Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 47 Cadillac Build Thread - Not your Daddy's Caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Indy47Caddy, Jan 24, 2013.

1. I have thought about doing a build thread on my 47 Cadillac, thinking it would be a good motivator to keep the progress going, get some suggestions and help along the way not to mention documenting the progress.

First just a little about myself… I got my 55 Chevy when I was nine years old, still own it, driving and wrench’n on it. I grew up in a street rodding family, father-uncle-cousins, and there has been a lot of cars that where bought/built/sold within my family members. 40’s & 50’s cars, just about every 32 deuce model made, an old vette among many others. I’ve watched them build theirs, now I’m motivated to do my own. I have two boys whom I take to car shows in the 55, and I hope this build will help further plant that “ Hot Rod Seed” within them just as it did with me as a kid with my father’s projects.

Now for the car… It’s a 1947 Cadillac 61 Series 2 Door Fastback. Always like the Cadillac of the 50’s - particularly 2 doors, but at the time I wanted a pre 48 car as I already had a mid 50’s car and some of the car shows I liked where pre 48 only. In 2002, I first became intrigued with these caddys after a local rodder built his 46 Cadillac 2 door fastback. Found out that the guy he bought his car off of had another car, a 47 Caddy. Got in contact with the owner and made arrangements to go see it. The previous owner had an accident with the vehicle, didn’t latch the hood and it came up on him while driving. Damaged the cowl, hinges, windshield, and passenger side door. So he tore the car apart to restore it, had some of the damaged repaired before losing interest in the car. When I went to go look at this car it was at three different locations, the body was on a hay wagon in a barn at someone’s farm out in the country, the frame and suspension parts where at his son’s house, the fenders-hood and remaining parts where at the owner’s garage/attic. He had already sold the Cadillac’s original flathead. I didn’t know anything about a 47 Cadillac, these cars are BIG with lots of parts, so I had no idea if it was a complete car or not! The owner only wanted $2,500 for the car. He had $1,500 in receipts for repairs to the four fenders, hood and trunk (had them dip and bodywork/primer at a local body shop). With a clean title, I decided to take a chance on it. Here are some pics of when I brought the Caddy home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. richie rebel

richie rebel

looks good.............

3. edisonfire

edisonfire

looks exciting....

4. Beautiful cars IMHO. Especially the two doors. It'll make a very nice custom but they're BIG! I drove a 47 series 62 [cheaper caddy] 4 door sedan for a couple years. It was bone stock and that ol' 150 HP flathead ran like a watch...radios in those 47s were a super rich sounding unit...AM only but that's all they had back then.
    Mine had the hydramatic tranny and it worked flawlessly. I'd probably go with a 472-500 caddy engine with a 400 turbo in your car...smoooooooth torque and reliable as an anvil.
    Can't wait to see which direction you go with this car.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone
    from Sonoma, CA

My brother and I learned to drive in one. Wish it was still in the family.
    [​IMG]

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

First saw a '47 Caddy four door out in California way back in 1978...was maroon and huge-whitewalls, dual exhaust, lowered with a dark leather interior and definitely a hot rod by the way it sounded...fell in love with it and wanted one...but you know how that goes...!!! Finally got my first Cadillac in the late 90's...altho it wasn't a '47 four door, it is a '48 Sedanet...and I like those too...and it'll be the next build (after my '60 Chevy wagon gets done)...

At any rate Indy47...your Caddy looks like a good start...keep posting those progress shots...always like to see Caddys being built...

R-

7. Now the plan… I want something TOTALLY different. I want a classy-vintage look, a ledsled – taildragger style. Been looking at images of some of the cars built by great past builders, the Alexander Brothers – Bertolucci customs – Bill Hines – DeRosa – Gene Winfield – Dick Dean, just to name a few. Along with some HAMB members – OZ Kustoms or Bass Kustoms etc. Gathering ideas… For this build I’m thinking a chop top, section hood, fender skirts, lake pipes, wide whites, lots of body mods yet settle and smooth lines. Keeping much of the chrome cause it’s one of the great characteristics of the Cadillac. Below is a concept drawing I made, a vision of sorts. Left off lots of stuff off of the drawing (turn signals, brake light, door handles, etc.) cause I haven’t decided what I want yet. It may not finish this way but it’s a direction to work at.

