Register now to get rid of these ads!

Italian Body, American Bones.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 18, 2011.

1. skywolf

skywolf

How about 1963 ?

[​IMG]

2. oldthudman

oldthudman

Beautiful!..........That's a new one on me......Right Shelby used the 60°V8 to in the original Cobra.......Sunbeam Alpine Tiger used it too.........Rover/MG/Triumph used the 60° Buick for many years.......

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. oldthudman

oldthudman

4. oldthudman

oldthudman

Saw an Apollo GT in Vegas (64 or 65 IIRC).......Think it was black.(too long ago).....Very attractive car as I recall...........The little Buick was a nice engine...60° V8, all aluminum.......:)

Also saw a Morgan Plus 4 Plus (+4+) on the same street...(and the same time period) as well as a Lancia Florida......Not "hybrids" but interesting cars.......

5. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Did anyone mention the TVR Griffith? Another American (Ford) V-8 powered furrin' sporty car.

Attached Files:

6. oldthudman

oldthudman

Yep!.....Your right...................Too, IIRC, the "Bristol" used an American engine at one time.....

7. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

Hudson italia, one my favorites
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Jensens had American V8s also.

9. So many times I came close to buying a Muntz or an Iso but backed out. Kicking myself over and over and over...

Even an early fiberglass job would peak my interest nowadays, but the Cunningham would be my first choice.

10. CustomV8MGB

CustomV8MGB
    from Texas

How about a more common foreign body (British) with American bones (Ford 302)...

Attached Files:

11. My friend has a prototype Masseratti Bora with a Big Block Chevy engine in it... it was a California conversion that didn't make production but it's here in Wisconsin... funny thing is it weighs a couple pound less than original(?)!

12. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Bet you it goes three or four times as long between tuneups, not to mention rebuilds...

13. ScottV

ScottV

When I was in the Air Force stationed in England, one of my friends was notified that his father had died and he willed his estate to his son. It was quite a shock to my friend because he had never met his father (he actually did but did not know it was his father) when he went back to the states to settle the estate he found one of the things he inherited was a Bizzarrini that supposedly had belonged to the Shah of Iran and this guy won it in a Poker Game. Lost touch with the guy in 1988 and never heard much more about the story. I keep waiting for it to pop up at Barrett-Jackson or something like that.

14. As I'm living in Switzerland, I have to add to this list one of the last (now defunct) genuine swiss car manufacturers: Monteverdi.

The company was founded by Peter Monteverdi and they produced luxury and sports cars from 1967 to 1984. Most of them were equipped with Chrysler V8 engines (426 Hemi, 440, ...).

[​IMG]
    Monteverdi Hai

[​IMG]
    Monteverdi Hai

[​IMG]
    Monteverdi 375

15. oldthudman

oldthudman

Agreed!.......The Monteverdi was an elegant machine (I believe I mentioned the Monteverdi, but it's certainly worth repeating) that could easily be said exemplified the term Gran Turismo .....Chrysler engine IIRC and body Pietro Frua.................:)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  16. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel
    from Holland

Great car! Some more info and images here: http://www.coachbuild.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=50&g2_itemId=36491

17. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

sylvian has lots of shots of this stunning 1962 Dual Ghia in his profile here.
    [/QUOTE]

That is my 1962 Ghia L 6.4 Coupe. All original with just 28,000 miles. Virgil Exner and Ghia had some good years together...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Paul Y

Paul Y

^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is Beautiful.

Love the interior with matching luggage and the dash and centre console looks like something Jerry Anderson would have designed.

Lucky man, enjoy it.

P.

19. GlenC

GlenC

My personal favourite is the Jensen CV8, from the early to mid 60's, when the Jensen brothers were still running the show, prior to the Interceptor range. All ran Chrysler V8's, the CV8's ran 361-383, while the Interceptors ran 383-440 and apparently a handul of 426 hemis. Most ran 727 torqueflites, only a dozen or so manuals were ever built of either type. Theer was one prototype CV8 with the FF (formula fordson) all wheel drive, the system was fully developed for the Interceptors, the first production AWD passenger cars in the world.

The CV8 ran a factory designed fibreglass body over a centrally located tube chassis which also acted as the oil reserves. As a result, many of the 399 built are still on the road, no rust issues!

OK, pics....

Attached Files:

20. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Here's another Monteverdi (1968). Chrysler 440-V8 / body by Frua. Great combination, excellent driver...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Deuces

Deuces

That's me!!!...:D:eek::D

22. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

When ive seen the title i thought you were talkin about me dammit! :D

That is my 1962 Ghia L 6.4 Coupe. All original with just 28,000 miles. Virgil Exner and Ghia had some good years together...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.[/QUOTE]

Your car is beautiful in so many ways i duno what to say about it.
    The Hudson Italia is nice beast too.

23. GlenC

GlenC

One of my 'dream cars' is the Jensen CV8. Pretty much hand built in England in the 60's, the early series had 360 Chryslers in them, the later ones 383's.
    There were only 399 of them ever built, and many of them are still on the road due to fibreglass bodies and central tube chassis.

Then they went on to produce the Interceptors which you blokes would know, but by the the Jensen Brothers were gone.

They can still be bought for $30,000 or so, not bad for a rare, exotic car!

Cheers, Glen.

Attached Files:

24. Velocetwo

Velocetwo
    from California

1973 Iso grifo w Ford 351C

Attached Files:

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love every one of these cars but my favorite is the Facel Vega, I wish I had the cash money for one.

26. Velocetwo

Velocetwo
    from California

Bizzarrini SBC w 4 webers

Attached Files: