Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Name - Flyin' Brick II (car #18)
    Status - racing
    Team - "Geezerspeed"
    Class - HA/GR & HA/GmR (HAMB/Gas Modified Roadster)

Barona launch.jpg

Chassis: '19 Buick (severely shortened & well butchered).
    Engine: '60 225" Chrysler "slant" six.
    Carbs: three 1.75" HIF6 SUs.
    Clutch: Hemi Performance, with steel flywheel & QuickTime SFI bell.
    Gearbox: '62 Valiant 3 sp. (shortened).
    Rear end: '67 Ford 8", 4.62>1, locked, rigid, offset to right, Coker 15" bias street hides.
    Front end: mostly '29 Ford, dual 1/4 eliptics & bones, 19" cycle tires.
    Wheelbase: 92"
    Weight: 1320 lbs.
    Body: '24 Overland touring (shortened), '28 Dodge truck hood, mutt radiator shell.

Best 1/4 - 12.424 @ 101.67
    Best 1/8 - 7.886 @ 88.96

Records:
    '13 - First side engine HA/GR & HA/GmR
    '13 - 3rd in Open Wheel class, ANRA III, Famoso
    '13 - HAMBie, ANRA IV, Famoso
    '13 - Top Open Wheel Qualifier, ANRA IV, Famoso
    '14 - HAMBie, ANRA I, Famoso.
    '14 - HAMBie, ANRA II, Famoso.
    '14 - Non-Street Flatheads & Sixes class winner, 4 Ever 4's Antique Nat's, Fontana.
    '15 - HAMBie, ANRA I, Famoso.
    '15 - HAMBie, ANRA II, Famoso.
    '15 - Second in Non-Street Flathead & Sixes class, 4 Ever 4's Antique Nat's, Fontana.
    '15 - HAMBie, ANRA III, Famoso.
    '15 - Open Wheel class Winner, ANRA III, Famoso (first HAMBster to do it).
    '15 - HAMBie, October Meet, Eagle Field.
    '16 - HAMBie, ANRA I, Famoso.
    '16 - HAMBie, ANRA III, Famoso.

This car is the "extrapolation" of the Flyin' Brick car, in this thread.
    Build photos here.
    Build thread here.
    Favorite video here.
    Second favorite video here.
    Third favorite video here.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

And the journey continues. :p

3. Old28

Old28

Glad to see you started a new build thread for HA/MGR. Was looking through your build photo's and spotted another project under a tarp, what up guy. inquiring mines want to know :confused: or maybe I'm just nosy.:rolleyes:

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

It does, it does! :D

That's Cassandra, a lakes style bucket I started many years ago, swapped to Russ, then re-inherited when Russ died. She's on my schedule for some alterations and finishing up next summer if the pocketbook permits. I'll then give'er back to Russ' son Robbie.
    Photos of the original build're in her own album via my "Cassi" sig link.

She has more history & back stories already than most of the cars I've finished. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 13, 2013

5. Old28

Old28

Well Dick, that is a fine old style hot rod and "paying it forward" to the younger hot rodders is a fine thing.;):)

6. bobw

bobw

Dick,
    What steering box is in Cassie?

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

If memory serves, it's out of a Ford truck, but I don't recall what year or model. The long sleeve (for the output shaft) was originally bolted to the frame rail vertically.

8. bobw

bobw

Thanka for the information, Dick. I'm in love with Cassi.

9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Dick was too, but that's another story from our far distant past. :D

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

HEY!!! '63 wasn't all THAT long ago. :mad:
    Oh hell, I guess 50+ years WAS that long ago. :(
    Ah, high school crushes. :rolleyes:

Well, Kiddies, I stripped the 'Brick down, and tucked in the mini-spool that Joe gave me. I have a bit of clutch tinkering to attend to Monday, then she'll go back together for Eagle Field.

I finally got tired of trying to balance'er perfectly enough to run an open rear, and the new configuration just made it harder. If it works out as hoped, I'll save my pfennige up for one of Ford's "TracLoc" units next year. If not, we'll see.

