Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bob McCoy's '40 Sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 24, 2008.

1. av8

av8

When I last saw the front nerf bar it was hanging in Bob's garage and not about to go anywhere despite some substantial offers for it.

Mike

[​IMG]

2. Brian W

Brian W

Well, this has nothing to do with the car, but Bob McCoy is a top notch guy. Last year he had a display here at the Scottsdale Goodguys, and he GAVE (as in free) a signed piece of his art to my girlfriend's, 7 year old, son. The painting is of the Happy Days cast all piled into a bitchin' "T" tub. He even wrote "To Cameron" on it so it's personalized!

3. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

[​IMG][/IMG]
    I have this picture of Bob McCoy with my woody in Pleasanton. A mutual friend hooked us up. Bobs a great guy.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  4. Ebert

Ebert

While I must admit that my Dad was my inspiration for my 40 sedan, McCoy's ride was what I used as the template for my car's stance.....

I love that ride!

Attached Files:

5. oz40

oz40

Inspiration too us all, so much that I now own only 40 fords.
    Just love the car

6. Proper stance, neat wheel and tire combo, bitchin nerf bar, etc. etc. One of my favorites too.....

7. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

found this article/story on him through google

http://speedstylemagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=31

it says the nerf bar is now on his purple 40

"McCoy owns several hot rods, including the “Red Hawk” ’25 Ford track roadster (which is the fastest one in the world at 217mph), a chopped red flamed Model A coupe, and a purple ’40 Ford standard coupe which is outfitted with the ultimate hot rod relic – the nerf bar off his original black '40 Tudor. "

8. mrdodge

mrdodge

Briefly met Bob when me & my family were at the Goodguys West Coast Nationals in '98. He signed and gave to my 6 year old daughter one of those felt copies of a T shirt design of his '40. Cool car, cool guy and my daughter still has that copy on her bedroom wall.:D

9. thanks Mike, this is the photo I remember also. more than the flames it had the smoothest body and paint a mile deep. Bob's chopped 40 pickup shop truck is running around Oregon and the side boards are hanging on a wall in Oregon city.

10. 4tford

4tford

The car is right anyway you look at it!

11. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Doesn't get any better than that... ;)

12. Turbo442

Turbo442

Sounds like it's time for an interview Ryan!;)

13. Richard Head

Richard Head

There is no need to take any more pictures of that car. That is the perfect angle to view a 40 sedan, it just doesn't get any better. Any other angles would just be a letdown. Maybe the car had a continental kit and hideous taillights grafted to it.

Dave

14. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Bob was one hell of a crazy sprint car driver too!

15. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Actually, having been a former '40 Tudor owner (40Phil! ;) ) and having seen pictures of the back of Bob McCoy's Sedan, I have to agree...

Bob's car was pretty high in the back. I wasn't crazy about that view of the car....

16. The rake was part of what made the car what it was.

17. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

This is the pic that just blew our socks off when it came out.! it just hit us wannabee,s like a ton o bricks! Wow! thats the affect it had, thats why so many remark about it today. Now we see these fab paint jobs but bak in the day this was it!

18. Isn't there a pic of it with a chick sitting on the curb next to it fiddling with a carburetor?

I got it in a book or mag somewhere...

Sam

19. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

That's a similar coupe.

20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a great looking sedan

21. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Just got off the phone with Bob- His biography has been published, and he has copies for sale. First run of 1000 is well on its way to sell out! They aren't even on his website yet (Bobmccoyart.com). E Mail him, or he will have them at Goodguys-Del Mar in April.

22. Bob wasnt at the Scottsdale GG this year, missed our annual talks about the best Ford ever built. Has always been to many in the past. Wife and I always stop to chat with him and his Wife for great periods of time as fellow 40 owners, (couple of coupes, a tudor and a Sedan Del) very friendly Guy. Since we are fellow 40 folks, he said he normally does not do this due to his overwhelming workload, but since he knew the car, he agreed to do one of his great renditions of 40s, this time our Cad powered coupe.
    As you can see, my avatar is the "Real McCoy" of my DeLuxe. He and his Wife are "Super People". Hope to see them again this fall at Scottsdale.

23. razorback

razorback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Sweden

Found a couple of early pics of the McCoy -40.
    From Rodding and Restyling June-56 issue.

Attached Files:

24. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

That's Dave Kinnaman's (Alexandria, IN) clone. He built it many years ago.i

25. Love the car, but HATE the red to yellow flames. Only thing worse is a three color flame job in that style. Always make me think the painter wasn't very talented to do it right.

26. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

That pic just hits me hard! It wasnt just the car , or paint it was the whole scene, here he was hangin out the window like greeting the gang at the drive In. The big rake, and flames, not many flame jobs that bold, some are more detailed and fancy this one somehow just gets to me! Tells you right away he,s a friendly guy.

27. Turbo442

Turbo442

Spoke with Bob and his wife Lynn yesterday at the Goodguys Pleasanton show. Lynn said she tried to sign in on here but wasn't sure it went thru. Anyways she confirmed that the bumper is actually on his current hot rod.

I also bought their book, which they both graciously signed. Lynn wrote his biography, titled; " Circle of Impact ". So far it is a very good read. There are over 500 photos! I recommend it.

28. Bob McCoy is a swell person inside and out. His new book, put together by his wife, is just super. Also he is a Red Hat owner from Bonniville ( 200 MPH club)
    At the 2007 GGs at Del Mar my roadster won Bob's Real McCoy award. Which is a marvelous 3D painting that is about 3.5 ft by 2.5 ft with the roadster breaking through the side of the painting. I could not have gotten anything of greater importance anywhere.

29. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

I Finally found these photos I'd taken back in 2001 at Nats South of the McCoy clone and my 46.

Attached Files:

30. At the 2007 Labor Day Cruise, my coupe won the Bob McCoy Real Hot Rod award, a similar original 3D painting that is about 2 1/2' square. It is the only "trophy" I keep in the house (and that includes the GNRS throphies)
    [​IMG]
    I was really bummed he wasn't there again this weekend. I missed talking with him