Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC cam specs? what do I need?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briggs&strattonChev, Jul 3, 2005.

1. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Howdy, i'm rebuilding the 3-fiddy in an 85 chevy shorty stepside, and i'd like to put in a cam as big as I can go, without having to change valve springs for something stronger. This isnt going to be any sort of "hot rod" motor, just a basically stock, 30 over 350, that i'd like to get some more power out of. The carb is a good rebuilt quadrajunk (before this, I didnt know it was possible for "good" and "quadrajet" to come in the same sentence lol).

Whaddya think?

Anyone have the specs of a cam that would fit this application?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Briggs

2. Steve M

Steve M

The Comp XE256 should fit your needs.

3. Mutt

Mutt

I think it would be silly to put in "a cam as big as I can go, without having to change valve springs" in a basically stock 350 engine.

The cam should work with the rest of the motor, including the intake, exhaust, ignition, compression, and if it's an automatic, the converter.

Call the cam manufacturers, and give them the specs of your motor, and they will give you the best selection for your setup.

Mutt

4. brandon

brandon

i was going to say a comp 268 high energy ......had one in my 48 chev ...and my 63 valiant......had a nice idle and would work with a stock converter......brandon

5. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Use the Summit 1102 cam (204/[email protected],.420..442" lift).

You really can't get away with running much more lift without wearing out a set of stock springs pretty quickly.

There ain't no shame in putting in a new stock Chevy cam either. Part # 968711 (195/[email protected],.390/.410" lift), the same cam came in 200, 270, 295 & 300 HP 350 engines. A fresh one (without the worn-out lobes that most of us have experienced driving old Chevy engines) runs damn fine and gets good economy, especially in a parts-runnin' half-ton.

6. Derek

Derek

This is usually the best thing to do in my experience. Even the most experienced builders that I know will consult with the manufacturer before making a final decision on the cam. That'sa waht those tech line guyus are there for and that's what they do. Give 'em a try.

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I threw a reground cam ($40) with 280 degree duration and .480 lift in a stock, high mileage junkyard 350 for a camaro years ago. Ran really good until I let my brother borrow the car and he limps home with a rod knocking. :(
    Best advice though is what Mutt said above and call a few cam grinders for specs.

Josh

8. I dodnt know shit about anything -BUT I do know what wokrs well when I drive it!
    I use a stock cam [or clone grind] of a 1973 Camaro Z-28....it had a 350 cu in and 350 Horsepower motor....it is PERFECT for an auto trans car and aboput as much as will work with stock convertor and stuff.....