalleycarshow.com/

Raffle tickets great way to make money. You will be surprised how much free stuff you can get from local business to raffle off.

11. Find every cheap or free paper, computer event calendar, social bulletin board or whatever, that will let you list your event. If possible, hand out fliers at other car shows and auto related events in your area a few months prior to your show. Radio advertising is usually too expensive but you might want to give it a try about two week ends ahead of the show. Regular newspapers are too expensive, only advertise in the cheap ones. Also don't forget Craigs list, both under events and under car parts for sale. You want to have your adds where they get the most views for the least cash outlay. Good luck with your show.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say keep it low key and don't get too caught up in having to have a lot of big door prizes or fancy trophies.

Find a venue that while inexpensive or free to use has restrooms on site or close by. Food within walking distance or maybe a local organization that has a portable concession stand would be interested in setting up their concession stand.

Then check the schedules of car events in the area to see what weekend is usually open in the spring. While you aren't shooting for high numbers you don't want to do it on the day that the local event that is a must attend event is scheduled for.

You will need enough help to make things run smoothly and some of that should be guys who know the ins and outs of doing a show. Not necessarily as actual workers at the event but advisers who can help make things go smoother.

My auto mechanics club students and I put on two local car shows before we threw in the towel and said no more. We did it in conjunction with local civic leaders who had no clue on how car shows work and that didn't help a lot. The issue for us was local people who did not know how to conduct themselves at a car show in a public place. That is primarily because of some of the people here in town and not something that might happen elsewhere.

If you are outside of the Portland area far enough you might even think about a Cars and Coffee event at a local mall or box store with a good coffee place or two in the same parking lot if someone else isn't doing it. Those are usually pretty early on Saturday morning where guys wheel in to a parking lot and play show and tell before the mall or store opens and are gone by the time it opens. It's big with the exotic sports car guys in Seattle and Portland.

What ever you do with it just remember for you it's to show that you can plan an event, figure out the logistics of it, display your leadership skills and in the end have the car folks who who were there thinking that they had a great time and the school folks thinking you carried it off well. And not be a bunch of money out of pocket after doing it.

Remember it doesn't have to be a huge production. If you draw 50 cars and the folks in those 50 cars had a great time and the spectators had a great time it will be a huge success. And that might be a lot less stress on everyone than a 200 car production.

13. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

It would be cool if you could get a local racer or 2 to bring race cars out and fire them up for the crowd....A nitro car would REALLY be cool.....We have a local guy who will bring his AA/FA out and cackle it at charity shows.
    You could possibly cross promote with a local race track. They could announce during the weekly race that "Joe Six Pack" and "Rickie Racer " will be at you event. Joe and Rickie could then promote the track while at your event.

14. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Might as well get post #300 out the way!

15. april may

april may

Where at in Oregon are you? When I was in HS my buddy put on a car show for his senior project. Not too sure of the logistics but he had it on the football field. Worse case scenario you could just hold it in the school parking lot?

16. GTS225

GTS225

If most of your friends are into later models cars, and you're shooting for a Hot Rod/Custom show, then your target is thier parents, and even the school employees.

I might also suggest a gimmick that just might draw your target demographic. If you're after attendance by folks in the over-50 category, then see about arrangements for using a school projector, and running a film on the side of the school wall, in the parking lot, drive-in movie style.

Roger

17. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Good luck with your endeavor.
    A buddy of mine does a poker run.
    The entry goes to charity (five bucks) and a small prize goes goes to the best hand.
    The drive is scenic and the stops have ample parking and restrooms.
    They end point is at a restaurant.
    This eliminates the need for insurance, help, trophys and prizes.
    People get to also drive there cars.
    This is more meant as a drive and social rather than winning trophys.
    The time is in the planning the route and the stops of interest.
    A good cause and low cost help bring people out too.

18. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Astoria Oregon. And that's kinda what I was thinking of doing because we have a pretty big parking lot and I could do it in the summer when there is almost no one at the school.

19. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

That's a really good idea because the school has done things like that before so I know that they would have at the stuff to do it and the place.

