Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Coupe (The Blus Grass Express) has it's history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blue collar guy, Oct 8, 2008.

1. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Just after the Midnight Mass Show in July I get a "PM" from a guy that knows a guy who built my car back in the day. After a few emails I finally got in touch w/Bill Watson of the "Watson & Young" painted on my doors.

I picked up the car from my brother-in-laws dad(Cy) back in '98. He and a buddy picked it up in 1970 from a guy that was from Texas but lived in Sacramento. Cy took the body and his buddy got the rest. The body sat on a pallet in the corner of his shop for over 30yrs when I finally talked him out of it.

I knew it was an old B-gas race car. So I put the car together the way I thought it would have been built in the 60's, BUT on what I could afford at the time. The car has evolved over the time I've had in running (Buick drums, Quick Change, bigger motor and aluminum wheels).

So back to "Watson." He built the car high school from a stock Model A. It was his first hot rod. He emailed me some of the early specs on the car and pictures. The car was raced all through Texas and one season he ran it on the West Coast. It also took 2nd place at the Houston Autorama. He said that the interior guy was so pissed about sewing in 1100 buttons for the tuck-n-roll. He also sent me a time slip from '61 and the car ran 12.32 at 118.63mph. The engine was a 30 over 283 (making it a 287ci -which answered another question why 287 was on the quarter glass) with corvette fuely heads, 11.1 to 1 compression, roller cam and aluminum rods. With a '39 Ford trans w/Zephyer gears which eventually got replaced with a Muncie 4spd. Out back it started with a banjo rearend and was upgraded to a Halibrand Quick Change. He ran 10" M&H slicks on Halibrand wheels.

Most of the pictures are from when the car was originally red. Which answers the question the why the dash is red. The oldest photo he has was from 1959 (his 1st yr in college). There were pic's of the chasis when he drove it on the street, the motor and trans, a couple from the car in his home shop, and a few at the drag strip(only one of which is when the car was painted blue like it is now). The last photo is of Herman "Painted by Herman" on the cowl.

I'm sick of typing now so we'll have Part 2 of the story later. Why did he name it "The Blue Grass Express"? And my first in person meeting with Bill Watson.

Attached Files:

2. T-Roy

T-Roy

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

3. saltracer219

saltracer219

Very,very cool indeed! Getting the real history on a hot rod is the icing on the cake. I'll be looking forward to the second half of the story. Thanks......

4. Thats great...I love that car

5. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

here are a few pictues of the car now.

Attached Files:

6. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

MAN , How sweet is that ?
    Love your car and love the story behind it....
    Its great that you could find out all the info that you dug up and to be able to speak with the man that did the work is fantastic.After all this time ,just fantastic.....

7. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

great story scott. will be tuning in for part two.

8. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

I'm looking for some trunk hinges for the back of my 31 model a coupe.Would you know were to get some like the ones you have. Trying not to put the handle back on the trunk lid.

Attached Files:

9. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

I got them at the hardware store.

10. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

October of 2004 I beleive, the Swanx did the Fall Fiasco in that little gravel lot. You and the Express come rolling through, people dropped their jaws, and I witnessed an older lady drop her food from the taco truck because the straight shot of exhaust blew dirt, gravel and whatnot all over.

That was one of the first times I saw that car and since then I have loved it. It has a personality that can not be explained, it is a Hot Rod!

Cool car, that story is awesome, I can't wait to see the second part!

11. skwurl

skwurl

I love suvivors. Wish I had more history on my car. I tracked it down to a guy that had killed himself. I left it alone after that.

12. bitchin ride man with some cool history..

13. eliguzman

eliguzman

i dig cool history! congrats

14. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Thats cool I love making old ladys drop ther food. Thanks for the good words .Scott

15. mikes51

mikes51

Congrats on find out about the history.

I was at Kingdon a few years ago and saw that fish tailing pass you made down the strip. For those who aren't from this area, I can vouch for the car being a runner, it's definitely not a poser.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  16. blackout

blackout

17. Rozzi

Rozzi

Very cool Scott. Looking forward to part 2!

18. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

19. Those old pics kick ass!! I wonder if people on here realize you drive (and sleep in) this car everywhere...haha.

Later, Bryan

20. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Here are two more pictures from Bill Watson. I'm leaving for Bakersfield early in the moring so I will post the second part when I get back. Thanks for the good feed back. Scott

Attached Files:

21. seret

seret

Thats cool!

22. bighankz

bighankz

Saw Scott and the "Bluegrass Express at a gas station this past weekend. Too cool!

Took a couple of pictures and added a mandolin and Martin guitar to make it bonafide.

I hope to share the entire story with the bluegrass world. Have you added the final part of the story?

You can email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
    Henry Zuniga
    California Bluegrass Association
    Director Hobbs Grove Bluegrass Festival
    Central San Joaquin Valley Activities VP

23. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

I've always wondered about the writing on the car myself. Great story, must be awsome to find the history of your car.

So where's part two?

24. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Love the pics and very kool!!

25. 31whitey

31whitey

Great feeling huh...

Its really crazy when you first talk to the builder of a survivor....Its like your both asking all these questions and saying thank you's...there is serious energy and good vibes in the air.

I can only hope to reunite the blue truck with its builder one day in person.

Now where the PART 2....Thats a rad coupe.

26. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Just got a rad gift today. Bill Watson who built my coupe in the late 50s and drag raced it in the early 60s dropped off his Build journal. Its cool to see what things cost back than and what parts he used. I wish I had this book when I got the body. Also there was a magazine photo from back in the day at the drags.

Attached Files:

27. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

New front tires

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

28. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402863869.384498.jpg Tim Sutton making my coupe look good. Look for it in the next Tradional Rod And Kulture.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Congrats on the mag feature. Wish I could see all the images in your post 27, however. Gary