Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rodders Journal show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GARY T., Aug 9, 2012.

1. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I see The Rodders Journal is having a car show in Baltimore Md---same weekend as Jalopy Showdown Drags

2. I read that in the latest RJ. Sounds like it could be an interesting event. I like the scrap book get together they are planning.

3. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Jay Fitzhugh is one of their editors (also one of the best damn writers on the planet) and he lives in Maryland.

4. To be held on the grounds of the Pimlico Racetrack, home of the Preakness. The scene of a lot of "horsepower" over the years.

5. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Kinda pricey--$50 pre-register, and don't know if they are getting a deal,or not,but rooms in the host hotel are around $300 a night

6. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Same weekend as the big football game down there?

7. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

What game--Do U have a schedule?

8. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Gary,
    I was thinking it might be the same weekend as Jalopyrama(near Balto,MD)
    I'm probably wrong and Gorgle is clear as to the Navy's football schedule for Oct.3,12
    I need a beer!
    Sorry for the confusion! Lemme look further.

9. Looks like the Ravens play Cleveland Thurs. night (Sept. 27) @ 8:20.

10. Jalopyrama #9 is Oct. 27th as far as I know.

11. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Yeh,its usually same wkend as Naval academy's homecoming game----don't know if it is this year though?

12. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Yep Lothiandon1940,you're right!
    Sorry fellas,I was talking out-my-ass!
    Navy at Air Force-Colorado Springs,CO Oct 6.

Still,hotel rates are ridiculously high?

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

10/27/12
    Navy @ East Carolina Greenville,NC
    per Navysports site.

14. FYI The Karb Kings' Mobtown Greaseball is the week-end before the Rodder's Journal show, (Sat. Sept. 22) on the other side of B-more in Dundalk. Always a fun show.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Too rich for my blood. Gouge the spectators not the participants. JMHO

16. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Why gouge anyone?

17. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Stick to doing magazines.......

18. ............I would agree with you, Tommy, except if I go it will be as a spectator!:eek: It does seem like a lot of money just to subject your vehicle to the streets of Baltimore.

19. willymakeit

willymakeit

I havent been able to find the magazine in Tulsa lately. Any reason why?

20. Curt Six

Curt Six

I'm also an Editor and full-time employee at The Rodder's Journal, and like Jay, I live in Maryland, just outside of Baltimore. I'm glad to see some of you guys are already interested in this show, and I also wanted to address a few concerns that have already been raised.

COST OF THE EVENT:
    This is a weekend-long rod run. The show will take place both Saturday and Sunday on the infield of Pimlico Race Course. We are also organizing a Friday afternoon cruise to the Chesapeake along with nighttime cruises to locations along Baltimore's harbor that incorporate a variety of entertainment. The $50 pre-registration gets one car and two people into all of it. We took a look at similar events around the country and arrived at a price that we thought was reasonable given everything we are offering our participants.

COST OF HOTEL ROOMS:
    The stock rate for a room in the host hotel is $359, but we have negotiated a rate for a substantial block of rooms at $172. This is a great waterfront hotel in the heart of Harbor East/Fells Point, a popular area in Baltimore with a ton of great bars, restaurants, and shops. We also have a block of rooms at another hotel located close to the event but in a suburban area that will be under $100.

SHOWDOWN DRAGS:
    We are aware that the show falls on the same date as The Jalopy Showdown Drags. We did everything we could to avoid that, and due to circumstances out of our control the conflict was unavoidable. We have been in contact with "Scary Larry" Garland (Jalopy Showdown Drags promoter) every step of the way. Larry is a personal friend of mine, and I've been a supporter of his events from the beginning. We will be offering a significantly discounted admission fee for those of you that attend his show on Saturday and come to ours on Sunday.

As far as sticking to doing the magazine, I know when Steve started The Rodder's Journal 18 years ago, there were a number of people who thought he shouldn't do that, either. This show may not be for everybody, just as The Rodder's Journal isn't for everyone. We think that Baltimore is a pretty cool town with a lot to offer: great scenery, excellent food, and all kinds of bars and other venues to grab a beer by the waterfront or catch a live band. Each event throughout the weekend is connected by smooth roads (a perk of the city hosting the Grand Prix was all the recent re-paving) that wind along the harbor. We think this show will combine the best parts of the city with the best parts of the Mid-Atlantic hot rodding scene.

And we're sticking to doing magazines, too - Steve is traveling as we speak, working to wrap up production on issue #56.

I hope those of you who have expressed an in the show plan to come check it out. I think it's going to be a pretty cool event.
    Curt

21. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Thanks for the info and response,Curt

22. ........Yes thanks for the update. I'm sure this took a huge commitment and a lot of organizing effort on the part of The Rodder's Journal. I hope it's a big success. Sounds like it will hopefully be a little more intimate (maybe not the best choice of words) than some of the huge events where generating income sometimes comes before creating a nice atmosphere. I'm still not sure Curt what a one day pass (say for driver and car) will be and any word on spectator cost yet?

23. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Curt Six,
    Nice to know we have more of a Rodders Journal presence here on the East Coast!
    Best wishes and hopes of success for the event!

Selfishly,I'd love to know why the greatest subscribed-rodding-publication-made takes so damned long to reach this part of the world? #!!%&!!# USPS!

24. .....There is quite a large amount of East Coast influence in the publication from writing, editing, photography as well as publishing.:)

25. Curt Six

Curt Six

You've hit the nail on the head. We've got plenty of space for plenty of cars (the infield at Pimlico has paved paths for cruising and is over 25 acres) but our hope is that with all of the activities we've made available it gives everyone a chance to hang out with each other and drive their cars. Like Steve said in his editorial, we've got plenty of activities planned, but we aren't requiring anyone to do much of anything.

I will have to post another update regarding the cost for the guys that are coming down on Sunday from Larry's show because I'm not sure what it is and Steve is on a plane right now. Spectator admission is $12 (or $20 for a 2-day pass) and kids under 12 are free.
    Curt

26. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Curt 6, Do you have to pre-register,and if not is the fee the same if you register at the event,and where at the event do you register?
    Thanks

27. Curt Six

Curt Six

You will be able to register at the show. There will be an entrance/gate for show cars only. Also, a number of people have sent me PMs regarding hotel room registration.

The Waterfront Marriott in Harbor East is the host hotel (410-385-3000), and we also have a block of rooms at the Crowne Plaza in Timonium (410-252-7373). Registration will open this Monday, August 13th. Let them know you are a TRJ Revival participant and you will get the discounted rate.

Both are great hotels. The Waterfront is within 10 minutes of the show site and 5-10 minutes of the other events we've got planned throughout the weekend. The Crowne Plaza is about 15 minutes from the show site in the other direction, and about 20-25 minutes from downtown.
    Curt

28. Clark

Clark

I'm gonna try to have my car done for this....last time I was at the Pimlico infield...it was a little crazy!! didn't even see a horse :)
    Clark

29. seatex

seatex

helluva stand up response, Curt! Helluva' stand up Mag, too. Class act all the way. wish I could make it, sounds like a great time............

30. pitman

pitman

Curt,
    thanks for clueing us in on the event and details.
    I worked on the first Pride-of-Baltimore tall ship as their engineer.
    The waterfront and the historic area are gems to visit.
    Knowing that there are $100 rooms may persuade me in favor of making the trip south,
    Pitman