20. raidmagic

raidmagic

I started a car show at the church I work at,I just made them printed flyers. After that I went to every show I could find and placed flyers in every car and handed them out. Free, free, free....no entry fees. Spend a few bucks on trophys. I ran 5 classes and a best in show. It had a decent turn out. Then a member of the church approached me and asked if he could get in on it for the next year, I gave him all my notes and he ran with it. It is now one of the bigger shows in our area. Grass roots is the way to do it.

21. Any hot rod clubs in your area? most will try to help a youngster get started and pass the info on........... find out when they meet and attend a meeting to promote your idea........

22. april may

april may

I don't know how many people in Astoria would be into what you are doing, but you could always promote at shows in Portland. Head down to the beaches cruise in at PIR and you could easily hand out 1000 flyers. I bet some of those guys would drive out there just to enjoy the cruise out there.

23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

All good info above, pretty much what you need to know. We are putting on our show in August. The flyers are the answer. Posters for store windows too. They are cheap and lots of people see them. We have handed out 800 flyers so far and still have a month to go. All from local events.

24. cobra_4

cobra_4

Subscribing to this so I remember to post tomorrow....

25. Something that might help financially is asking local businesses to sponsor the trophies. A club I was with would go around to each local business and ask for a $20 donation to cover the cost of one trophy, and for that donation we would have their business name engraved on a trophy as a sponsor "This trophy sponsored by Bla Bla"
    Trophies should be Red, White and Blue about 12" tall (10 years ago these cost about $12) Try to find someone local to get your trophies from. As said by others don't go crazy with fifty different categories, maybe 4 or 5, Best pre 1960, best 1960-1980, best 1980-2000, best 2000 and newer, Best motorcycle? 1st 2nd 3dr place in each category. Maybe a Mayors choice (just one trophy) Instead of Mayor you can choose any local dignitary you wish, but they do have to make an appearance. (make sure that they can)
    Whether you want to or not get the local police involved, D.A.R.E. McGruff etc.
    Military Recruiters are always looking for a chance to be seen by high school aged people.
    These last suggestions may not make your car show better, but will look good to whom ever is grading your efforts.
    Remember; Don't be afraid to ask adults for help, most of us want to see you succeed.

26. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Thank you for all the great information and ideas!

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

We have a local high school that is a city trade school training center, and they put on a car show every year to help fund the student's projects. The metal shop class builds all the trophies, and wood shop builds all the bases. The trophies are usually crossed pistons, with some sculpture welded together, and the guests at the show love getting these student built awards!
    The show is held in the school parking lot, which is a great venue for a car show, as it allows the school to have an open house for all participants to look around. They also get students and instructors involved in getting everyone parked, and registered, plus meeting the participants and directing them to where facilities and food is.
    Flyers for the cruise start out early at the winter swap meets, and since many local businesses are asked to donate or help, they also leave flyers at the businesses for people to pick up. Of course some other cruises prior to this one are venues to hand out more flyers too. Need to get the word out early, and also again a month or so before the show as a reminder.
    Take a look around at what the "going rate" is for other shows, and price your show at that rate, or even $5 less. You'll get a lot more volume with a new show at a lower rate, than making it too high. Also make sure the flyers describe it as a benefit for the school, and that will bring out more hotrodders who want to support the cause.
    As for music, a DJ that can play oldtime music is nice, but don't make the mistake so many shows make, and have the music blaring loudly throughout the show! Most guys I talk to get annoyed when the music is so loud you can't visit, or socialize without screaming over it.

28. indyjps

indyjps

Being a school event, any local business you get help from has a tax write off, insurance, advertising etc. Talk to the school administration and learn how the tax write off works. Are there any local or high school bands that will play, can you get the cheerleaders/ pom squad involved, maybe host concessions, give them a cut for a fundraiser. Concessions will bring some dough, is there an accounting club? Home Ec dept to do burgers / hot dogs. Being a school event, you can draw from the multiple clubs to chip in, this cross section of clubs will show the teacher you can make things happen with your available resources

29. Ooooo cheerleaders.... ;)

30. jroberts

jroberts

Don't forget your auto parts stores. Post a flier or better yet leave a few piles of fliers near the parts counter. You have lots of good suggestions here. Good Luck.