Also working on a tin cover for the trailer & car. One that can be flipped up to be used as a camping "tent-esque" structure right on the trailer. Am I cheap, or am I cheap? :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  11. storm king

storm king

I'll be interested in hearing how you like the spool. Never driven with one, but just installed one in our Scamp that's going together.

12. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Nothing wrong with that Dick I have a bunk that folds down in the front of my homebuilt trailer. Works in a pinch if I go to a meet by myself.

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

OH GOD! The first HA/GmR with an enclosed trailer that won't be a modern "Toy Box"? The world is going to hell in a hand basket. What's next, added space for a spare engine and tranny for the "Big Meets"? Just kidding Dick. I know you need the added sheet metal of the trailer to put all the sponsorship logos on. :D

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

First time for me as well. It's certainly not my first choice for a full width rear, but when I re-clocked the cam to bring the torque lower on the tach, in addition to rather seriously messing with the lateral weight distribution (with the new configuration), I made'er a lot harder to pedal well. Pretty much just fried one hide then, in all the gears (including reverse if I forgot :eek:). Of course I wouldn't actually weld the spiders, ala '50, sooo ....... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I still have just the one "sponsor" (technically ;)), Mike. But NOW yer boy wants me to use that billboard logo he paid for, so I need a bit (lot) more sail area on the trailer. I already told'im I wouldn't paint the car his company colors. :mad:
    :p :D

Yeah, Kay & I use a self-inflating mattress in the bed of our 3/4 ton Dodge for more local meets. We make Eagle a non-hobby funded "holiday" though, so hit a motel for that one. It's a bit easier on the old marriage, eh? :D

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  15. Old28

Old28

Well old6, you haul Kay up to these races, no motorhome, no A/C, she sleeps in the bed of the truck and only asks that your pit is close to the facility's, She makes a ton of great food and relaxes under the 10x10 canopy and reads when your not racing. ;):):D

She is one in a million and to say you are a lucky dude would be putting it mildly. You should thank the racing gods that she picked you over all the other chooses.:eek::rolleyes::p:)

Lucky / Lucky boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

She you both in August.:)

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

No argument there, even if I was third string. We have 27 years & counting. :D

17. robsimmons

robsimmons

Dang it Dick! :eek:

Look what your influence has done to me!

Saturday I'm going to look at some old '39 Chevy front ends and frames...

Picking up a running Slant 6 and tranny tomorrow...:)

18. storm king

storm king

Now, Rob, maybe we need to talk. I've got a balanced, blueprinted, 12.5:1 slant 6 tht's been ported, has big valves, etc, etc. Are you going to build a true HAMB rail, or an SDRA type car? Because if it's to ba an SDRA car, we might could do something together on it...

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, that's it, just gang up on me! :rolleyes:

Seriously Rob, I can only tell you that I've been hooked for 7 years now, and intend to stay hooked. :D

ps, The SDRA car count's going bananas, pretty much as predicted. I'll stay HA/G(m)R of course, but we all run together at the meets out here (except the runs for the "HAMBie"), so "have it your way".

pss, Welcome a"board"! :cool:

20. robsimmons

robsimmons

I have a couple good 904s and an unknown condition 3 speed, so I'll probably start with SDRA. Bangin' gears seems like a hoot too though!

storm king: I've got two 12:1 slant 6s already along with a tube frame chassis '81 Challenger and a couple Dusters. I wanna keep this one really simple and cheap! :) I like the idea of getting together on a build though! We're almost neighbors! :D

21. storm king

storm king

Yeah, I was up in E-town last week for an event. I'm putting together my brother's new '72 Scamp, which has the springs moved inboard, a full 4130 cage, and a new Indy Cyl Heads 415 stroker. I'm letting him borrow my John Cope 727 just to help get him started. We've also got two '74 Dart Sports we haven't touched yet, a '65 Chrysler two door hardtop, and I'm working, very slowly, on my stretched nose '66 Dart exhibition match racer. You can see pix of some of this stuff in my profile, I think.
    We should get together sometime & tie on a feedbag...

