Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cotton Werksmans' Ardun-powered T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, May 3, 2005.

1. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I was asked by my friend Old Rod to post these pics up, since his computer doesn't seem to load photos right.

This T was originally built by Cotton Werksman. Bob recently talked to him and found out he has one Ardun left and is going to build another T exactly like his old one. The pictures are from the NSRA Nats in Memphis in 1971. Bob figured all of you grey-hairs out there would appreciate it.

These pics are borrowed from Carnut.org.

2. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Here's Bob's '40 from the ASRA Nats in '72.

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

great pictures!

the T is way cool but I really dig the people shots too!

Paul

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I always liked that T is it still around, or did the ARDUN go into another car?

5. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I'm not 100% sure. Bob said he'd be on later, he'd know. He talked to Cotton the other day and got the lowdown on what he has been doing lately.

6. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Don't know what happened to the original T. He's building a new one exactly
    like the original. Different Ardun.

7. bct

bct

that louvered top is very cool..i'd say he was innovative for that time but i wasn't born yet...

8. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

About three years ago, a friend of mine in Oregon bought Cotton's T roadster on eBay. He in turn sold the widened body to another hot rodder in Oregon, and is using the blown ARDUN engine from the T in an original '32 roadster, which is now almost finished.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

9. inkorekt, I have been meaning to do a post on that T!!!!! I am not a grey hair but have thought that car was cool since I was a little dude reading my dads magazines!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pics and thanks for some info on what happened to the car. FWIW, I think that car is something a future Bruce Meyer will try and piece back together in 2036! That car tied the wacky 70s with the tradition of the Ardun and the roots of rodding. From memory of Nats articles, it was quite the Gymkhana competitor as well?

There is a rod run activity that needs to be revived!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Can I get an Amen for the Gymkhana?

10. Dave, I need some major info, here. Werksman built a "WIDENED" 27 T with a blown Hemi in the rear, after he built the Ardun T. Which car was on eBay? Which car did your friend buy? I am distressed that either one of the cars was purchased to parts out. The Ardun T is the one of the best examples of a "HOT ROD" built around "traditional" style, with "traditional" driveline and "owner" built in the "garage" BUT, with just enough of "owner/builder" attitude and "personal" expression saying "built his way!!!" The car was "back to the future" before most of the new "traditional", "old school", "rat rod" fans, enthusiasts, builders or wannabes were aware of hot rods. The rear hemi 27 T was a reminder of the ''Speed Sport" drag race roadster from the 60's. In the 70's, both cars were so radical and so uniquely constructed, for "street roadsters" that, they kinda got lost in the "restrod" shuffle of the 70's. All the people that, believe real hot rods weren't built after 1960 should open the vision a bit and study both of Werksman's cars. Anyway, Dave tell me more info on which car was broken up, what's happening to the body and chassis and I can understand some one buying a complete running Ardun engine but, breaking up a milestone car ( the yellow ardun T) just seems ???????????????. Give us as much info as you can. Thanks.

11. I always wondered what that oriental letering on the gas tank meant. Anyone got an idea? Old Rod, can you ask Cotton?

Thanks,

Dennis

12. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Earlier today I E-mailed my friend in Oregon about this thread, and here is his reply:

"The T asked about was not the car I bought. Cotton buit two Ts in the '70s. One was featured in a road test by Spencer Murray when he was an R&C editor. The other was a rear engine Hemi, not Ardun, T called project 2000. I've been in very recent contact (today) with Cotton. I sent him the Kelsey wheels off the T I bought, for his current project. He is recreating his first '70s Ardun T with a CAE straight axle, Franklin QC rear, 6x2 intake on an original Ardun, and K-H wire wheels instead of CenterLines like the '70s T had. Cotton is 73 years old and still works on and builds real hot rods every day. A very nice and intelligent man that I share a good realitionship with."

If you still want more information, I'll try to help if you phone me at (602) 233-8400.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

13. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

If anyone wants the American rodder Feature on this car - I can email it to them. PM me.

Cheers

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A wonderful, innovative car. It may not have influenced many other builders, but it didn't owe much to anybody else either.

15. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Dennis: Maybe we don't want to know! I will be visiting Cotton in the next
    couple of weeks and will find out.
    Bob

16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

WoW , I didn't know Cotton was that old, sure doen't look that old! A super nice guy and so is his son Matt.. They were at Abombers show a few weeks back and had the chance to talk to them. Great guys!!
    Some of the work they turn out is just stunning, I know Matt has open a shop in Barrington and is building a project right now.. I can't wait to see it done!

17. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Ancient Chinese proverb means 'My muffler is bigger than yours.' Was this guy way ahead of the times or what?
    Awesome pics of a killer car!!!

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

This one has the twin frame to Cotton's T...both were built on the same jig and this one belonged to a friend of Cotton's.

20. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

I am being told the symbols are Chinese and it is someone's last name. I should be able to find out the name, could be Worksman, unless my Chinese born co-workers are fucking with me!

21. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I love that car, if its the one I'm thinking of it was featured in StreetRodder several years ago. I'm almost possitive on that though.

Drew

22. Foul

Foul

:confused: It says "Rich." I spoke with Cotton last year and remember asking him about it, but forget now what he said. I'll have to go back through my notes.
    d

23. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

One of my favorites as well...very raw and minimal...yet detailed to the hilt!

I have a bit more on it but some additional pages are still tied up on that damn Starphoto site.
    I'll put what I have up now and add the rest later IF I can retrieve it.

I believe this article was from Popular Hot Rodding.
    Used to enjoy that mag...

24. Dennis:
    I just looked at the picture and figured it out immediately!It only appears to be Chinese lettering;it actually says,"HE
    MI T" or," HEMI T" Check it out.
    Ray

25. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

LMAO! Once you see it, it is obvious!!!

26. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

That does look correct, does seem obvious. I'm going to visit him in a
    couple of weeks, I'll find out for sure.

27. Well I'll be damned Ray. Guess you have to be in the lettering business for 40 years to catch sublties like that:D

Dennis

28. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Cotton's car is a Hall of Fame'r T roadsters for sure. Thanks for the pics guys.

Here's a shot of a friend's T. He knows Cotton and the influence on design is evident....

29. Also a big fan of Cotton's historically significant T. Here's a profile view.

[​IMG]

30. This profile of Stitch's T shows the similarities.

[​IMG]