Register now to get rid of these ads!

The New Little Pages

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Hey RF - You sending any to AUSTRALIA??? :)

2. An i-what???

Shit, I still have 8-tracks and cassettes. In stereo.

3. Cshabang

Cshabang

Picked mine up yesterday. I thought it was well worth the price....

4. mgbtc

mgbtc

Sunday afternoon here, we lust got home from Bakersfield, Western Street Rod Nationals, always a good turn out. Looking foward to getting a copy of the little pages, sounds interesting.

5. Amen, brother!!

I just happened to be in a bookstore last week and **!!POW!!** I see HELLMET's Calori recreation on the cover of a tiny mag. Total surprise.

I look forward to more of the little pages and hopefully will get to see one of my cars in there someday.

6. Looks cool, I read it my the magazine super store I go to here in Chicago up by Irving and Cicero... I usually read 4-5 and buy 2-3. :)

Regarding Ryan's earlier comments about digital vs. print... I have had a similar experience though in a newer era OT space. My friend and I started a website focused on late model LS power in 2001, this was after a few years of hanging on on an even older LS site... I did feel at times from 2001 to 2007 when we sold it that the print guys, who would typically be SORC, weren't sure how to co-exist with us, but now we are friendly back and forth. I was even a SORC stringer for an OT magazine for a while until they had budget cuts. I think both print and digital need to co-exist, and figure out what works and what needs to change.

John

past founder of LS1Tech (now 175K members)

7. Found mine @ Wally World, fantastic feature stories! Add a few real tech features (not-bolt on the latest kit) and I'm down with subscribing for 12 issues a year!

8. autobilly

autobilly

I'm sure that their rationale is along the lines of "If ya can't beet 'em, join 'em" and cash in along the way. It's just lucky for the Janets that they have the right people on hand to pull it off properly. That said, I agree that anything of quality along these lines is good for us all. I'll be looking out for a copy.

9. R&C's Little Pages Annual 2011 cover.jpg

I just picked my copy up today ... cool publication ... I'll definitely purchase it again next year.

The only other SIM logo.jpg magazine I read on a regular basis is R&C logo.jpg ... I've never had issue with it's content under Kevin (R&C Lee) Lee or Rob (RF) Fortier's leadership ... sure I could do without so many O/T Ads ... but my only real complaint is the low quality binding of Source Interlink periodicals ... although they are now using a little bit heavier paper stock (i.e., no longer tissue paper thin), the staple binding always tears right through the lightweight paper stock ... in fact, my July 2011 issue arrived in my mailbox with the centerfold of Russ (doubletubtrouble) Fruend's "Takeout T" already detached! :eek:

10. autobilly

autobilly

The HAMB (incl.TJJ) will always have one very great advantage over print, that is it is by it's nature live and for the people, by the people. You can't be more up-to-date and in-tune than that.

11. CHOP36

CHOP36

Did anyone buy one in Southeast Pa ? Barnes & Noble said they dont have it.

12. Went to Hastings in Sierra Vista, Arizona this afternoon - they had 5 - I bought 1 for $6.99 - they are charging the Canada price of 6.99 instead of the USA price of 5.99, they have put their own store price stickers on the cover of each one. What are you going to do, burn up gas driving around to see if you can find it somewhere else for the normal price? Oh well, I was just happy to get one.

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The passion you describe is exactly what drove the pioneers like Petersen, the Bonds (Road & Track), George Elliott (PHR) and others to establish magazines catering to car enthusasts.

However, your rant on "selling editorial" is misguided. Sure, there are whore jobs tied into a multi-page ad contracts, but there are also products traded for magazine project vehicles that help establish a one man shop as a viable business. This is especially true in the 4x4 industry. Some times going through five or six back issues of HOT ROD to find a What's New press release is easier than using the HAMB search!

I've been in this racket for 50+ years and figure there's room for both quality print and electronic forums.

14. The best thing about internet sites is that anyone can log on for free and post and read about things they like... the worst thing about the internet sites is that anyone can log on for free and post and read about things they like...

Magazines are neat because there is still something cool about opening up your mailbox or going down to your liquer store and seeing the things they like on paper and that you can hold them, and pick them up to read and look at them whenever you want.

There's no real worst thing about the magazines... except the time line and lack of video... but they have the ability to point us to the internet for that.

Sam

15. I couldn't find them at the local Booksamillion, so I ended up getting it at the grocery store. They are out there, you just have to find the right place!

16. sales strategy working ... tell the circulation dept..... HAMB has excellent VOODOO

BOUGHT ONE AND NEW TRAD ROD N CULTURE .."MARKS ZINGERS "

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I know what you mean.. I pulled my copy out of the mailbox to admire the cover with Russ' T on it. As I was gazing at the cover, I felt the magazine get thinner and before I realized it, the entire magazine minus the cover slipped out of my hands onto the floor. :eek:

18. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

i wasn't that impressed with it. to me it was ok.i found it and looked threw it. then set it back down and walked away. the mag is title rod & customs. well the got the rod part correct. it was all rods with 1 custom. i feel if your goon put out a mag that is suppose to be rod and customs, then it should be equal in both. im not a big hot rod fan, but there are few that i do like. i like customs more. its a lot better them ol'skool rods and all those other shit mags. hopefully the next one will have more customs in it.

19. I bought one today. Long Beach Pavilions, if anyone's wanting one. Looks and feels good.

And...I can hide it in my English book.

20. chip chipman

chip chipman

Can't find one in Sacramento? Anyone know where.

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Got one....two big thnapps up!! Good job Rob and Aaron.

My only question is what will this annual look like in 20 years, since it already has a 30 year head start on the aging process?

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  22. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Chop36,
    Try your local Acme Supermarket. I got mine at the Acme in Media.

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

On the contrary, I suspect a mention in one of Ryan or Jay's blog posts is worth as much or more to most guys here than the cover of R&C or Hot Rod.

As Ryan pointed out, that might be more exposure, too.

That being said, to me at least, the HAMB and print titles are only marginally in competition. The browsing and tactile experiences are just too different for me, and I choose to read each medium for different reasons and occasions.

I would have a Hot Rod Deluxe subscription right now if it weren't for all the pin-up girls.

-Dave

24. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I don't know. I'd love to have something of mine featured/on the cover of R&C. It's like having Mickey Mantle tell you that you have a nice swing!:cool:

If I weren't soo broke I'd subscribe to ANYTHING! Becoming an Alliance member would be first, of course.:eek:

25. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

I have bought and read Hotrod magazines since the mid 50's , heck, I have so many, I could not even count them. never the less read them all again. The magazines have lost sight of what hotrods are all about, just no substance. Their base will continue to erode until they reinvent content and understand what the readers want. Since I found "The Jalopy Journal", there is no need for print...Ryan, Job well done........

26. When to Books-a-millions and B&N in Clearwater and Palm Harbor... Neither had any... Still waiting to see/buy one.

27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I got the last three copies at Borders Books here by me (Detroit area)

28. Mike

Mike

I went to the Grand Canyon and bombed around northern Arizona this past weekend. I found the mag, of all places, at Safeway in Williams AZ. I grabbed 4 copies. Good job Rob, Aaron, et al.

Rob and Aaron, I do, however, have one small gripe. The very first time that I leafed through the mag, the center page just fell out. No big deal to me, but I thought you guys might like to know.

29. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

btt

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  30. I still like the magazines because I can't read the computer when sitting on the throne :eek: and YES some of us WV hillbillies have indoor plumbing :D