Register now to get rid of these ads!

SDRA Dragster For The Coast Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old28, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Old28

Old28

Well I think it is time to start my build thread and introduce myself. My name is Tom Welch, live in Bakersfield, CA (20 min from Famoso Raceway). I have been racing front motored dragsters and altered for the past 35 years. Sold my N/E-2 altered 2 years ago and want to get back in the seat to have some fun. I was ready to buy the second frame that “ThingyM” built about year back, but found a 1929 RPU hot rod basket case and went for it. Well it’s a driver now and I needed a new project. The same chassis and some parts were for sale again, so I jumped on it. For the last few months I have been collecting parts to start my build.

I have met some of the HA/GR group out at the track and hope to talk to all at the races. I have read most all the threads on the HAMB site over the last 3 years and I am going to do what a lot of you have told others when asked about the car they want to build “ Build What You Want, Race It and Have Fun”. Like Dick (old6rodder) says, someone has to build the first one like he did out here. I will be building an SDRA car with a Chevy 250” and a PG (slush box) with L-78 Bias Ply and a mustang rear end.

I may be the only one out on the coast (born and raised out here and only know one coast) and will run with the open wheel cars and with any luck maybe someone else will put one together so I have someone to race. Either way I will be making passes, having fun and that’s what it’s all about.

I will put in lots of pictures so I don’t have to write a lot (not my best trait). I hope the build is interesting and suggestions are appreciated. I am more a driver than a fabricator, so this should be interesting. Hope the car will fit in with the HA/GR group even though I won’t be racing them.

Plans are to have the car race ready for the ANRA Opener next April 2012

Attached Files:

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Excellent!

Welcome to the gang. Looking forward to your new build ....... and trying to bracket ya in Open Wheel (I'm incredibly inconsistent). :D

You'll be racing us, and pitting with us, if you want to. Remember, it's only the HAMBie that's designated for HA/GR, the fun & games are open.

Hope you can make an occasional Eagle Field as well. Flag/grudge racing's made for us (or we for it, rather). :cool:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. quick7

quick7
    from Tulsa OK

Welcome to SDRA. Tou'll have more fun,less problems and less down time
    with the 250 and powerglide. I think there are 2 such combos being
    built in the Tulsa area right now along with a 258 based Jeep motor
    and 240 Ford.
    Should have at least 8 cars,maybe more in this area next year,
    all with autos.

4. Old28

Old28

old6rodder -- Dick, thanks very much for the welcome and invite to pit with the group. We have talked many times about these cars over last few years. I think it will be fun to have a different car in the mix. Maybe ThingyM will keep his 194 and I would have a car to match race during qualifying. I will make as many Eagle Field meets as I can and I hope to just spectate at the July one this year to check it out.

quick7 -- Thanks, I think it will be a nice ride when I get it done. Its been almost 3 years since I was last in the seat and I am looking forward to it. I am going to build the car by the current SDRA rules so I can compare car to car performance and driver ability (this is a gray zone on my part). Are there any Ford 300 in the works? I would really like to see one out here.

5. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

TOM glad you made the move maybe you will get something startedon west coast.we have had 360 hits on the sdra rules site Tulsaracewaypark .com forum this year which is 1.75 hits a day since posted nov 30 2010

6. Old28

Old28

mudflap261 -- Well I sat down last night and said I needed to move on a build thread with the hope that you all will keep me inline (spoken like a Chevy 6 guy) and on track so I have the car ready for next season. Thanks for all the information you passed my way. It would be great if we had another car out this way, but time will tell. We have a great group of HA/GR out here and a fine guy in Butch (ANRA) to help use run this type car.

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Many have voiced the opinion that two versions of the HA/GR concept would only split the devotees, cause rifts, and doom either's chances of hanging in. This I've heartily disagreed with since day one, and I believe we're seeing the actuality of it more every day.

The two outlooks on the concept feed two rabid styles of racers, neither of which is in conflict with the other. Rather than splitting some mythical unified group, it actually brings together two camps of folks enjoying a similar style car. It's my firmly held opinion that there'd be fewer of us if either type hadn't come about.

I look at it like fighting with a cousin. Yeah, we have (and enjoy) our differences, but should an outsider step in ....... he best step right back out again, and quickly. :cool:

8. Old28

Old28

old6rodder -- Dick, I agree 100% with you. I think it can only help to carry on what has started.

