Register now to get rid of these ads!

** OFFICIAL ** hot rod clutch brake pedal thread !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 117harv, Aug 2, 2012.

1. 117harv

117harv

HPIM8062 (Small).JPG HPIM8063 (Small).JPG HPIM8059 (Small).JPG HPIM8061 (Small).JPG HPIM8053 (Small).JPG HPIM8054 (Small).JPG HPIM8058 (Small).JPG I did an exstensive search, using many key words for whole posts and titles regaurding pedals and it is spread all over. I found dozens of threads with 3 to 10 replies, some with more and all good info. I don't like the term (official) but alot of threads have it and it helps in the search, so i used it in the title.

I think it would be safe to say, and most would agree, a true HOT ROD should have three pedals, there are the exceptions. This thread is directed towards mid thirties and down, but later years should contribute too.

It seems that 39 Ford pedals are one of the most used, up there with the F-1, what year to use depends on what it's going in. It has been mentioned that the 32 pedals are hard to find and expensive, 33-34 although abit different are used in their place. While converting your early hot rod to juice brakes is a standard practice/upgrade, it seems no matter what year pedals you use some modification is involved.

What are the best ones for the 32 K member? Modified 32-34, 39 or F-1?

The model A pedals can be used with some mods on later setups, i think someone makes and sells what is needed.

Using the F-1 pedals and cross member in a model A what all is involved.

The first two pics are model A pedals, the third and fouth pics are what i believe to be 39, and the fifth and sixth are F-1. The other three are of unknown make and vintage but could be easily adapted to an early hot rod.

Please add any and all info and pics to help with setting up pedals, ie. clutch linkage, year and make of master cylinder, what is needed to make them fit etc....thanks.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

It is best to use the stock 32 pedals with a stock K member, they are not hard to find!...they are just pricey, However when you break it down for what you are going to spend on a set of 33-34 or 39 pedals and make them work, You are better to bite the bullet and pay up for the right stuff and save money on something else......Just my 2 cents

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

The third and fourth are '40 pedals.

4. Here's a previously posted picture of an F-1 crossmember and pedal assy in an "A".

The pedals in the third and fourth pictures are later than '40. The '40 brake pedal has a small "vee" bend in the main arm and the main arm on the '40 clutch pedal is straight instead of "swoopy". Mount bracket is the same tho '40-'48.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

5. 117harv

117harv

IMG_7000.jpg IMG_7056.jpg 382733-32pedalspair.jpg 39%20pedals-3.JPG Here is another F-1 setup, and two sets of 32 pedals with some minor differances. And another pic showing some differances.

6. This will become a great thread with tons of info all in one place.
    I know i've always wondered about all the different year pedals
    and what works best.

7. designs that work

designs that work

I took a unknown year of Ford pedals, before hydraulics. The factory mounting is at a angle to bolt to the x member, used both pedals and shaft. Removed the angle mount/pivot bracket. Made a simple straight mount/pivot with a master cylinder mount. Factory pedals look stock.

8. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

I made these for my lakes modified. I wanted the pedals to look like the pedals in a B17 that my son and I toured. Both of the levers have a big bearing in them, rod ends to work the linkages. The clutch is mechanical, and works like a dream. My friend and I fought like two cats in a bag over lever ratios. In the end they work better than I expected.

Attached Files:

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

This one's sitting in the "On Deck" circle waiting to get in the garage... :D We have discussed what the pedals came from, but hell.... we don't know.

Other than being cool and obviously useful in the past, I don't have a clue what they were originally. Somewhere along the line, the mount got cracked but I can fix that part.

I'm sure the experts here can tell me what they are, and what master cylinders will replace the crusty ones.

Attached Files:

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Here's my juice brake solution using '34 pedals in a '34 frame... Bellcrank.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and gonzo like this.
  11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

And '32 pedals on a '32 frame/Kmember, bad pic... basically, there's a plate bolted to the back of the Kmember to mount the MC, the arm on the pedal pivot was cut off the top and rewelded to the bottom.

[​IMG]

12. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

[​IMG]

heres my hydraulic conversion on a 32 (RHD) .

I prefer to make a new lever that fully encircles the brake pedal, and is welded all the way round, both sides. just so it never falls off!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Dapostman

Dapostman

14. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Good idea! There's a lot of good ideas here! Pedals are a weaklink of mine

15. 117harv

117harv

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

For the Track Roadsters I build, my choice are the 35-38 units. I prefer to move the master cyl under the seat, and not have the access hole in the floor. With the pull-rod and rocker arm on the brakes, you can play with ratios. This example uses a 49-51 pass car bellhousing requiring an fabricated arm for the clutch, the original arm works fine with early trans.

Attached Files:

blacknwhitedog and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Looks like a trimmed '40-'48 bracket with an extra '40 brake pedal on the left to work the clutch master. Regular #1050 early Ford masters. Bolt on pedal pads look like some I've seen on either a big truck or a tractor.

Probably cracked because it was not designed to be mounted by the master bolts.

18. 117harv

117harv

0141.jpg 0157.jpg Here is a set of A pedals made to work on a later setup with a simple fabbed bracket. Remote master is F-1.

Lil'Alb and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. 117harv this is a great thread and will only get better, THANKS DUDE!

20. Probably due to their popularity, I've seen many pedal assy's mis-represented as being '39. This may be due to ignorance, greed, or maybe pedal assy's just default to '39 like other parts default to '32 when they are for sale.

Easy way to tell, the '39 assy is the only hyd one with the clutch actuating lever inboard of the brake pedal.

Here are a couple of pictures of a '39 pedal assy to help with identification of the assy and it's parts. Not a good picture; but you can also see the "91A" part number on the bracket in the parts picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  21. 117harv

117harv

355436798.jpg 355436807.jpg pedals004.jpg pedals005.jpg 2-16-08-11-1.jpg The first two pics are 41 pedals in a 32 truck. Next two pics are late 33-34 pedals in a 32 frame. The last is a clean pedal install, unknown appl.

kidcampbell71 and ls1yj like this.
  22. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

This is a set of "39 pedals in an AV8. The same type set up was used in the '32 5 window but in that application the the clutch arm rivet was drilled out and reversed to accommodate a pull lever rather than a push for an earlier transmission.

Attached Files:

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Old Ansen pedals...takes early '60's Chevy/GMC truck master cylinder...but ya gotta swap the residual valve from the clutch to the brake side...since the original app for the master used some bellcrank linkage....

[​IMG]

24. What about pics for and un boxed model a frame with a regular 4 speed ?. I have some 46-48 and 39 pedals maybe getting some F1 pedals.

25. 117harv

117harv

HPIM8395 (Small).JPG HPIM8396 (Small).JPG HPIM8397 (Small).JPG I saved these pedals from the scrap yard, they look like Ford but i'm not sure, anyone know the make and year?

26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

These are a cheap but VERY heavy duty copy of old Ansen swing pedals. I mounted these in my '33 truck, but elongated the pedal arms to get a greater ratio. It is made to work with a '62-'66 (?) Chevy truck master cylinder.

[​IMG]

27. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

Has anyone used Speedway pedals... Item #:

28. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I used the So-Cal set up in my 32' coupe. Pedals and bell crank....GM master cylinder under the floor.
    more car re-do 001.JPG

DSC00988.JPG

29. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Bumping this for more. I am getting ready to do pedals in my 27 roadster. Love all the ideas, thanks!

30. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

Looking for more pics of modified '32 brake pedals for a master. Mine seems to have way to much throw and I need to figure a way to keep things shorter and simple. Will post pics tonight