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy,

Well, I took no pictures at Eagle Field, but did take some videos with our new GoPro. Rather boring actually, but I made a few runs, and my buddy Tom (64 DODGE 440) made some as well.

I had the camera set on entirely too large a resolution, so they're massive files, and I can't post'em up here. Rather, here's a link to my YouTube site where I've logged'em in (took over an hour per video, and that's after shortening'em to just the races :eek:). I'll need to re-set the camera by the next race, and widen the view as well. :eek:

At any rate, there they are ...... :rolleyes:

We had an absolute blast the whole weekend. Good meet, good people, good racing, and good friends to share it with. :cool:

Jeana's car has some new work, and out ran us all weekend. It also helped that she was walking on water (at the wheel), and could do no wrong, making not a single mistake. ;) Killer racing, Kid! :D

Joe took HAMBie home once again, and broke something ...... once again.
    ps, Joe, thanks for that mini-spool

Les's was the car we were well matched with this time around, we split our runs 50/50 for the weekend. :cool:

Walt and his wife made it with their NWVGD car as well. Beautiful workmanship, and fast, that one. Great guys they are too, fitted right in the bunch.

We all celebrated Joe's 75th Birthday by wearing appropriately printed T-shirts, and had a great get-together Saturday evening.
    I NEVER wear T-shirts, but for Joe ...... just this once. ;)

Sunday the "tree" wouldn't work, so Rocky flagged the races for the second day as well. :cool:
    Two solid days of flag start racing. :D :D :D

What a great meet, literally the best meet I've enjoyed since I built the car. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

What you said Dick. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT WEEKEND!! :D

24. Old28

Old28

Well Dick sounds like a fine weekend and I looked at all the videos that you posted and they were great. Wish I could have been there, maybe this fall.

A (GOPRO) camera on the Flying Brick II, New technology on a real old hot rod, what's this world coming to. Now I am sure me and bobw are the only HAMBster's without one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Like I said before, no camera until it makes a full pass. Then I may have to ask you to film it.:D

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I think the best one was running out of gas at the pre-stage area. Just shy of 50 years at it, and I finally do that. :eek: :D

I promise the videos'll get better presented as I figger out the camera (though that may take some time as the thing's smarter'n me :rolleyes:).

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Running out of gas was one of the highlights of the weekend. We should have got film of the pit thrash and the welder. :p

27. spanners

spanners

Nice work at the wheel and the camera. Running out of fuel has happened to the top teams as well so don't sweat it. One of the Aussie blokes even lost a final by not topping up.
    Gotta love the flag starts. It happened a while back at one of the regional tracks and you would surprised how many racers packed up their cars and went home in disgust.
    I haven't learnt how to post a Youtube link yet but look up 'spanners94' havin a fang. This is good old Aussie Holde versus Ford rivalry.

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

OK Kiddies, I screwed up and forgot the case with the cameras in it at the 'Dale last weekend. Had a great time, and the new 'Brick's running really strong. I'll try to find some pictures on-line that I can post up.
    Tom has some from Eagle Field as well, soon as he sizes'em down a bit.

Hitting the asphalt for Bako and Butch's Spring ANRA meet tomorrow morning. Kay packed the cameras so I can't forget'em again. :rolleyes:
    I'm hoping Papa Joe can run me with the new layout, I'd really hate to lose out on Butch's series. If y'all don't hear from me tomorrow night that'll mean I got to stay & run. Here's hoping (have my fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes, and a couple other things crossed for luck :D)......

29. RoadRunner5

RoadRunner5

Good luck Dick. I would think that your launch is a lot better now with more of the weight on the rear.

I tried for several months to get back on here, couldn't so I changed e-mail and name. Joe Hamby

30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Welcome back Joe. Wondered where you had gone.