Good or Bad, I’m going to try to do a lot of work on this car that I’ve never done before, some fab/metal work, bodywork and primer. There will be a lot of “first” times” for me on this one. Yet I’ll hire some too (like the chop top, a fastback is just too much for my first try). We’ll see how this works out. Looking forward to all of your comments / suggestions and help a long the way.

[​IMG]

Chavezk21 likes this.

8. 40StudeDude, I originally wanted a 48 cad, just couldn't find one within my price range at the time. Even looked at some 50 Cads, but there was always something bad about each car that scared me away. Plus, I really wanted something in the pre-48 range. Then our friend built a 46 and I just loved it... and lucked out into this one.

Rocky, I was just looking at the radio the other day. They even made them BIG also. I'll probably sub mine out as A) I'm not sure it even works, and B) I'll need the space behind the dash.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  9. As you can see the car was never complete, just a lot of parts. The frame was a roller with the stock front and rear end. I started by stripping the remaining parts off of the frame.

The IFS and IRS installed now are out of a 1980 Jaguar XJ6, a parts car my father had. A friend of my father’s in Illinois installed them for me. Below is the best to my ability to describe the work he did to the front and rear suspensions.

On the IFS… The original cross member was cut out as well as the coil spring housing in the bottom side of the frame rails. The Jag IFS was positioned into place from the bottom up on the frame rails and welded. Additional metal plates were welded on to box it in on the frame and add strength.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A small front part of the original cross was left on the frame to retain the position of the radiator support brace. Here you can see the difference in the height of the new Jag cross member and old original cross member.

[​IMG]

On the IRS… A new cross braces (side to side of frame rails) was made in front and in back of the rear suspension.

[​IMG]

Then the frame rails between the two braces were channeled or tubed inward about 6˝. Metal brackets were welded to the frame and a metal bar ran cross them for the differential to be mounted to it.

[​IMG]

New radius arms were made in the center and ends.

Originally, the car was black color. At some point someone painted it a copper brown, but that paint job was deteriorating badly. At that point, I started stripping paint. This is pretty much where I left off over 6 years ago as at that time I moved and the car went into storage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  10. So now I have a new garage, setup and motivated. Most of the car has been stripped with a 6˝ orbital sander. I was sandblasting outside (doing the outer edges, inside, floors, firewall, etc.) but Indiana weather has chased me indoors. So I built a booth inside to finish the sandblasting and put on some primer. I have the frame setup to the side so I can continue some work on it. Hopefully, the plan is to finish some fab work and disassemble the frame while sandblasting and primer the body, then swap positions with the body for primer and paint of the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  11. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Nice garage. Keep up the good work. Love the caddy's!

12. shadams

shadams

Wow, just realized I havent really ever seen that body style Caddy. Looks like the one you got is pretty clean, keep the pics coming...

13. Not too many were made. From what I have found on the internet, 1947 was considered a rebound year from the war as in first year sales resemble prewar sales.

Made: 61,926 Cadillacs
    In the 61 series (GM B-Bodies - with the B post is angled): Made 3,395
    Remaining 61 series (5,160) were 4 doors

The rest were 62 series (GM C-Bodies)

Edit: Also was 8,500 - 60 Series Fleetwoods and about 1,400 - 75 Series Fleetwoods

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  14. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Please Please PLEASE don't section the hood

I will keep watching for updates.. I like these Cadillacs even better than the 50s ones.

15. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

Keep it up! Looks like a lot of work is still ahead of you.
    That garage is awesome!

16. caddyrodder

caddyrodder

Subscribed.

Great start, I'll follow along. I have the rusty '46 convertible that's just getting started on. Sort of funny, you had to pick up your car in 3 different places. Mine is going to be an assembly of 3 different cars from both sides of the country and the middle too.

17. dillinger trucking

dillinger trucking
    from minnesota

Really looked at this site at right time as we just took a same year car out of a guys garage that started on it in 1981.The body had to be set on frame,which holds a good newer cad drivetrain.

As I love the slantbacks and have some similar cars buicks, a pontiac an olds and yes even a couple chevy aero backs we decided to [save the firewall back] and are mounting a 47 sedan delivery chevrolet firewall to rear door to the chassis with the cadillac front clip.

The cadillac shell is going in the shed until we get the skills to make it a nice rod,and the cadillac sedan delivery should occupy us with a 500 inch 400 turbo frame from a newer cad.As the two of us have no learned skills we decided to make something usefull not ratty as we like glossy paint a/c and windows.

Will be looking at your photos alot as would like to put a newer rear end in car and it seems you have turned the light on here to aid us.

this year have had a 41 cad torpedo back with a foot sectioned out and 4 inch chop,a 54 pontiac 2 door post turned into a 54 pontiac 2 door hartop chooped slantback a guyalso did the 500 inch in.These were also unique nice builds that were a good start.

kudos

18. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Cool cars...right from the factory. Continued good luck with your build...great start !
    To be honest, I would drop the "lakes"...it looks so pure, clean, and straight without 'em.

Jonnie www.legend.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  19. Dillinger Trucking,

One of the things I have been curious about is if the rear glass on Buicks, Pontiacs, Olds, or chevy areos would fit a 47 Caddy. The Cad rear glass has four holes to mount two chrome strips on top of the glass. I don't have a pic available but if you look at the pic in Cyclone above comment, you can see them. I would prefer the rear glass without them. Many of these make of cars used the GM B-Body like Cadillac did, however I know like rear fender don't interchange. If you can, compare the rear openings and see if you think they would interchange.

Also, do you know straycad here on the HAMB. He is from Minnesota and is building a 47 Cadillac 61 series 2door also.

Thanks

20. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

Awesome! Good luck!

21. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

Here's mine. Trans Am front clip, 472 Caddy with t/h 400. Tom...

Attached Files:

22. Hello Buford36, I had heard about your Cadillac. Very nice ride. Straycad here on the HAMB had stop by my garage about a month ago and mention your ride. He was a big help in identifying some parts that I didn't know where they go...

What are the headlight ringes on your Cad? Were they an option in 47 or off something else? Different than mine, but seem to flow nicely with the body line on the front fenders.

23. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Used a buick rear window in mine

24. dillinger trucking

dillinger trucking
    from minnesota

have him get online here on caddy build,cadillac kid got my 41 chopped and sectioned car with the 500 and 400,he has some nice caddies.have not talked to him since last year at this time but your friend might want to look at his car in elk river or look at the several we are hoaring.The 41 he got from me was a 25 year project started in texas,never done

the 54 pontiac was started by a father son in princeton mn and really unique as the 2 door post top was chopped,pillar removed,rear torpedo back home made,set on a elcamino chassis ,[which by the way fits the 54 exact width length etc]Just so nice to see something not on a s-10 chassis for a change.B. white got that one and will start on it this spring.
    I do not fear projects others started on 20 to 40 yrs ago if they kept them inside and had good inspiration for a custom build.
    It's odd that the jaguar car was always and still is considered a piece of crap,but they do have a unique rear end and modt v-12'have the 400 gm transmission.
    Around mn the going price on a jaguar v-12 low miles is ez at or around $600 to $1000 for complete cars as the 350 feet of vacuum hoses and electrical systems being so poor left them all parked in peoples garages yrs ago.
    really like your car.
    I drive a torpedo back gm yr around ,changing the car as they sell,it makes some people wonder why the pickup they drive in the winter to get around is worth the $40,000. when i am probally having 10 times as much fum as they are.
    keep it up.

25. My father was buying the suspensions individually. He bought this Jag sedan in the mid 90s just wanting the suspension thinking it would save him some money buying the whole car (car was a rust bucket). Sold motor & Trans to someone in MI and scrapped the rest. All said and done, if we do any more with a jag suspension we'll just buy the suspensions at a swap meet/yard as it is just as cheap and less of a hassle. They are cheaper now a days than they were in the 90s.

26. lawman

lawman

Nice start !! Please keep us up on your progress.

27. Well this is not much as far as progress goes, but I thought I'd show and tell…

I work as a designer at NAPA. Besides the great perks of employee pricing for auto parts and tools, every few years they have an employee sale. Mostly discontinued stuff, and since NAPA has a new line of tools call Carlyle, there was a lot of tools from the old line available. $5 for a small bag - $10 for a large bag.

Here is what I got to fit in my bag for $10… Some creative packing was required!:D

[​IMG]

Went back at the end of the day and picked up more stuff including this box of steel fuel and brake line assortment for another $10… Over 300 lines of 5/16˝, 1/4˝ and 3/8˝ in assorted lengths. That’s enough to do multiple cars! I’ll put them to use on the Caddy when the time comes.

[​IMG]

28. lawman

lawman

Nice score on those tool's !!!! LOL

29. vpfs

vpfs
    from MD

Please run full wheel covers on this car and not spider caps!

30. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

1953 Cadillac, I believe. Tom...