Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting Banjo Rear to Modern Axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31aBoy, May 30, 2007.

1. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I have a bone stock model a I purchased a little over a year ago. I'm gathering parts, and now have come to the rear end.

I could use the S-10 rear end like a lot of guys do, but I like the stock look of the Banjo. I plan on 300-350 horse SBC and 700r4. I've heard about converting to 9 inch rear axles. So I did a little research, didn't come up with much, only this website: http://www.hotrodworks.com/index.asp

They have a kit ($850) to do this conversion. Is it the only available kit? Has anyone done it? Lets hear the positives and negatives.

Its awfully expensive for me as it wont be seen unless someone crawls under the car, but I'd like to use my "A" Banjo. Also, what gear ratio?

Any and all thoughts, experience, suggestions appreciated.

2. There was a tech post on this many many moons ago.

Goodluck, anything would be better than the key and tapered axle format, although i plan on running it :)

3. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

this has come up a couple of times....

pm me your email and i'll send you some you some pages from street rodder 1985 by david stone......

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

5. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I recently installed a complete 9" setup out of a '70s Ford half ton truck under the back of my '29 Dubble A truck. Using the same principles, you could probably do the same with your A frame.

I used everything off of the '70 Ford - 9" rear, springs, shackles, and brackets, and everything fit wonderfully, and pretty much looks like it belongs there.

My frame is 39.5" wide where the rear bracket mounts, and 34.75" wide where the front bracket mounts. Where the spring eyes mount to the brackets the length of the spring is 55".

I'll post the link to the thread where I did the install in a few minutes. Hopefully it'll help you decide.

Here it is:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179243&highlight=Dubble+A

6. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Lots of great info, am I the only one who wants to do this??

7. Your Model A rear will not stand up to 300 HP. With that kind of power you need something a lot stronger.

8. Andy

Andy

Something designed for 40HP will not hold 300. The 39-48 would be a lot better but very marginal for sure.

9. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Even with upgraded axles?

10. I don't know of any way to put modern axles in an A banjo. You can upgrade later banjos. But that only fixes the key spline issue and the problem with wheels taking a hike when an axle breaks. It does nothing to improve the strength of the ring and pinon. The later banjos with late axles will handle a mild small block if you are careful. I am converting a 46 banjo to a quick change and running late axles behind an Olds 215. About 200 HP. I'd be uncomfortable running any thing stronger.

11. 31aBoy

31aBoy

Good to know, anybody else?

12. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

We offer a new differential for the 'A' rear end that will allow us to covert them to 9" style axles. It uses the stock 'A' ring and pinion, but uses new axle gears and spiders internally. It requires machining the axle housings for seals and using '40 style juice brakes and our bearing adapters.

Bib is correct, in that the pinion support is not as strong in the 'A' rear as the V8 rear. It does not have the 3rd pinion support bearing that the V8 rears do. If you're planning on running it hard, I would consider using a V8 style rear end.