Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ralph Lauren's Collection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that was a nice program...got it in HD...just sweet. There is another one I have been looking at called " Chasing Classic Cars ". There is some nice stuff there as well

3. really was a neat show...

my favorite scene is lauren, replete with over the ear hearing protection, sitting mid-ship in his McLaren F-1 and them blasting down a country road...

cool stuff.

4. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Damn, shows like this make me wish I owned a TV. Anyone want to upload it somewhere? PLEASE...

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Ryan, I recorded it and kept pausing when they did the front-to-back overhead pass of the green Bentley cockpit...awesome dash.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. DLipp

DLipp
    Member Emeritus

The Bugatti with the exposed seams I saw at Barrett Jackson in the mid 90's. You should have heard it run, WOW is all I can say. It had a tone that I will never forget.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

God, that just gave me a ton of inspiration. These cars are just a overload of beauty. I am taking notes, and there will be much of this used in the construction of my coupe. You right, black on black can never be wrong but throw a little wood grain in and now you have a recipe for a masterpiece.

8. Caught that the other day. Pretty amazing stuff. The guy has great taste. I especially liked the Alfa they restored, it got my heart pumping. The one shot of that car turning towards camera in slow motion with the headlights a-blazin' said it all.

9. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Most of those cars were restored here in our shop over the last 25 years.
    They've given me a lot of inspiration for my 5W.
    Some of the stuff they did in the '30's is timeless.
    Check out some others at: www.paulrussell.com
    I'm looking at the Atlantic as I type.

10. oaktree

oaktree

Great editorial! There is much to appreciate with these automobiles. It is amazing how some of the rods today mirror these cars. I would point out Zach's rod with its lines and windshield. Thanks Ryan!

11. I watched it in HD on Saturday, October 6th ... a simply amazing collection ... and very well done program.

Loved the scenes getting the 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C2900 Mille Miglia finished in time ... and the great lengths the rigging crews went through to get some of the cars onto the second floor of the museum.

I was gonna post a thread about the Discovery Channel program here on the H.A.M.B. ... but thought it may be too O/T ... so I was pleasantly surprised when I logged into the Jalopy Journal this AM and saw that Ryan chose it as the topic of his daily Blog!

12. Thanks for the pictures - the man has put together a wonderful collection of beautiful and properly restored vehicles. That was a great program to watch.

13. portiadog

portiadog

I think I've watched that hour long show about 6 times in the last month or so. The cars just continue to amaze. I could have done without some of the fashion runway shots, but seeing the cars in HD was great, and knowing that they get driven is ever better.

14. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

I was there - It was Amazing!

There was a fantastic presentation of each vehicle, which I spent a long time studying each vehicle's lines and artistry.
    They and a big screen, with projected films of Ralph Lauren driving such cars as the bently blower on public roads! I could see them And hear them through the film,,,AMAZING!

The best part was in the gift shop. I purchased a VERY rare Museum published hardcover that showcases each vehicle in the show and and stellar photography. If you can find this special exhibit book, BUY IT, You won't be disappointed!

15. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

I think this is pretty cool. didnt you say in an earlier post that he keeps all his cars licensed and insured so they can be driven anytime?

16. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't think he has many American cars at all... I know he has a '48 Ford woodie that's all stock, but past that I'm not sure.

18. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

[​IMG]

Everything I own would be gone for this car. seriously...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great collection and a very well done TV production. I was hoping this was the first of many private collection programs. There are so many great collections out there and we only get to see one car per year if we attend the right meet, a grand tour like this one is very special.

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

"I don't think he has many American cars at all... I know he has a '48 Ford woodie that's all stock, but past that I'm not sure."

He used to drive a 36 Ford PU into Telluride to get groceries. Also double parked a Ferrari Daytona with the engine running in front of the drug store to pick up a prescription every once in awhile.

21. repoguy

repoguy

That's pretty cool.

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

He's not a Hot Rodder .....

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nope, not at all... He's a clothing designer...

He has a passion though and from what I understand he's a pretty cool guy.

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Damn, I don't see a SBC in the bunch! How could he have missed out having one of the world's greatest engines?

25. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

Yes ryan that is true, and that book i mentioned, takes that perspective. The perspective of a clothing designer who has a passion for all design, even automotive. Then text and information all revolve around lauren love of design. Great Book!

26. cool show...lots of rolling artwork there...watch for his new fall line featuring flat black and mexican blanket cable knit sweaters...probably not in this lifetime

27. autobilly

autobilly

28. That was a great show, some of the cars are just jaw dropping gorgeous in person. If I can locate it tonight I will try to post pics from the show. They sure aren't as good as the book but they are cool anyway. I truly love the Bentley - if I could get one of those someday I would feel that I would never need another car.

29. Thanks Ryan, there are so many inspirational details in those cars,since function,was of utmost importance. Although, form was also incorporated,in every little aspect,of most every detail too. Magnificent mechanical beauty,at its finest.:D

30. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

He's not a Hot Rodder .....

The man has an talent for form and function. As much as I like traditional hot rods, early Ferraris have much more style and function going for them than the average tradtional hot rod. Lauren's collection is a collection of true hot rods to me.