I know you said that it is hard for the HA/GR to run there thing with only 2 qualifying sessions at the ANRA races and I do know what you mean, but I would love to see the look on Butch's face if the HA/GR & SDRA cars made up half the open wheel class.

9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Oooooh, I think I almost had a woodie! :D

Butch'd love it, the first thing he said way back when, before we even got to run, was "I wish you had twenty of'em." :cool:

He's been advocating the slushpumper's version right along (better suited to brackets), doesn't care as much for the discburners among us. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  10. Old28

Old28

old6rodder -- Well I don't think 20 is possible for near future, but I think we might have 10-12 HA/GR - SDRA cars at Bakersfield in the next two years.;)

And the Open Wheel Class has had 20-25 cars at most sessions, we could easily form half of the field.

That can only help the cause to support Butch (ANRA) and Rocky (Eagle Field).

11. quick7

quick7
    from Tulsa OK

To answer your question about the 300 Fords:
    2 are being built,one should run this year and one ready for next
    year.
    1 running a C-4 the other a Powerglide.

12. Old28

Old28

quick7 -- It will be interesting to see how they run, should be real competitive. Let us know the results if one runs this year.

13. Old28

Old28

Got the chassis in the garage, don't have no real shop.:mad:

Set the seat and axle in to see what it looked like. I like it.:D

This is a nice solid chassis out of ThingyM shop and we will add second loop and helmet bars later in the build. This is a little different to have a built chassis and then make your motor/trans set-up fit it. Most of the time it's the other way around.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      97.8 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      98.2 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      90.2 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      115.6 KB
      Views:
  14. bobw

bobw

Classy Chassis! You're gonna have lots of fun building and racing. You put your roadster pickup together fast.

Nice to see the acceptance for deviations from the HA/GR requirements, out there.

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's because we are all a bunch of old deviants. :p

16. Welcome to the group.

You have a fine looking chassis to start build an excellent car. As for building a SDRA car! Fully 99% of the people who will look at your car in the pits amongst the other HA/GR’s won’t be able to tell the difference. And that’s great point of theses cars. It doesn’t really matter what you build because this is fun racing.

If you want to build an ADRA car, I say build it the way you want and bring it out. You will be welcome by me and I think everyone else on the Left Coast. I for one won’t have a problem lining my car up against yours. I may need a good driver to compete, but that the fun of it.

Can you imagine a track announcer saying “here’s a pedal car against an automatic, watch how they leave.” Now that's fun.

Skip Pipes

17. Old28

Old28

bobw -- Bob, thanks for the compliment on the roadster. It will be ready for the ANRA opener April 2012 come H--l or High water, witch we have little of out here. You know from all the threads that we have a great thing going out on the coast and I wish you were here to run with both type cars, you would fit right in.:)

64DODGE 440 -- Tom, we have not meet yet but please keep the "BIG WORDS" to a minimum as I spent most of my school years in Ventura surfing when I should have been in class.;)

Skip Pipes -- Skip, that is one fine looking HA/GR you have put together, I can't wait to see it run. As I said to old6rodder last night this has got to be a win/win situation to have a group of HA/GR & SDRA cars in one place at the same time. I think the races between the cars will be a lot of fun. As for the driver, if I wanted to win most of my races I would kick me out of the seat. At 250# it will take a real solid build on the motor just to get us going, but we will all have FUN.:D

18. Old28

Old28

Well just had to try the seat out and see if this chassis will fit
    "my wide frame" ;) Looks like it will do fine.

I got the rear end all cleared of bracket and ready to mount. It is a Ford Mustang 8.8 with traction lock, need to change the gears to 4.10 or 3.90.
    Going to pull axles and drums and replace with 5 on 4.5 setup so they will fit the rims I have.

All chassis and running gear will be coated with the best "old school powder coating" Rattle Can Rust-Oleum Hammer Tone Dark Bronze. Rims will be in Allis Chalmers Orange. Still looking for a set L-78 used tires so I don't have to hand my wallet to Coker.

We are moving a little slow, but we are moving.

Attached Files:

• 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      108.2 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      119.9 KB
      Views:
    • 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      115.3 KB
      Views:
    • 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      122.6 KB
      Views:
    • 34.jpg
      34.jpg
      File size:
      112.9 KB
      Views:
    • 37.jpg
      37.jpg
      File size:
      111.1 KB
      Views:
  19. ThingyM

ThingyM

Tom.. See if you can find 2 pairs of tires.. Nothing around here for sure..New ones up here in Signal Hill. Almost $300.00 for the pair...

