Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Mercury old Custom convertible found.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lstwsh, Apr 27, 2010.

1. brewsir

brewsir

someone should buy it and fix the rear fenders and put a new front clip on it (go ahead and save the old parts for the survivor lovers) and really have a beautiful car. As is it reminds me of a Morris Minor.

2. I stand corrected, that is definitely a 40 Merc dash.

3. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Under hood pic.There is a hot air heater that works off the exhaust.I have never seen one for a 40s car before.[​IMG]

4. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

A lady owns this car and she has never owned a 39 Merc.

5. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

cfnutcase you might be right but i crawed under the car and although it isn't perfect the floors look really good and the inner rockers appear to be original.We are going to get it back in her garage and jack it up so i can take some underneath pics.Finding a 1940 Merc conv and then having it custimized isn't going to be cheap.I am looking at the car as a survior and would hope someone would keep most of the mods done to the car.

6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I don't think it would sell at auction for 5 figures, sorry. Too many condition issues, despite the history.

7. phat rat

phat rat

I had a 42 Ford sedan a couple of years ago that had that same type of heater

8. vert1940

vert1940

i was with lstwsh when he went to look at the car.it is definitely a 40 merc convert.one thing that lstwsh didn't mention is that the fenders are not molded in..you could if you wanted,unbolt front and rear, find 40 merc front and rear fenders,a hood and grille,and probably be pretty close to having an original 40 merc convert.the drivetrain doesn't look to be changed at all.all the vacuum lines and the cylinders for the top are still in place.it has the correct cast iron brackets in the front floor and behind the front seat,at the door posts.we couldn't get into the trunk,so i don't know what is in there or the condition of it or the tool tray is.the car itself appears to be pretty rust free.we both think she has something there.

9. James427

James427
    BANNED

Car looks like it has a moustache! lol Not the best looking custom out there. I also think that $25K is very optomistic for the car. I'd pay $8,000 so it should be worth about twice that. ;)

10. vert1940

vert1940

11. Tough crowd on here! It think it´s cool as it is, although as this car proves, it´s hard to beat the stock Merc grille. If you can´t see the potential in this car, you need a slap.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  12. kustomriv

kustomriv

kool kustom

Tim

13. alsancle

alsancle

Very few customs are unanimously liked by all. I think it's a fantastic find. Clean it up a bit and have a blast.

14. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Cool old custom, but $20,000...I don't think so.

15. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

yikes... cool find...but not something I would have put in my garage :)

16. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

...hey wait a minute.... I don't own a garage... so what I meant was that this is not a car I would have rented a garage for :)

17. kookee

kookee

I don't think it is that bad. It certainly has character. Not sure $20k is justifyable, but it has a LOT of potential.

Great find!

18. thesupersized

thesupersized

its definitely not the best looking custom, but i wouldnt change it. i think its kind of cool, and it's different than the rest of the 40 merc customs. I think it's ugliness is kind of what actually makes it cool. if it's changed it will just blend in with the rest. needs wide whites.

19. Not only do I think that car is quite cool. I think it needs to be preserved. Look, there are only a finite number of Customs, or Hot Rods, that were built in any particular era and I think it is somewhat important to retain as much of that history as possible.
    Someone needs to buy this and restore it to it's former glory,a nd at that point I think a lot of you will actually like it!

20. OLLIN

OLLIN

some of you guys are crazy. I would put a lacquer paint job, hollywood flipper caps and fix the upholstery, then drive the shit out of that car.

21. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

X2

I've seen some pretty ratty 40 Merc converts go for stupid money and this one is mostly all there & looks pretty solid.

22. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Neat old custom for sure! Thanks for posting! About three or four years ago at the LA Roadsters Fathers day show, there was a very nice old custom 39 mercury convertible that had a chopped windshield and an old carson/gaylord style top that was obviously done back in the day, it had several other custom touches (it was a real clean tastefully done 40's style custom) and it sat out in the for sale area all weekend long and it was priced just around $20,000, maybe $25,000. At the end of the weekend it had still not sold. My friend ended up buying it for probably a little more than half the asking price, don't know for sure. Not to rain on your parade or anything but considering the economy was in better shape back then and that was a better car by far than the one pictured here, i am doubtful that you will get twenty-thousand for the car pictured here. I'm thinking ten would be doing extremely well at least here in California, things may be different in Ohio though, I don't know. Either way Good luck with that and thanks for posting the pics.

23. honeyshotrod

honeyshotrod
    from Louisiana

i think its beautiful. but than again look at my truck.

24. 61TBird

61TBird

NOT Cool...

IF you were serious,you'd put it in the Classifieds FIRST instead of "pimping" the car by posting pics,asking for info on it's history and your "Little Brother" saying he "feels" it's worth mid-20's.

25. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

No Problem.........I appreciate your opinion
    Maybe the car is closer to being in the $15000-$18000 range
    The pictures don't do justice for the car
    When my brother gets back from Knoxville, he plans to take better pictures
    and also under the car and Trunk
    All I know is my brother's friend Mark, sold a "Rough" pars car for $15000
    Any old Rodders from Orlando Fl that recognize the car from1959?

26. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

My brother lives much closer to the car than I do
    His best friend has owned 2 40 Merc Converts, so he knows what they're worth and what places to look for when looking the car over
    Maybe when he gets back from Knoxville, I'll have him put it on the classified
    Nothing wrong with asking about history
    Had I not asked about history of the "Hamke Car", the original owners son would not have it today
    My brother and I are getting "Zero" for helping and old HS friend
    she really hates to get rid of it

27. Hey it's a 40 Merc convert... Those are worth some money for sure.

I would change the front treatment for sure.

28. Muttley

Muttley

BWAHAHAHAHA.....*Deep Breath*.....BWAHAHAHAHAH

29. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

After reading my Post again,I can see what you're saying when I read it again
    I ment to say "Taking offers here first" to sell the car
    I wanted my "Hamb" Friends to get first chance to buy it
    If it doesn't sell here
    Then I'll help the owner sell it elsewhere
    I'm not "Pimping" the car
    I haven't seen the car since 1967
    My brother thinks it's worth mid 20's
    I don't know since I'm not around cars as much as he is

30. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Needs the stock grill back!