20. Old28

Old28

ThingyM -- Ya Dick, You looking for a set also, I know the ones from Coker are $280 plus shipping. Most of Cokers like the Firestone for my 29 RPU are shipped from warehouse in Fresno. Shipping is not to bad. SDRA allows 6" wide Bias or radials, I may go that way if I can find some cheap. The L-78 would be my first choice.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  21. Old28

Old28

Well I got some work done on my trans mount. In the use what you got mode I cut out a 6" trans drop from part of a 22 T frame I had and cut it down to a 3" drop. My plan was to bolt it in with tabs from the frame, but it did not look that good so I added tube to the ends and will weld it in. Shortened the mounting plate so it all fit better.

Started putting my front wheel together today. Need to blast/clean and paint. Some pictures in a few days. Still looking for some MC shop fronts tires. Most shops won't even give or sell used tires (Calif-the # one law-suit state).

Attached Files:

22. Old28

Old28

Just a few more pictures of parts I picked up at swap meet and on the HAMB.

Got a set of bare front hubs and pressed some new wheel studs in. The hairpins were a find at Long Beach Swap Meet and will look nice with the drilled axle. The front wheels are 1933-34 Ford 17" From the HAMB and I will put some MC tires on them. Found some new ones on the bay for a nice price and they fit the 3 3/4" wide rim real good.

Hope to get the rear axle mounting plates cut & fitted this next week.

Attached Files:

23. bobw

bobw

It's coming along quickly. Nice parts you are gathering. I like the trans crossmember.

24. ThingyM

ThingyM

Holy Smokes,,, And I haven't even touched mine yet..Tom, The way your going, You'll have it done for the next ANRA meet.. Looking Good Buddy....

25. Old28

Old28

bobw -- Thanks Bob for the good word. My fab skills are "light years away" from the parts you and others on here turn out, but I try to make them good looking and "Safe". I don't have a lot of parts laying around so I have to work the swap meets and the HAMB classifieds on a regular bases. This car will not be as inexpensive as some, but as Dick (ThingyM) said it is a lot less money than the Nostalgia Eliminator 2 & 3 cars we were both running.:)

ThingM -- Dick, that what Butch said at the April race "you got 2 months get with it". I hope to have it as a complete roller by the August ANRA meet, then spend Fall/Winter building the motor. With your fab skills and shop you will have your flat head V8 ready for the Finals in Oct. :D

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Over half the fun in these builds is making stuff for the car and scrounging bits wherever you can find them...Keep up the good work, you are doing a great job and when you get done it will be "your car". That is the best part when people ask who built it and you can just grin and say you did.

27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Catagorically.

I have a well practiced look for the question "Where d'ya buy one of those?".
    It's part confusion and part lack of comprehension. :confused:

:D

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Wow, that's one BRIGHT red, Sir. :D

29. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Founding Floater

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Crab's Pictures from the 2011 "Night of Fire" Jet Car Races
    I got my pics uploaded!
    Here are the pictures from the "Night of Fire" races yesterday. July 9th 2011:

http://www.crablogic.com/nightfire2011.htm

CRAB
    This is stolen from the Duckus Crappus webb site, A Tulsa area hot rodders webb site. Joe

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  30. Old28

Old28

64 DODGE 440 -- Thanks Tom, I have been collecting parts for a few months and that is half the fun of a build. The nice thing about the HA/GR & SDRA cars is that they are all different, but have the same idea of bringing back the early racing.

Old6rodder -- Dick, ain't that the truth. Some think you can just order one up and be on track next week.:rolleyes: With the hammer tone dark bronze chassis & running gear, Allis Chalmers Orange wheels and purple body panels to go with the "Juice Bucket 4" theme, it may not be the quickest car but you will know we are there having fun making passes.

Joe Hamby -- Joe, thanks for the pictures of the race. What kind of times are the three car running? What type/size motor are in each one? Stepping aside from our cars that Black 40 Willys is one fine looking old school gasser. Any time you got some pictures of SDRA or HA/GR drop them in on my thread for all to see, with what little I can do, I want to see both type cars be a success out on the coast.